Old 01-08-2024, 06:13 PM

Default Wiper motor frustration

Is there some trick to attaching the wiper motor assembly to the firewall? Three 5/16" hex head bolts, rubber grommets for vibration damping (I guess). I can manage to get one bolt in, but I just can't get the other 2 started. I may need an adult beverage. This should be simple. I've done it many times and each time it is aggravating.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did one. I take it you are using new bushings. Its a pain in the rear. To get it done you need to force the bushings inward and hope you catch the hole. It took me a little while and some swearing to get the bolts in.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can, mount it with longer bolts, snug it up ... then remove the longer bolts one by one and replace with the proper pieces.

Old 01-09-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
If you can, mount it with longer bolts, snug it up ... then remove the longer bolts one by one and replace with the proper pieces.
Ah yes, grasshopper, that seems very wise. Thanks for the advice

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 08:45 AM

So, to end this thread, I found 3 long screws and used them to attach the wiper motor (eazy-peazy). I tried to squish down the new rubber bushings since the problem was that the OEM screws did not reach the nuts attached to the firewall. I waited for a cold morning here in Florida (50's), but the grommets seemed to expand outward when I backed off the screws, so I got a welding clamp and used some gentle persuasion to keep the motor/pump assembly in place, then removed one of the long screws. I was then able to easily insert the GM screws and then move the clamp to the next spot.
Start to finish under 10 minutes (the most time was spent removing the long screws). So, all is good now. GM could easily have made those screws 1/4" longer and avoided any problems. I also wadded some masking tape inside the 3/8" socket to push the screws as far forward as possible.
I'm thinking about listing my "Custom GTO Windshield Motor Attachment Screw Set" on EBay. I think $500 is fair...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8502.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	626562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8503.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	626563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8504.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	626564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8505.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	626565  

Old 01-14-2024, 08:57 AM

"Custom GTO Windshield Motor Attachment Screw Set"

Having trouble attaching your GTO windshield washer/pump assembly? Avoid frustration, wasted time and skinned knuckles with this custom, one-of-a-kind attachment screw set. Recently discovered in a GM line worker's tool box, these screws are a must-have for the serious restorer. Eliminated those embarassing scratches to your pump housing. Act now and I will throw in a 3/8" socket with pre-wadded masking tape absolutely free. No returns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8507.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	626566