Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default WRINKLE ,SMOOTH..TRIM ???

Aight..On the HEADLINER TRIM on a 72..?? the METAL ones above the DOORS..?? are they SMOOTH FINISH or..WRINKLE..?? and the A-PILLARS..SMOOTH or WRINKLE and if they are WRINKLED how would yah do it..?? Krylon wrinkle paint and then Dye the color yah want..?? Is there an OIL yah put on it FIRST then it creates the WRINKLE or..?? would yah use a HEAT GUN to WRINKLE IT..?? and How did the FACTORY creat thoise different styles of WRINKLE finishes..Im tryin to find stuff on the net.but not any about the FACTORY GM styles..anyone know..??

Old 12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

smooth...the ONLY thing to have a wrinkle finish is the steering wheel hub.....

Old 12-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The A-Pillar and door upper side trim metal pieces are smooth. It's only the dash and the little strip at the base of the back window that gets painted with the slightly textured "0-Gloss" finish.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

..Yah sure..cause for some reason Im thinking it had that SUEDE LOOK..?? but Hey..If it was smooth thats easier for me..I was wondering cause the FRONT and BACK HEADLINER TRIM Pieces are Plastic with the Suede look to 'em..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your original question made me think that you were asking if the trim pieces were painted smooth or painted with a textured finish like the metal dash and rear deck. When done correctly these painted area are not really textured, they just have an additive in the paint that gives it them a finish similar to that of about 1000 grit sandpaper. But in your second post you mention that your trim pieces are plastic, which made me remember dealing with a similar issue on my 70 formula.

Picture number one is of the headliner trim that was in the trunk of my car when I bought it. At the time I assumed it was from my car, but it is not. The side trim pieces are plastic while the originals should be metal. If you look at the second picture these are of the correct pillar trim and they are metal and also have the top "corner piece" on the pillar trim while the corner piece is on the side headliner trim on the plastic ones. Also, the plastic ones are textured similar to the same pattern as the front kick panels and rear quarter trim panels. You cannot see it in the picture but they are not smooth. I do not know in what year these changed but I got the correct parts for my car off of a 72 bird, (picture four). So, all the headliner trim and inner windshield pillar trim on my 70 are METAL, and painted smooth (no texture), while the later ones are plastic and textured. The later style inner pillar trim moldings are also metal but they are textured like the plastic headliner pieces. I hope this helps. If you need close up pictures I can get the stuff out of the attic and send better pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2904.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	227951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4219.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	227952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2905.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	227953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4246.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	227959  

Last edited by eaglesan13; 12-13-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

..I had the same problem..I had the WRONG headliner trim as you posted in your first pic...but had the METAL PILLARS with [ tree branch]..and it didnt make sense til i started looking into it, and YES..I NOW have the RIGHT METAL TRIM for the SIDES that CLICK into the roof and not the SCREW IN KIND with the TREE BRANCH on it..and the FRONT AND BACK of the headliner is a Plastic Snap in piece..So..?? back to the original ?? The A-PILLARS and HEADLINER TRIM[ Upper doors] are also a SMOOTH Finish..??

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

also?? what paint did you use for the METAL PARTS..?? Cause I have to DYE alot of plastic parts[ off white] gonna get the SEM stuff.....but can you use the same SEM stuff for the metal parts..??

Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine are smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 the legend View Post
..I had the same problem..I had the WRONG headliner trim as you posted in your first pic...but had the METAL PILLARS with [ tree branch]..and it didnt make sense til i started looking into it, and YES..I NOW have the RIGHT METAL TRIM for the SIDES that CLICK into the roof and not the SCREW IN KIND with the TREE BRANCH on it..and the FRONT AND BACK of the headliner is a Plastic Snap in piece..So..?? back to the original ?? The A-PILLARS and HEADLINER TRIM[ Upper doors] are also a SMOOTH Finish..??

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use the same SEM paint on the metal parts as you use on the hard plastic stuff.

Quote:
also?? what paint did you use for the METAL PARTS..?? Cause I have to DYE alot of plastic parts[ off white] gonna get the SEM stuff.....but can you use the same SEM stuff for the metal parts..??

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
I would use the same SEM paint on the metal parts as you use on the hard plastic stuff.
YEA..Thats what I figured...

Old 05-04-2024, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pair of metal Very early '71 Inner A-Pillar trims from a Deluxe Sandalwood car. This car had the cloth Insert deluxe seats as well. They are Both Textured and Original to the car, never been out or painted.
I admit, I have not paid much attention to these over the years. I have a speculation that these cannot be generalized into smooth or texture. I do wonder, however if Deluxe Interior might play a part. The texture is more like dash texture, than Formula wheel collars. After I wash them, Ill post some close up pics. Also wonder if Texture is specific to certain colors. Documentation isn't clear on any of this. Thoughts anyone?

Old 05-05-2024, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The SEM paint is not a DYE, its just a paint thats more flexible than standard paint, can be used on metal or plastic.

The headliner & A-pillar metal trims on my 72 firebird was painted smooth, no texture or rough sand grain.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This post is mostly over 13 years old, for reference.
Here are a couple pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240505_123916.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	633274   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240505_123908.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	633275  

Old 05-05-2024, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I have a pair of metal Very early '71 Inner A-Pillar trims from a Deluxe Sandalwood car.
My 2nd week of September 1970 Norwood built '71 Trans Am with blue deluxe interior has smooth A-pillar trim.

Last edited by Dens71TA; 05-05-2024 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
This post is mostly over 13 years old, for reference.
Here are a couple pics
Interesting. That doesn't look like texture within the paint, but rather the metal itself. Like my '65 Mustang door inners had ... the grain was rolled into the metal before the metal was stamped into the shape. And then it was painted.

My '70 Deluxe Sandalwood A-Pillars are smooth.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the replies, and help.