Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-04-2023, 11:17 PM

Default speedmaster intakes any good ?

speedmaster intakes any good or just clean up the orig. iron ? 400ho 69 engine from grand prix in a 79 f body 3.42 rear

Old 02-04-2023, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought one on their Black Friday ad and had to send it back,looked great,bad machining and would not fit.Sent back for refund no problem.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you really have to ask about "Speedmaster"?

It's what Pro Comp Electronics re-named themselves after folks figured out that Pro Comp was junk.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Do you really have to ask about "Speedmaster"?

It's what Pro Comp Electronics re-named themselves after folks figured out that Pro Comp was junk.
Didn’t know that.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

one of the models is the original tomahawk intake that is supposed to be a holley street dominator ported by SD performance, unfortunately the machining isnt always the best & will need some plenum clean up, but the runners seem to be decent & the one i have fits great with good bolt hole alignment.

but compared to a factory iron i doubt theres much if any performance gain especially if the factory is ported. & depending on the car or carb you have it may cause issues with linkage or shaker fitment/clearance. aside from a little weight savings or being shiny i would probably keep the iron intake.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like mine on my 455. Good finish and port alignment, I think I had on runner that I ground a snick off for gasket match. Much stronger low end rsponse ( it's a dual plane) and better drivability than the Holley Street Dominator I had it. It probably gives up a touch of top end pull to the SD but I don't spend a lot of time "up there" and the better driving manners (crisper throttle response) is worth the trade-off.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The information below is regarding my observations with the original Tomahawk single-plane intake. I presume it will applyto the Speedmaster single-plane intake as well. But that presumes the Speedmaster casting is up to par and its design is the same as the Tomahawk intake, I personally have no experience with it.

The front runners are not the same size as several of the other runners and if memory serves me right the #1 runner is worse, be careful with runner blending.

For marketing reasons, the port entrances as cast are very small. Be prepared to open them up unless used on un ported small factory heads. Also for those who use a tall intake gasket you can go up to about 2.300" on the port openings, BUT there is not much meat at the top for sealing. Doing so I found about 1/8-inch above the ports. The Fel-Pro 1233 intake gasket at 2.200" tall should be no issue, but it will take quite a bit of grinding and runner blending.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post: