Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Default headlights

took my car out last night and never drive at night...headlights were dull as dull can get. They are original T3 can I buy new replacements(modern technology) lamps and just install?

1969 Custom"S" 400 stroked to 455 Holley Dominator 870 Pontiac Performer intake KRE heads Kieth Black pistons Crane Cam Hooker ceramic coated headers CVF Racing pulley system 700r4 trans built/700hp Ford 9" 3.73 posi 4-wheel disc brakes
Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Clean up the connections especially the grounds. The bulb will lose very little light power with age. But the ground connections are usually the problem.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put halogens in mine about 10 years ago. That made quite the difference........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

The Following User Says Thank You to abefromen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Yes you can I got them for my 68 firebird the 5 3/4" it's just the lens and you buy the new bulbs for them at any parts store, Just don't know where for sure I got them, but I know it was online I think it was on ebay and they were not that much money, and you will see a big change at night night, I want to hook up some relays for the hi & low beams just did not get around to it yet because I'm not drawing a lot of of current from my car just the ign. system but if you are using a lot of current thru your car and you make the switch to these lights you may want to also hook up some relays for them it takes the load off your head light switch and your lights won't dull when when you apply more load on your elec.system---BOB

Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Strongly suggest adding relays for headlight operation. I pull power directly from alternator terminal, via fusable link. Verify voltage drop is acceptable on both the power and ground side of the power supply.

Drop-in halogen replacement sealed-beams are readily available and fairly inexpensive.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 AM

I bought Sylvania halogens sealed beams and through they were bright. Last night I installed 35 watt HID's 4500K and love them, best thing is the housings were glass. I paid like $65.00 to do the low beams. Mark

Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressgod1 View Post
took my car out last night and never drive at night...headlights were dull as dull can get. They are original T3 can I buy new replacements(modern technology) lamps and just install?
What alt. / regulator are you using ?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:32 AM

Default alternator

single wire internal regulator 100amp...wiring harness from Madelectric works like a charm. Looking at their web site will invest in the harness for the headlights as well. Halogens will be installed but will see how the originals work first with the new harness.

1969 Custom"S" 400 stroked to 455 Holley Dominator 870 Pontiac Performer intake KRE heads Kieth Black pistons Crane Cam Hooker ceramic coated headers CVF Racing pulley system 700r4 trans built/700hp Ford 9" 3.73 posi 4-wheel disc brakes
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Food for thought here.

I did the relay mod a couple of years ago, but as a before & after process, I measured the current flow on the B+ lead going to the headlamp switch.
It showed 11.8 amps on high beam before the addition of the relays and 0.1 amp current after.

Point of study is that a 45+ year old switch will work & last MUCH longer with reduced current and therefore reduced heat being generated in it's contacts!

Even the Halogen lights showed better light output also.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7058.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	344819  

Last edited by Old Goat 67; 11-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.