Old 02-23-2022, 06:55 PM

Default 70 GTO and Lemans build sheet find

Removed the seat backs from the bucket seats to my 70 GTO convertible project today. Found a build sheet in the passenger seat first and was elated until I realized it did not match my car. Found the second build sheet in the drivers seat and it does match my car so back to being pleased.
So.
The one in the passenger seat goes to a Lemans hdtp 23737 Palamino Copper with black vinyl top and saddle interior. vin ending in 121715. My vin ends in 705. I'm figuring 715 got my seat and I got 715s seat as both have saddle interior. LOL
So if anyone has or knows of a 70 Lemans Hardtop with vin 23737B121715 Palamino Copper W/ Black vinyl top and saddle interior sold in York Pa. I have your build sheet and would love for you to have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3336.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	584769  

71 Pontiac GT-37 400 4 spd (sold)
71 Formula 400 turbo 400 (sold)
01 Firebird T/A WS6 auto (fun)
64 Tempest Post car LS1/4L60E (Love It!)
65 Lemans Post car LS1/4L60E (More Fun)(sold)
73 Lemans GT 400/auto 1 owner 52k miles
69 El Camino LS1/4L65E (Awesome)
70 Pontiac GTO Convertible 400/400 Original
69 Olds Cutlass S W31 Numbers matching 4Spd 3:91 one of 569
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S Courter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Always interesting to find build sheets.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:52 PM

I found the build sheet for my 71 lemans sport convert on top of the gas tank. Anyone know how to read the codes? For instance, the fuel pump box shows a 3. Is that a particular pump??

Old 12-17-2022, 08:29 AM

Interesting... that's the only place I haven't checked for mine. I've heard of it being on the gas tank, or on top of glovebox and other odd places. Thanks for that info. I know what I'm doing today....

Old 12-17-2022, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you post a scan of your buildsheet?

Probably depends on plant made at and year etc.

But some like that are the last digit(s) of the part # for the item.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-17-2022, 09:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found three build sheets in my 71. Originally it had a bench seat in it and there were two in the springs, one on each side. I was very happy even thought one was in pieces and the other in decent shape. Then i had to take the drivers door panel off and low and behold there was one in perfect shape, taped on all four corners to the inside of the panel. All three of them matched my vin. Could not believe my car would have had more than one at the most. Always wondered if another is over the gas tank.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Can you post a scan of your buildsheet?

Probably depends on plant made at and year etc.

But some like that are the last digit(s) of the part # for the item.

The build sheet for my 71 sport convert.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf build.pdf (238.0 KB, 106 views)

Old 12-18-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks!

Yours being a 1971 and Pontiac plant is different than the 1970 one in this thread.

Took a while to find where the pump section is, but I would say the '3' is for the last digit of the part number or it's called a 'pick' number.

You may have to look at a Accs Parts Catalog to see if it has fuel pump numbers in it.

I did see where a 71 Judge had a '3' in the pump column, so would be the same pump for either car.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-18-2022, 05:15 PM

Thanks. I'm trying to determine which fuel pump it should have (400/4bbl/no A/C, three lines), the big can or the small can................................The manual shows two pressure rating, low pressure for "no A/C" and higher pressure for "with A/C and all 4BBL," so not so clear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pumps.pdf (264.6 KB, 96 views)

Old 12-18-2022, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '71 would have the AC 40863 fuel pump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1971GTOFuelPump.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	603764  

Old 12-18-2022, 10:07 PM

Thanks. Why do some cars have the larger can fuel pump?

Old 12-19-2022, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually cars with 4 bbl carbs will have it, and possibly cars with A/C?

Old 12-31-2022, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Courter View Post
Removed the seat backs from the bucket seats to my 70 GTO convertible project today. Found a build sheet in the passenger seat first and was elated until I realized it did not match my car. Found the second build sheet in the drivers seat and it does match my car so back to being pleased.
Had that happen to me as well - found a build sheet for another car in a car that I disassembled. I think it was a Mopar, but that's been 20 or so years ago, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:27 AM

I feel like Harrison Ford/Nicolas Cage every time I find a build sheet. To me it’s sacred history. And finding it is to be a part of it. The Holy Grail of automotive, beads of sweat break out every time as I remove it to “safety” and, start the deciphering “the code”. Ok. I’m weird. But, I know I’m not the only one. To me fining the build sheet is the ultimate authentication and, the absolute best part of the dismantling process. I just hope some 90 year old retired autoworkers are getting a kick out of reading where we find them and, know how much it means to some of us to have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to TxSportCoupe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's fun to find original build sheets, factory markings, and owners manual packets with protect-o-plate after all these years.
I have kept many build sheets from parts cars over the years. I laminate them to preserve them so I can use them as reference material .

Found 2 build sheets on top of a gas tank in a 68 GTO one time and the second sheet was for another car.

A 67 GTO had "vinyl" marked in floor under bucket seat. Vinyl top car.

Good luck with your project.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe View Post
I feel like Harrison Ford/Nicolas Cage every time I find a build sheet. To me it’s sacred history. And finding it is to be a part of it. The Holy Grail of automotive, beads of sweat break out every time as I remove it to “safety” and, start the deciphering “the code”. Ok. I’m weird. But, I know I’m not the only one. To me fining the build sheet is the ultimate authentication and, the absolute best part of the dismantling process. I just hope some 90 year old retired autoworkers are getting a kick out of reading where we find them and, know how much it means to some of us to have them.

Ditto!!!

Old 01-16-2023, 02:39 PM

Default Fuel pump ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Thanks!

Yours being a 1971 and Pontiac plant is different than the 1970 one in this thread.

Took a while to find where the pump section is, but I would say the '3' is for the last digit of the part number or it's called a 'pick' number.

You may have to look at a Accs Parts Catalog to see if it has fuel pump numbers in it.

I did see where a 71 Judge had a '3' in the pump column, so would be the same pump for either car.

Thanks, interesting. What is an ACCS parts catalogue?

Old 01-16-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually Chassis & Body Parts Catalog
(too many words for me to type usually )

2nd page shows other books:

Huge book about 4/5 inches thick and usually comes in pairs.
One for description and other Illustrations etc.

Also was put out roughly yearly or so.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chassis-body-catalog-pic.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	605321   Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis-body-catalog-page2-pic.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	605322  

Old 01-16-2023, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics from that book:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70-fuel-pumps.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	605324   Click image for larger version

Name:	70-fuel-pumps1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	605325  

Old 01-16-2023, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSportCoupe View Post

Me too. I can say for a fact that some mid 60 year old retired auto workers are getting a kick.

I just wish we all had thought to keep some of this stuff. I threw about 900,000 build sheets away at the end of the line. I also threw away dozens of assembly manuals when the new pages came in. Followed my own truck down the line and never thought to keep any of the paperwork (repair tickets, build sheets, etc).

Anyway - here's the only build sheet I've ever found out of all my collector vehicles. Top of the fuel tank on my GTO:

I've got the interior out of my Chevelle installing a roll cage so I'm going to take another look behind the quarter trim panels and headliner. I've already had the seats apart, doors gutted, carpet out and replaced the fuel tank with no luck.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO Build Sheet.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	605326  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926