THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I don’t sell on eBay anymore either they have ****ed me a few times. They have also made it almost impossible to leave negative feedback as buyer or seller It’s censorship to make it feel like a better place than it really is.
I stopped giving feedback, it’s useless anyway.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
I stopped giving feedback, it’s useless anyway.
It is when the information is manipulated like they do. I got some stuff from summit the other day got a email would I leave feedback on my purchase so I did then I get a email my response is ok to post (really) again can’t be bad we all have to feel good.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:05 PM

I inquired about their tax collection a while ago. Ebay told me that NY state requires them to collect sales tax on the purchase price PLUS shipping. So basically NY is double dipping on the tax collected for shipping in state items. UPS, Fedex, etc, pay it on the shipping end and then NY gets paid again when ebay collects it from a buyer.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:05 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

I’ve decided I might buy from eBay, but as far as paying some 12.5% ++ other fees ETC,
BYE BYE ebay.
NOT happening!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We started on Ebay over 20 years ago - it was the Wild West but a hell of a good marketplace. Fast forward to 2017; we could not contact buyers directly and they wrongly suspended us for it. Figured they were less than 20% of sales and bid them goodbye. Even really big companies with 1,000,000+ feedback have severe issues with them.

I say let'em crash - their greed and arrogance is amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:37 AM
Senior Chief

I used to buy a lot of car parts through ebay and it has worked really well for me, even with the international shipping as I dont live in the US.
I havent done much with my cars for the last 10 years and have just started to get back into things and noticed ebay is no longer the place to find used car parts for a decent price.
Understandable when reading the reading the comments here but a damned shame.. The old ebay was pretty good for me.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Friends who have an ebay store assure me that it is definitely NOT as lucrative as it used to be. I do believe that it still has a worldwide (huge) audience of buyers. As far as PayPal, they recently mandated that user's give them a mobile phone number in order to receive their money. Well, I live in an underserved rural area with only spotty cell service. Therefore: no mobile phone. Therefore NO WAY to get my payments! Even the buyer could not get PayPal to fix that. Eventually PayPal gave me an alternate setting, I got paid, and then said "Good Bye" to PayPal. carbking's use of a separate bank account seems like a good alternative.

Reminds me of microsoft giving me mandatory updates like switching me to 'Edge'. Then I have to struggle and relearn how to get the limited use I make of my laptop. Sheesch !! Stay up to speed or get left behind. Maybe we'll get a big EMP soon so we can get back to a simpler life.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:05 PM

I saw the handwriting on the wall years ago! I used to sell quite a bit on Ebay, in fact my brother was making a decent living selling on Ebay until they started getting GREEDY! When Ebay first required you to have a Paypal account to buy and sell, I said IDIAOS!!!!

Old 06-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can just see eBay charging sales tax here in Delaware, and New Hampshire too. I won't sell and very rarely buy anything thru them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:51 PM

You guys really have been out of Ebay for a while. You can buy with paypal, credit card or google pay on Ebay, most purchases have sales tax added. If you are selling you have to set up a bank account as Ebay handles all the transactions now. Even if you sell something and the buyer pays with Payal the money is not transferred to a Paypal account. Ebay sends payments directly to your bank within a few business days. I think it is definitely harder for sellers as a buyer can return your item for reasons like they just changed their mind. I no longer offer returns on anything when selling on Ebay. Ebay will still let any buyer return an item if it is damaged or had a false claim/statement in listing. I had over 200 transactions last year and only had a problem with one yahoo. Ebay held up the payment for a month but ultimately paid me for the transaction as that persons credit card company sided with me as far as wording in the listing.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
You guys really have been out of Ebay for a while. You can buy with paypal, credit card or google pay on Ebay, most purchases have sales tax added. If you are selling you have to set up a bank account as Ebay handles all the transactions now. Even if you sell something and the buyer pays with Payal the money is not transferred to a Paypal account. Ebay sends payments directly to your bank within a few business days. I think it is definitely harder for sellers as a buyer can return your item for reasons like they just changed their mind. I no longer offer returns on anything when selling on Ebay. Ebay will still let any buyer return an item if it is damaged or had a false claim/statement in listing. I had over 200 transactions last year and only had a problem with one yahoo. Ebay held up the payment for a month but ultimately paid me for the transaction as that persons credit card company sided with me as far as wording in the listing.

Which is the problem. I'm not giving Ebay my banking info. Flat out. They can barely run their site, there's no way I'd trust them with any sensitive information.

I'm sure as hell not allowing them to act as the middle man for payments.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 06-24-2021, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I only buy on eBay, but what I did years ago was set up a separate bank account to use just for making online purchases. I only keep a small amount in it, and move more money into it from my main account when necessary. It would work just as well for selling.

I haven't ever had any problems, but it does provide a layer of protection in case something does happen. With electronic banking these days, it was simple to create the separate account and manage the money in it from my computer.

As for whether they include sales tax on a sale, eBay has no control over that - they have to follow the individual state laws about whether sales tax is required or not.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont mind paying the seller fee of 12.5 %. but the thing that i feel is wrong is that they charge it on the total value fee including shipping i think tax too. I feel the final value should be based on the auction price. Alot of people include the shipping price in their items thats ok.. but when you charge for actual shipping ....its a service, not to be included in the price. when an item costs 10 bucks and 8 to ship they make an extra dollar off you on the shipping. But when you ship a heavy item like Block or heads..you are talking 200-300 ..where there fee dips in that price by 25-37 bucks. they need to be clear on their fees the final value is not the auction price but the total you collect including shipping and tax....sample sell iron heads for a 1000... plus 200 to ship plus 8% tax 80$ for tax the final value fee is for 1280 not 1000. so they get 150 for their fee from your 1200 collected that you had to pay the 200 to ship and 150 for their fee. thats 350 plus their lising fee of 5$. you net only 845.00. which they should only charge 130.00.. so they dip an extra 25 bucks for services not value....

Old 06-26-2021, 08:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ebay is going all out to maximize revenue to drive up their stock price. Elimination of eBay bucks and late delivery refunds among the recent changes made.

It’s a shame that they are driving off loyal users to line their pockets.

Don

Old 06-26-2021, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaca85 View Post
I dont mind paying the seller fee of 12.5 %. but the thing that i feel is wrong is that they charge it on the total value fee including shipping i think tax too...
As I mentioned in post 3, ebay was taken advantage of for years by sellers who sold items for a low price but large inflated shipping charges. At one time, ebay only charged for a percentage of the item price, not including shipping. For example, sell a pair of heads for $1 + $999 shipping, even though it only cost the seller $200 to ship. Seller is pocketing the other $799, and ebay is only getting a percentage on the $1.00. Ebay closed this loophole, so blame the unscrupulous sellers of the past.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 06-26-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed in the past couple of months a lot of listings; in the photos (where you need to scroll over to the right) there will be a phone # and/or an EM address. That way you can contact the seller directly and then they can by-pass the ebay fees.

Some sellers are just putting their phone # right in the description. Either way; perhaps you, as a buyer, can negotiate a better deal on that part as well? I see this as push-back for the excessive fees and their tricky math where they are charging fee % money against all the shipping as well as the tax! It doesn't seem fair to me, but ebay's rules. It's their website I guess they can pretty much do whatever they want. Remember way back in the old days when a lot of sellers's user ID was their EM address?

Old 06-26-2021, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
As I mentioned in post 3, ebay was taken advantage of for years by sellers who sold items for a low price but large inflated shipping charges. At one time, ebay only charged for a percentage of the item price, not including shipping. For example, sell a pair of heads for $1 + $999 shipping, even though it only cost the seller $200 to ship. Seller is pocketing the other $799, and ebay is only getting a percentage on the $1.00. Ebay closed this loophole, so blame the unscrupulous sellers of the past.
That could have been handled much better. They could of set up a system to flag any shipping fee over $150. or whatever. Gave the seller a warning and if they persisted...Suspension or ban. The system of punishing everybody for a few jerks is a poor system.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
That could have been handled much better. They could of set up a system to flag any shipping fee over $150. or whatever.
The example I gave was greatly exaggerated, but sellers profiting from inflated shipping charges was common years ago

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 06-26-2021, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their search is worthless: look for Pontiac heads and you get tons of 'featured crap". ie. LED lights etc.

It won't get any better until they lose many more sellers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 08:54 PM

Location: Currently living in Portland, Oregon. Lived in Ireland 3 months Israel 4+yrs, loved it

EBAY has driven priceS UP and gouged ppl with using PayPal as their henchman too.

Bring-A-Traile.com = We can sell a car or Parts for $99 Bucks, Thats IT!

NO 12.5% Gouge price increase YOU will incur,
NO PAYPAL Price gouge fees 0f their 5% or whatever it is that can hold our transactions for.
RiPpoff hostage scenario .
NONE,
Game OVER EBAY / Game Over PAYPAL.