Old 11-04-2022, 11:39 AM

Default What are options for dash repair for radio?

I am looking to install a radio in the dash of my 1971 GTO which of course has a cut out from back in the day when everyone was putting in those old Alpine units. Is there such a thing as a repair kit for this cutout or do I just install something that has a face plate which will cover up what has been cut out?

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 11-04-2022, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I opted for the latter...I wanted a modern unit anyways

I have seen a few dash "cut-outs" for sale here and there however so it is possible to meld one in.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There used to be a metal repair panel kit available years ago. But not anymore.

If anyone reads this who has the means to repop this metal area and make them available again -- I have this section cut out from a wasted 70-72 dash I could lend out as a template.
I'm sure the catalog parts vendors would carry them/buy them also.

Not looking to sell the piece outright as I have a dash that will need it
It will work for any 69-72 Poncho A-Body
And likely also any 70-81 Poncho F-Body

Old 12-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At some point I'd like to try to 3D print patch panels for the plastic dash, although obviously that's not an ideal solution, nor would it provide the necessary support. Possible with some very careful cutting of the original dash you'd just end up with a small visible seam on either side of the patch.

Dashes with a fine texture molded in might be hard to reproduce. Dashes that take an applica would be easier as it would cover most of the seams.

Old 12-11-2022, 09:03 AM

I have the same problem with my dash. I finally talked a graphic designer into making me a decal of my 71 LeMans dash which I applied to a faceplate. It is not flawless but is a lot better than what was there. I tried to get a piece 3D printed but could not get the lines fine enough with the printer that we had access to. I REALLY hope someone reproduces this part.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lifetime Goat - are you talking about the steel dash or the plastic bezel? Seems replies address both. The bezel is obviously harder to repair but bezels can be bought used easier than the steel, can't they?

I had to cobble a repair for my dash cutout after searching for a steel patch panel that didn't exist. Seems a patch panel would have enough market to justify the development, but cost of conventional tooling for steel stamping would be a barrier.

Someone like Dataway needs to make low-cost tooling for low-run stampings. This would be a great application as it doesn't need much strength. Could be made from really thin and soft steel sheet, then stacked and spot-welded or glued to stiffen it up.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding just repair of the plastic dash bezel around radio opening -
If they still repop the 69 lower dash trim kit (3 plastic pieces with chrome edges and woodgrain applique) the radio section of that kit could be utilized in a repair.

Then you could utilize the 70-72 GTO swirl applique all the way across.
Or aftermarket adhesive woodgrain (some 71 or 72 came this way)
Or anything else an imagination can choose.

If you want to replicate the thin ribbed silver plastic that most non-GTO's had .... idunno what to suggest other than finding a full replacement bezel still virgin.