Old 11-15-2022, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just my .02

I have seen threads get locked and the bickering and name calling that sometimes led to the threads getting locked. I know I'm a small fish in this pond, but I feel drag racers are a competitive group. I have been a bracket racer, grudge racer and now just a recreational drag racer. At every level I have been and am still competitive with my fellow racers. Some smack talking is expected and even fun. I'm not saying that at times some comments have not been excessive but the quick response to lock any thread where there are arguments has led to some knowledgeable people dropping from our group.
Again, just one man's opinion and it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Good day guys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Stoneburg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Some smack talking is expected and even fun"

X2

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-15-2022, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree
Some people deserve to get smacked!

Like one guy over in the street section who after 3 years of asking endless questions many times day after day, which many times where repetitive still manages to blow up what was a nice Pontiac block.
There goes one less block that might have been handed down to or used by someone again one day.

A true waste !

I wish some people would move over to running Chevy or Fords and blowing there stuff up.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wealth of knowledge here and the camaraderie are what I enjoy. The tone is normally helpful and friendly.
That said, the tone in the race section was frequently anything but. I enjoy a great dig now & then but in all honesty,
some of those guys would likely be happier elsewhere.
Keep those Pontiacs screaming!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
The Following User Says Thank You to 694.1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes it can get a bit personal. I had some Jack *** post pictures of a project we were working on (which they knew nothing about and were sent to someone else) and do their best to discredit my work. Basically the same thing as calling the company a person works for and trying to get a guy fired. (Which by the way a member here did to another) and then wants to let "by gones be by gones".

I'm not sure where one should draw the line but I always try to post the truth and never say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face if we were in person. For the most part I think a lot of good folks hangout here. However I frown on trash talk just for "trash talks sake".

Old 11-15-2022, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish some people would move over to running Chevy or Fords and blowing there stuff up.[/QUOTE]

Oh no you didn't....

You did....dang.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't we all just get along. Rodney King

Old 11-15-2022, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

“Oh ouch ouch!” Reginald Denny

Old 11-15-2022, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The problem is....that trivial innocent pokes at someone, turns into a barn burning, within one or two posts!!!

That's happened, here, a bunch. Folks not just laughing at themselves and others. But having a full blown hissy fit!!!

I understand (sometimes...) why moderators try to keep gasoline from being thrown onto the fire. Even more!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
I agree
Some people deserve to get smacked!

Like one guy over in the street section who after 3 years of asking endless questions many times day after day, which many times where repetitive still manages to blow up what was a nice Pontiac block.
There goes one less block that might have been handed down to or used by someone again one day.

A true waste !

I wish some people would move over to running Chevy or Fords and blowing there stuff up.
Take this for what you want but my opinion, It’s his block he paid for it and he can do as he wishes. He should go to Chevy or ford because he didn’t choose your or someone else’s path?
Sorry man but in my opinion that’s just plain WRONG . I’m sure there’s people who wouldn’t have chosen your path also or mine .
I’ve had plenty of knuckleheads tell me I had to “spend all the money “. You need aftermarket this and after market that. As you’ll see in my Signiture and MANY here know me from elsewhere. I built in 2005 a 2 bolt set up w a 3.25 main and iron heads w a stock crank to run 9s and run it on the street w (turbo) boost just to prove I could . It’s been together forever and MANY well known people whined and opined it would never work . Some of the biggest jn the turbo business denounced it actually at the time saying it wouldn’t make one pass never mind run 9s. Of course it did and has been very reliable.

Everyone is entitled to try what they want for testing. People who leave **** out to ROT I May have issue with but someone using his stuff his way I have NO ISSUE with at all nor should anyone else . Even those who want to let it rot it was their hard earned money they paid for that privilege . (May be stupid to us) but that’s their propagative . Since when do people feel they get to force their will on others that’s exactly what’s wrong w the world today!

This is supposed to be a community. I think we all should put ourselves I. Others shoes before we judge. Even I am not always good at that I can admit that myself .

That being said to try and answer the threads original question I was a moderator in my own sections on another website and in all the years I did that I never had to ban one person or lock one thread . People had respect for one another in my sections.
(Maybe just lucky who knows )
There were however bannings from others on that site , that ruined things IMO and deterred a lot of great people from staying. Again their proghtive to do so in their sections , but I feel it detracted not added to the site and it’s popularity.

I don’t think most of the locked thread or banking’s are necessary.

I also see guys like B man and other mods here catching some really important threats on this site and deleting or locking those threads , which is valuable to us all. so I’m not about to second guess their techniques compared to mine when I was a moderator.
It can be a hard job to moderate especially when there’s more and more threats like we see here from scammers mods reasons Aren’t always evident to us.

I’ll add that if we all followed the same path no one woukd learn a damn thing and we’d make no gains at all.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Sometimes it can get a bit personal. I had some Jack *** post pictures of a project we were working on (which they knew nothing about and were sent to someone else) and do their best to discredit my work. Basically the same thing as calling the company a person works for and trying to get a guy fired. (Which by the way a member here did to another) and then wants to let "by gones be by gones".

I'm not sure where one should draw the line but I always try to post the truth and never say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face if we were in person. For the most part I think a lot of good folks hangout here. However I frown on trash talk just for "trash talks sake".
I'm with Paul on this one. I don't mind a little back and forth regarding their opinion on what works or not. But some people go nuclear over every thread they're on. And then there's a certain person here that absolutely can't take ANY disagreement on what he says. Immediately goes on the attack and names everyone he knows, and what he's done, etc., etc. That being said, I really appreciate this section and I constantly learn a lot from it.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
And then there's a certain person here that absolutely can't take ANY disagreement on what he says. Immediately goes on the attack and names everyone he knows, and what he's done, etc., etc.
Gee, I can't imagine who you're referring to. LOL!

I like a little smack talk. But it's hard to draw a line with it...

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:34 AM
Senior Chief

I have been a member here for a long time, but rarely posted...I was mostly on Yellowbullet, which was a totally different style of forum...

With that said, I know I have taken on a few people that I could've just ignored, but thats not really in my DNA...On YB, nothing used to get deleted, so I knew if I typed it, i'd have to stand behind it in person...

In my mind we are all old enough to ignore something if it is too over the top for us to deal with, but that doesnt seem to be the thought process of the mods...Deleting scammers should be the number one priority for all of the mods...I cant say that i've seen any personal threats on here, but again, I havent been here as long as most of you...

As for banning people...I fully understand that some just refuse to chill out when they are asked, and eventually you have to do what you have to do...It just sucks to see someone banned for the petty stuff...When that is allowed, it sends a message that typically doesnt have good results...

The Following User Says Thank You to opeliac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, some get a little salty and some stir the pot but let us ignore that stuff. There is good stuff to learn if you can read between the lines.
I miss reading the banter, gives me something to pass the time away during lunch.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

Bunch of grumpy old men, some with thin skins, Moderators have little choice but to act in the public sections of the forum. It always gets out of hand because someone can’t take it and goes nuclear.
Calling someone’s work to get them fired is the act of a coward, so is attacking someones business when you have not been harmed. I’d be worried the unemployed bum would hunt me down for something like that.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

World seems to be filled with thinned skinned very opinionated people.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that some get out of hand. But that's just a couple of people and I ignore their post as ranting. That's how I deal with the "few" , just don't respond and they usually get tired.
Even some of the biggest braggers have some good info to share. You just have to filter through the BS to get to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Stoneburg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I come here to share info and learn. When the bickering starts, I'm out.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing wrong at all with some friendly ball busting, that’s what us guys do, but also don’t be an A hole about it. Most know how to draw the line.

Old 11-17-2022, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
Nothing wrong at all with some friendly ball busting, that’s what us guys do, but also don’t be an A hole about it. Most know how to draw the line.
Yep, most do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Stoneburg For This Useful Post: