Old 01-18-2023, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i use the procar rally seats in a 72 firebird and am very happy with them. they are not cheap priced or quality, they are about $350ea now. they are very comfortable & the high side bolsters really hold you in place unlike most factory seats... plus they recline!

i went with the standard vinyl that seems to be very good quality & no signs of ripping, cracking or wearing out but they offer colors & i think a microfibre fabric or even real leather for added cost.

the vertical stitching matched the factory rear seats & door panel stitching of some mid to later 70's cars, i used some 78 firebird rear seats & they are a pretty good match. they make a low back version too for earlier muscle cars that used that style but i prefer the higher backs with adjustable head rests.

be aware the seat tracks they come with are universal & the bolt holes wont line up with the factory locations on the floor for most cars, they sell vehicle specific tracks but they are expensive & most say they are too tall for most average height people. i chose to make some custom brackets out of 3/16" thick plate steel to bolt to the seat that allowed me to use the factory tracks, the seats sit at about factory height.
Way Cool!!!
I may have to drop by CR and scope those out!!!
I don't get to Iowa enough....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-18-2023, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Way Cool!!!
I may have to drop by CR and scope those out!!!
I don't get to Iowa enough....
yeah let me know if you do. did you see we had tornados here on monday? in middle of january!

Old 02-02-2023, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question for those that have them. Are they truly comfortable for not necessarily long trips all the time but a LOT of driving. I use my car and I don’t want to sit on a cinder block. Ideally I’d find a frame or tracks for my bench and just fix it but it’s coming up a big goose egg as far as what I’ve willing to pay

Old 02-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

lots of the comments above state they are very comfortable...

Old 02-03-2023, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I read that but there is a difference between driving to cars and coffee once a month and driving every other day 45 mins each way

Old 02-03-2023, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i do a lot of driving in my cars, didnt do much last year due to the cheap gas we had...

i go for 1 hour or more drives around town & twisty back roads pretty regularly & the seats are very comfortable, the cushions are more on the firm side compared to the super soft pillowy factory 2nd gen firebird seats, never really sat in factory 60's gto seats. but the firmness of the cushions is a benefit IMO that goes along with how well the bolsters hold you in place, plus the recline ability lets you adjust the seats to your liking which no 60's or 70's factory seats can do. aside from the vinyl being hotter than fabric in the hot summer months, these seats are as comfortable as the recaros in my 81 t/a & the bolsters hold you in much better. all around they are excellent seats IMO for comfort, durability, quality & value.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally dont like them, but im a big guy. Between the bolsters pinching my thighs and the back having a curve (oposite of lumbar support) they make me slump and, they kill my back after 1/2 hour. I made my own bracket to make the m sit as low as possible and they're still higher than factory seats.
They are small. No more holding a beverage between you legs.
But they look nice and im dealing with them. Its nice that they recline! Ill end up swapping them out some day. JMO

'78 Macho T/A DKM#95, 460cid, SRP pistons, KRE 310 D ports,
3" pypes, Hooker 1 3/4" headers, hydraulic roller,
10" Continental, 3.42 gears
11.5 @117.5mph 3900lbs
([_|_] ##\|/##[_|_])
Old 02-20-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
I picked up a pair of 4th gen Trans Am seats from the scrap yard for $350.
Basically the same shape as aftermarket seats and dimensionally the same as '69 Birds. They are comfortable and good quality. I'm sewing up the new trims right now. The vinyl cost me $50 for enough yardage to make front and rear trims. Used commercial sewing machines are pretty cheap or you can find a trim shop local to you.

Yo Hoov, did you ever finish the seats? If so how did they turn out?

Old 02-20-2023, 04:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird69 View Post
Yo Hoov, did you ever finish the seats? If so how did they turn out?
Funny you ask. It's been 40 or so years since either of us have done this. The clutch on our sewing machine broke 2 weeks ago. It's a 1947 Singer and the part should be in this week. We got this far. But the center section in front is too wide, so I tore out the stitches and will redo it. The first one is a long process and it not as simple as copying the size of each piece and sewing them together. This is also a difficult cushion style to replicate. Hard to get the little wings tucked down in the center section. GM used velcro to fasten the cushion trim instead of hog rings. I'm using hog rings. It's winter, have plenty of time, it will be worth the effort in the end.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat trim.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	607583  

Old 02-20-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Funny you ask. It's been 40 or so years since either of us have done this. The clutch on our sewing machine broke 2 weeks ago. It's a 1947 Singer and the part should be in this week. We got this far. But the center section in front is too wide, so I tore out the stitches and will redo it. The first one is a long process and it not as simple as copying the size of each piece and sewing them together. This is also a difficult cushion style to replicate. Hard to get the little wings tucked down in the center section. GM used velcro to fasten the cushion trim instead of hog rings. I'm using hog rings. It's winter, have plenty of time, it will be worth the effort in the end.

Sounds like quite the job and I can already see that they are going to be really nice.