Old 08-31-2021, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody has got to win that PowerBall ... sometime , somewhere .
You could be NEXT !

A few Christmas's ago was out & about with my Mom and Brother,
We stopped at a store for something -
and i got the idea of making us all millionaires for Christmas !

Bought all of us a PB Ticket for Christmas gift { }
We all picked out our own "lucky numbers" - and i did 1 more ticket letting the computer generate the lucky numbers.

Deal was - if any ticket WON - we split it 3 ways.
None of us even matched ONE NUMBER with our "lucky numbers"
..... the stupid computer matched 2 numbers

Old 08-31-2021, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post

My decision was pretty much made FOR me.

It was strictly dictated by finances...........Finally dawned on me that I can't afford a Pontiac hobby................

BUT, if I win a million or more Powerball money, my Pontiac hobby will be instantly revived & upgraded, tremendously !

Well, I should have read from page one first..... sorry things played that way. The cars are a money pit. They are a huge energy effort. As I age I find more and more value in simplicity. Trade offs in everything.

Wish you luck. There is a demand here for old school hot rod wrenchers, not sure if that is side money potential there. BTW, I worked for the old Century Tel which started as a family company out of Monroe.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Somebody has got to win that PowerBall...
You could be NEXT !..."

Yep ! That's the way I see it.

I've got the Powerball number maybe a dozen times. And I've got the PB + 1 several times. So, I reckin $7 is the most I've ever won.

But hey, it only takes ONE ticket with all the right numbers, to change a person's life.

I'm probably NEXT !!!

Old 01-09-2022, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default The Caddy

Hey ya'll, I just got a blast-from-the-past !

I think I probably mentioned this in this story. Not sure tho.

Anyhow, back in either '77 or '78, probably both years, when we went to the div 4 Bracket Finals @ Green Valley Race City, in Texas, there was a very unusual bracket car there. It was a full size Caddy.

My memory tells me it had a 500 cube engine with 2-fours on it. May be wrong about that. Anyhow, to our surprise, it ran 11's.

We'll, we really got a surprise a few minutes ago. TJ was lookin at the FB page of a lady that was married to a guy that raced with us back then. She also worked in the tower at 2 of the TX tracks where we raced.

Well, she posted a pic & a link to this article I'll link here. It's about that Caddy we saw at Green Valley. She had gone to those bracket finals & also remembered the Caddy. Hey, back then, you didn't see an 11 sec Caddy just every day.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motors...6mO6OJ6l0OkMTM

And, speakin of those TX tracks, a guy who ran 2 of 'em just posted this pic. It's showing what the former Tyler TX track looks like today. Looks like some sort of business out there now.

Pics 3 & 4 show how part of it looked in '78.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flash in '78 .jpg
Views:	199
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	581642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Former Tyler Track .jpg
Views:	199
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	581645   Click image for larger version

Name:	I-20 Tree & GTO .jpg
Views:	202
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	581646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyler '78 .jpg
Views:	193
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	581647  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-09-2022 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:04 PM

I just read this whole thing beginning to end and it’s a real page turner. You and your wife are definitely a match made in Heaven. I’m glad you two picked Pontiac for your car of choice. Sounds like you two have made other people respect Pontiac over the years. You are a real deal gear head. Appreciate you taking the time to share your Pontiac journey.

Old 01-10-2022, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks !

Believe me, it has been our pleasure !

We got to relive some really great times in our lives, both thru the pics & telling the story.

TJ would remember some things I didn't, & vice versa. And the scrapbook & racing journals reminded us of some things both of us had forgotten.

Getting it all in this thread would have been a LOT easier if I'd known how to use a computer. But I had to learn as I went along. Didn't even know how to upload pics back then.

Didn't have home internet at first. Did some inside the library in the town about 7 miles away. Spent many hours parked in the library parking lot, so I could use their internet when they were closed.

Now, it's like so many other things in life. "It's easy when you know how to do it."

And, we now have cheap home internet, since they put up a new AT&T tower about a mile from us.

Our verizon hot spot internet had a 24gig monthly limit, IIRC. So, when we had that, I still had to go to the library a LOT, so TJ could have more time on her Mac desk top. Now I think our monthly limit is more than 350gigs, for just the base plan. We never even come close to that.

I have posted so many pics of Stock & Super Stock drag Pontiacs on so many sites, it seems that most every time I Google for some kind of Pontiac drag car I see some pics I posted somewhere.

It's a computer world. But I still remember when I use to say something like: " All I know about a computer is which part the mouse is, & that's all I wanna know about 'em. "

Old 06-05-2022, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To friends of Ponyakr (Don Hurst), it is with sadness, and yet with rejoicing that I have to report that he went to be with his Lord on June 5, 2022. Ponyakr has been in the "pits" for a while, working on trying to get that body to work right, but he just couldn't get it going again. Now his race is over and he's gone home. But I can assure you, his rewards there in heaven are much better than any trophy or award for races he ever won on earth!

As he's preached many times, here and on other forums, he would want you all to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior so you can be assured of an eternal home in heaven. He wants to meet all you other Pontiac geeks in person! (Rom. 10:9-11)

There never could have been a better son, brother, partner, hubby (of 43 years - 54 if you could the years we dated before marriage) - and friend. The world needs more men like him!

I want to thank you all here for accepting him as one of you - he dearly loved to get online and "yak" about Pontiacs. Thank you for your prayers and concerns these last few weeks and I ask for your continued prayers for me as I carry on without my best buddy. - T.J. Hurst (wifey)

Old 06-05-2022, 03:34 PM

Unhappy

RIP Don.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sad and surprised to hear this. I always enjoyed his posts here about so many subjects. My prayers and deepest condolences to you and yours T.J.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:46 PM

As a friend since 1975 Don and I shared many of the best racing on dirt track and drag racing..
We swapped cars and parts back and forth so much it was hard sometimes to know what was who’s… I truly am going to miss all the bench racing we have done at car shows and hundreds of hours on the phone making plane to whoop “hard luck chevy boys” his most often quote.
Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend until we meet again.
Wild Bill Jenkins

Referred to as “WB” and “MB” in many many of his stories.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm very sorry to read that Don has passed. May he rest in peace.

Old 06-05-2022, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry to hear. i really enjoyed reading his stories and looking at all the pictures. prayers for you TJ got to be tough for you.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:05 AM
Senior Chief

RIP Don, I’ll miss reading your posts. My sincere condolences TJ.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, kind comments and continued prayers for us. The photo I chose is him in his beloved GTO. Just the way I like to remember him.

https://www.edmondsfuneralhome.com

Old 01-30-2023, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was just reading a post in the street section about oil filters where someone commented they were trying to send Don a PM - but his inbox was full.

Another member informed that we had lost Don last year.
I had no idea at all , and it breaks my heart to find it out now.
I go through spans of inactivity on here from time to time and evidently he passed while I was MiA.

We had a blast test driving and comparing lots of various battery powered chainsaws and weed-eaters a while back on here. Doubt I would have gotten involved with them if he had not shared his info about them with us.
Then I got hooked on them too.

Hopefully TJ gets a notification about posts to this thread.
We used to always congratulate Don on having such an outstanding Wife.
Now I want to congratulate TJ on having had such an outstanding Husband.
Very genuine and down to earth guy , and about the size of a mountain.
I remember nicknaming him the Amos Moses of eBay after a couple of his deals got sideways or bent.
He straightened them out.

His participation on here will be missed.
Sad that he had to move onward and upward.
Wishing continual strength and peace for you TJ

an updated link to Dons obituary
https://www.edmondsfuneralhome.com/o...n-lawton-hurst

Old 01-30-2023, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Was just reading a post in the street section about oil filters where someone commented they were trying to send Don a PM - but his inbox was full.

Another member informed that we had lost Don last year.
I had no idea at all , and it breaks my heart to find it out now.
I go through spans of inactivity on here from time to time and evidently he passed while I was MiA.

We had a blast test driving and comparing lots of various battery powered chainsaws and weed-eaters a while back on here. Doubt I would have gotten involved with them if he had not shared his info about them with us.
Then I got hooked on them too.

Hopefully TJ gets a notification about posts to this thread.
We used to always congratulate Don on having such an outstanding Wife.
Now I want to congratulate TJ on having had such an outstanding Husband.
Very genuine and down to earth guy , and about the size of a mountain.
I remember nicknaming him the Amos Moses of eBay after a couple of his deals got sideways or bent.
He straightened them out.

His participation on here will be missed.
Sad that he had to move onward and upward.
Wishing continual strength and peace for you TJ

an updated link to Dons obituary
https://www.edmondsfuneralhome.com/o...n-lawton-hurst

Don was so cool. It’s funny I knew him from other website (not even a Pontiac site) under a different name for a while before I knew who he was on here .
I wonder how TJ is doing sometimes because I feel like I know her just from his posts or PMs. He was a really good guy w a love for Pontiacs like I’ve rarely ever seen and especially stock and super stock Pontiacs which we had in common. His dedication ran far deeper than even mine though. I was really hoping he’d get better and we could talk again

I rarely post about race Pontiacs and not think about him and what he’d have thought about the topic! That’s how cool he and his posts were.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 01-30-2023, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s kind of funny this topic popped up tonight because I was reading old emails from a Pontiac friend who had passed on a while back tonight.
Ken had owned a RAIII 69 trans am , a RAIV trans am 70, and the Stephens RAV pro stock engine and a Pontiac can am and some other stuff, he was also freinds with Frank from this site a pontiac guy w a 69 TA and 69 GTO, who passed last year. All guys who were really big into Pontiacs and Pontiac race cars. Ken sent me many pictures of my RAIV firebird, just loved the Stephens cars. Frank had been on the edge of his seat to see the RAV engine in the car running but passed the weekend I got it running, IDK maybe those guys were bench racing tonight up in heaven .don’t think they ever all knew eachother but they sure would have all been friends. Certainly could have all interacted on the forums .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post: