Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 AM

Default 67 400 in a 71 lemans?

my buddy was given a 67 motor and i was telling him that the motor wont fit his car(71 lemans) due to only having to hole and motor mounts being different. now! am i right? i remember reading that it would need to be modified, i also heard that a 350 motor mount would work fine? we are now confused can you guys help before we start trying to place it in place!! thanks.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as the '71 Lemans was'nt a factory 455 car,your golden.

Just use the "STD" pontiac V-8 frame brackets and motor mounts for the '71 Lemans.

Those brackets and mounts use the same exact bolt locations as the '67 block used.

Now go let out a refreshing sigh of relief!

HTH.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Default that is good to hear!!

thanks!!! i needed to hear that it would fit...

Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only other stumbling block would be if the car was running a '77 or later 400 with the newer style engine mounts. They could have swapped out the frame mounts on the car which would make the 67 motor not bolt right in unless correct frame mounts were re-installed. Otherwise Bret is right on.

Also, if the 67 motor is out of a big car then the oil filter adapter is a 90 degree unit and may hit the a-frame on the Lemans when installed and the engine under load. Simply swap in an a-body adapter and your good there too.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com