Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-30-2023, 06:03 PM

Default Factory gauge conversion?

So after testing all of my nvu gauges half of them don’t check out as accurate and it’s the gauges not the sending units or wiring. I put them in there as my factory ones most didn’t work.

Is it worth buying a used set on eBay that has been tested and in working condition? I prefer the look of the original ones but curious if I’m signing myself up for a fight be buying a different brand of gauges. Getting tired of fighting with the gauges for the t/a, just need a set that works reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 01-30-2023, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i would send the original gauges to peter serio on this site for a rebuild.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:47 PM

I agree, send the gauges to Pete - he will take care of you

Old 01-30-2023, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X3 to Pete at Precision Pontiac. They will be spot on correct. Sped the time and money once and be done.

Tim john---

Old 01-30-2023, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed Dakota digital in my 70 camaro. I am very happy with them. Wasn't that involved but did help being an electrician. It also allowed me to get rid of all the aftermarket gauges.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Meanwhile verify the grounding; intentional ground wire from gauge circuit to firewall.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 10:51 AM

Everything is double grounded at the firewall in the attempt to remedy the issue. Wonder how bad the rebuild cost on all the gauges would go for?

By the time I get all the gauges, senders, figure out the speedo and a new printed circuit I’m in to it a decent bit but it’s still about half the aftermarket setup

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
The Following User Says Thank You to Vroom_vroom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
So after testing all of my nvu gauges
Never heard of that brand.

Got a link?

When it's me, I buy Autometer or, rarely, VDO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Other than the clock, I have found factory TA gauges to be really good. Another vote for Peter Serio, Precision Pontiac. His work is VERY impressive. A true craftsman.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2023, 11:44 AM

Any one have a picture or a link to the light socket for the fuel/ volt gauge. Looks like I have got pretty much everything tracked down except for that part. It looks like it was not saved from my car so I’m not even sure what it looks like

Old 01-31-2023, 01:19 PM

Well won my gauges this am for the main cluster so factory gauges are a go!

Also any chance someone can give me the pin out for the fuel gauge? I have one to test but don’t want to fry it not knowing what tabs are the power/sender/ground.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
So after testing all of my nvu gauges half of them don’t check out as accurate and it’s the gauges not the sending units or wiring. I put them in there as my factory ones most didn’t work.
My mechanic is in the process of putting in the NVU 69 Direct Fit gauges for my 69 Bird. Are yours an older set, or recent?

Just hope selling my T/A aftermarket gauge set (which needed minor work) wasn't a total cluster....

Old 01-31-2023, 06:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Never heard of that brand. Got a link?
https://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/

NVU pi$$ed me off. Their photo of the '69 Bird cluster shows the gauges mounted with the cluster upside down. I called them to inquire before I spend that much money and they told me I was mistaken and their photo of the cluster was correct as shown. It's not going to fit. I'm not buying from a company that doesn't know their product or have questionable customer service when there is a problem. I got full gauges (fuel, oil, temp, volts, clock, electronic speedo) from Autometer and saved money. I'm going to add a hood tach this year.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_145513b.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	606420  

Last edited by HoovDaddy; 01-31-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
NVU pi$$ed me off. Their photo of the '69 Bird cluster shows the gauges mounted with the cluster upside down. I called them to inquire before I spend that much money and they told me I was mistaken and their photo of the cluster was correct as shown. It's not going to fit. I'm not buying from a company that doesn't know their product or have questionable customer service when there is a problem. I got full gauges (fuel, oil, temp, volts, clock, electronic speedo) from Autometer and saved money. I'm going to add a hood tach this year.
I already called them out on the installation manual and the spacer goof, plus a number of other things. If you have an original spacer you have to Dremel off certain ridges on the back left side (the 45 degree angle part) to let the gauge sit flat.Pic below with arrow pointers.

You also have to carve off some of the brake pedal bracket to allow clearance.
They are incorporating my pics, and mods into their new install manual. Apparently they've already sent out my mods to other 69 FB installers to remedy the deficiencies. Hopefully with these changes they'll be all dialed in. Sorry you had a bad experience, I had to be my usual prick self to get their attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69FBspacercutmarks.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	606430  

Old 01-31-2023, 10:36 PM

Mine are an older set, air core type gauges. They are pure garbage. Perhaps the new ones are better as they are stepper motors. The retailer I bought them from dropped them not long after I got my set……… it’s been so long since I got them my wife reminded me I went through hell to get them working correctly in the beginning when I bought em.

Well luckily my secondary’s all tested out as working! Polished up the lens and they will be ready to go in once my main cluster comes in.
My plug for the cluster was cut too close to be useful so I pulled it apart and re wired it so it can be spliced back onto the main harness.

Feel like I got lucky with the main cluster as it has the 8k tach in it but with the 100 speedo.
Now for the head scratching on what speedometer gear I need……..

Old 02-01-2023, 02:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Mine are an older set, air core type gauges. They are pure garbage. Perhaps the new ones are better as they are stepper motors. The retailer I bought them from dropped them not long after I got my set……… it’s been so long since I got them my wife reminded me I went through hell to get them working correctly in the beginning when I bought em.
I've got the newer stepper motor gauges in mine. Crossing my fingers on them working right since they have a number of features I like. I also didn't want to put a tach on the hood, if possible.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:26 PM

So my donor cluster came out of a 76 firebird, it’s going into a 77. My question is did they make a 8k tach that was just wired in through the harmonica plug? There is no separate connections on the back of the case and from what I have been reading they had a separate ground wire for the tach coil?

Old 02-01-2023, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

The NVU gauges finally got fitted in my 69 dash today. Took some more finagling and massaging beyond the previous adjustments, but they're in.

I actually got to hear the motor run today. Kudos to Jeff @ KRE for the recommendation on the cam, lifters, roller tipped rockers, pushrods, intake, etc, etc.

If I'm lucky they'll have the carb dialed in, timing dialed in, and ready to rock on Friday.

Fingers crossed...

Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 PM

Well got my gauge wiring back to stock connections. Only had 8 hours in repairing my wiring harness (including taco break lol) got the printed circuit to work well enough to test a my gauges and lighting. All are good to go, now just waiting on a new pcb, senders, speedometer cable, and my new dash bezel. Threw some led bulbs in there while I was at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vroom_vroom For This Useful Post: