THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO4spd View Post
Usually I get "Oh a nova" when I tell someone I have a 74 GTO. I agree that Pontiac should have continued installing 400's in the 74.
That was the big part about people not liking the 73 and 74.... the Nova platform. To be honest, I didn't like them back then cause they didn't look GTO enough. Now they've grown on me but you don't see them that often. There's only one around here we see every so often. They are rare, especially to see one that's been kept looking original. They do look better than the body style of the 04 to 06's. But then again, aerodynamics weren't really a part of the equation for the GTOs back in 73 and 74.

As for the 400s, Pontiac was cutting things back due to the Fed's regulations, and new emissions standards screwed things up royally. But look at today the horsepower these new muscle cars, and the foreign cars are putting out.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like all the GTO's including the 74, but Pontiac obviously was not emphasizing the GTO by that time. When the GTO gets the 350, and the SD455 is available in the Trans Am, the GTO is far behind in performance and image. That was a let down since I was a GTO fan.

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

question?
where all Venturas of this vintage hatchbacks like the camper option shows?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hatchback version was actually rarer (1,723 hatchbacks vs 5,335 coupes). The camper option may seem a bit silly now, but it was a viable option back in the day to make the Ventura more appealing to all buyers.

They had some options on classic GTO's too that people would like to forget.

The 1974 GTO would have been viewed quite differently if Pontiac had simply used their standard 400 in place of the 350, but times were changing. A fuel crisis, desire for better gas economy, and Detroit automakers abandoning big cube muscle cars, whose sales had declined drastically in the past couple years, brought about the popularity of the Gremlin, Vega, Pinto, and in 1974 a revamped Mustang. We can't criticize too much, because all these cars sold well, and in the case of the 1974 GTO, it sold better than the 1973 GTO, so it was a success.

The 1974 GTO was MUCH better looking, and faster, than the 1974 Nova SS. If you want an example of stickers on a car that harken back to the glory days of a particular model, look no further than the pathetic 1974 Buick GSX, built on the Apollo platform, which wasn't even available with dual exhausts or a 4-bbl.

I like 1974 GTO's. I think it's about time classic GTO owners accept them into their fold without prejudice.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 74 GTO also had a functional hood scoop.
The 350 4bbl was new for 1974. Similar bore and stroke to an LS1.
Insurance costs were also a factor. Big-cube cars were expensive to insure. Some insurance companies were even refusing to insure them for younger people.
The camper option was cool for youthful buyers at the time. Minivans didn't exist (except for VW) but sin-bins were catching on. Weekend camping was cheap entertainment in the 70's.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
And the rare camper option!
sure would have made life a little eaiser at the Saturday Nite Drive In

Old 12-27-2013, 06:46 PM

I allways liked them but they did get a bad rap for the motor or maybe it was the decals

original ca car
Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
The 74 GTO also had a functional hood scoop.
The 350 4bbl was new for 1974. Similar bore and stroke to an LS1.
Insurance costs were also a factor. Big-cube cars were expensive to insure. Some insurance companies were even refusing to insure them for younger people.
The camper option was cool for youthful buyers at the time. Minivans didn't exist (except for VW) but sin-bins were catching on. Weekend camping was cheap entertainment in the 70's.
Camping & sleeping out of the back of a hatchback or small SUV is ALSO overrated. Been there, done that.

Good ol' GM also offered a camper/mattress option on these beauties... where are all the takers?

I'm envisioning AzzCracks & '74 GTO's with camper options all in a circle in the far back corner of the Convention parking lot...

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 12-27-2013 at 07:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post

I'm envisioning AzzCracks & '74 GTO's with camper options all in a circle in the far back corner of the Convention parking lot...
"Head 'em move'em out, Rawhide!"

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It probably doesn't matter much changing the opinion of people at this point. The "mojo" is cast. The biggest part of the mystique of a car is it's place in history. We can look at musclecars, ponycars, TA cars, and tie them to a cultural, sociological point in history..... and their legend today rides on the attitudes from the old days continued on.... so the poor 74 GTO (and 73 for that matter)...... they suffer a turning point in Poncho history... when sales and public demand was pointing towards the ponycars, and Pontiac reacted.... they did a real disservice to the Goat legacy, and in two years it looked like a real identity crisis.... seemingly bigger car in one year, then decidedly smaller the next... whoa.... and while 455 birds were easy to get, a 350 Poncho GTO was well, confusing.... and it was strange to all.... I remember talk back then, nobody could figure it out... so it instantly had a "different drummer" mojo, and then ice it with the last hurrah, the one Pontiac gave up after on, while they bedecked TA's in every flambouant color and graphics by 75.... It was a perplexing end to The Legend, and what you have today is all that still confusing Mojo forever cast in stone......

While I like them, I would build a deviant from stock with Lucerne blue and TA white stripe, old style small bumpers, 14 honeycombs, and yes I would do a healthy 350 build!

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but we can't change the place in history our cars have, it is more a cultural identity then a current public perception...

and if it makes you feel better, I drive a "regular" / "plain" / or a little better "standard" Firebird (I defer from claiming Esprit, lah de dah), so homey knows public perception, haha..... dig it and go with it....

Last edited by bird72; 12-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Subjectivity is a never-ending nuance. That said, I would never belittle ANY GTO, but I have to admit that the '73 and the '74 were my least favorite GTOs. But I'd still be proud to own either. The '74 was much lighter than any of its predecessors so it didn't require as much hp or torque to be a great performer.

I love and drive my '04 and '06 GTOs proudly, despite the negative sentiments expressed here and elsewhere. I'm not responsible for their contentment or happiness, only MINE. And if driving a Pacer or Aztec makes someone happy, I have no complaints or comments.

So SCREW what others have to say about what YOU drive or like.

The Following User Says Thank You to pont3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Suspended

GT182 I do hope you know that the 73 was an A-body while the 74 was an X-body , they were completely different cars. In your statement it looks as if your saying the 73-4 GTO'a were both X-body cars. If I'm mistaken please forgive me but it looks as if thats the way your looking at the cars both being the same which they are definitely 2 completely different cars.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 AM

cant say ive ever even seen one of these
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-the-last-gsx/

Old 12-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GTO View Post
The movie is-was...The 7UPS.....with Roy Sheinder as a cop.
That Pontiac had the same sound as Steve McQueens mustang as in Bullit.
That was one of my favorite chase scenes of all time. The '73 Ventura Sprint chasing down a '73 Grandville 4dr Hdtp driven by Bill Hickman, same stuntdriver as the one that drove the Charger in "Bullit", and drove the '71 Lemans in "The French Connection".

Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not only do I like the '74 GTO, but I beleive they should have installed Pontiac engines in the '75 "X" car, and kept making GTO's on that platform until 1979. After that, they would have had to do away with it, or switch to the downsized "A"/"G" platform, because I dont think anyone could have stomached a GTO built on the front drive Phoenix "X" car with the 2.8. I have a '76 Ventura that my Mom bought new in March of '76, and I am bouncing the idea around of adding a GTO style shaker hood (Hood is identical to a '74 even though the sheetmetal elsewhere is different).

Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If we only wanted to drive cars that were accepted, we'd be driving Chevy's.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM

one another note what other car would you buy in 74

original ca car
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackplate View Post
one another note what other car would you buy in 74
Super Duty Formula, Grand Am w/ 4 speed...

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4door View Post
Count me in as one who accepts them. I wouldn't kick a '74 GTO out of my garage.
Maybe not but do you aspire to buy one? I doubt it. I am willing to bet most who own one where not looking for a 74 to purchase rather they stumpled upon one and acted on it.
When I was a kid I despised the 73-74 GTO's I really did not care much for the 70-72's either. I thought the 70 was just way to over the top crazy looking , the nose was way to much and that rear spoiler (picnic table) was just stupid!
Well now I own a 70, picnic table and all and its one of my favorite years. I would deffinatily buy a 73-74 not sure I would keep it though. Who knows maybe 20yrs from now I will warm up to the 04-05-06 "GTO".......I doubt it though

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I have always liked the 74 GTO and have a hatchback in my collection. It is far from my favorite year but, it is still a great little car. I consider it an improvement over the '73.
Remember that Martin Caserio was in charge of Pontiac at the time. He was very antiperformance.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Barcak For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread