Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default JPR Timing Sets

Hey guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on the JPR timing sets. I see they have 9 key ways to adjust. Is this good bad or ok?
I will be degreeing the cam.
Thanks

Old 02-03-2023, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know about JPR timing sets as I have always used Cloyes sets with no problems; they've degreed well.

https://www.cloyes.com/part-finder/?...=applicationhp

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 02-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on Cloyes timing sets. American company, Quality chains, accurate billet sprockets and keyways. Reasonable cost. Proven in Pontiac application to 3500 HP for multiple race seasons. Hard to argue with success. JPR says nothing about where they source their chains. Roll the dice.

Old 02-04-2023, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 on Cloyes timing sets. American company, Quality chains, accurate billet sprockets and keyways. Reasonable cost. Proven in Pontiac application to 3500 HP for multiple race seasons. Hard to argue with success. JPR says nothing about where they source their chains. Roll the dice.

JPR = $126.15
Cloyes 9 keyway billet street set $83.00
Cloyes 9 keyway race double roller with Z chain, strongest chain in the industry, no measurable stretch in Pontiac nitro funny car application for 2 seasons.
$144.00.

For reference.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cloyes only for me. And I absolutely will not use any RollMaster sets. I've had several in here that were off on sprocket inside dimensions and also when degreeing them in.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
Cloyes only for me. And I absolutely will not use any RollMaster sets. I've had several in here that were off on sprocket inside dimensions and also when degreeing them in.
I have degreed many camshafts from many brands of timing sets and engines. The very worst I have ever seen happened to be a Pontiac. The timing set was some off brand called "Wolverine". This over 20 years ago. But it degreed-in 17 degrees from spec. No kidding. I was sure I was doing something wrong so I checked multiple times. 17 degrees off every time. I had an old used Cloyes set laying around and threw it on just to check what was going on. It was within 1-2 degrees. Pretty sure that was the last non-Cloyes timing set I ever bought. Why look for a problem that isn't there? Cloyes checks all the boxes for me after doing this stuff for 50 years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been decades since i've heard the name Wolverine
back in the 80s/early 90s, they were hot, and i've never had nor heard of anyone with issues, but as with anything..... you just never know. Go di used to LOVE their flat tappet cams....
since i have not been able to get them in decades (they are long gone), i've used and preferred Cloyes as i've never had issues with them. machining seemed great, fits were great, quality there, and availability.
but then again, it has been a while since i've needed to use anything.
last one i bought was the JBP one, seems ok, just a slight bit loose, but... no issues, not much of bounce on marks, and fit/function has been fine. Vizard showed a video of how a tight chain lost power, which i thought was interesting, and he also showed a very loose one, which made more power, just odd as i've always thought having tighter was better and more accurate
guess that goes with the great debate of gear drives, some say great, some say bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have degreed many camshafts from many brands of timing sets and engines. The very worst I have ever seen happened to be a Pontiac. The timing set was some off brand called "Wolverine". This over 20 years ago. But it degreed-in 17 degrees from spec. No kidding. I was sure I was doing something wrong so I checked multiple times. 17 degrees off every time. I had an old used Cloyes set laying around and threw it on just to check what was going on. It was within 1-2 degrees. Pretty sure that was the last non-Cloyes timing set I ever bought. Why look for a problem that isn't there? Cloyes checks all the boxes for me after doing this stuff for 50 years.

Old 02-06-2023, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I have always been a Cloyes guy. But the current 461 was aligned bored, just kissed the block.
Cloyes .005 short chain does not use the "Z" seamless roller high end chain. Just the std set uses it.
Butler sells a Rollermaster .005 short chain that does use the seamless roller Iwis chain so I bought it.
Cam was on a 112 and came in at 111.5.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cloyes - 9-3512X9 or 9-3612X9 are good choices. I spent a few days in a deep dive researching chains, because I was having issues getting my cam where I wanted it. Cloyes is made in the US. Most everything else is not.

I picked the 9-3612X9 that has both sprockets heat treated. Dialing in the cam timing is so much easier with new TC setup.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. The JPR could’ve been bought for $65 from the guy hit I went with the Cloyes anyway