Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-22-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Rocker Noise

Have a question to ask of you fellas. I have a 72 400 block, 4.188" bore, SRP pistons, with spiral locks, 4.25" stroke Eagle crank, w.2.20" rod journals, Manley 6.8" rods. Studded 2 bolt, and Edelbrock heads, with porting by Andy Mitchell. My concern is I have alot of valve train noise. Its a Comp 288HR, with 8.80 trick flow push rods, and Comp 1.65 full roller rockers. I went 1/2 turn past 0 lash and it just sounds terrible. I had Andy do the heads bare and I got 7/16" rocker studs. But I did notice they said SB Chevy/Pontiac, they are ARP last part number 1703. I took the rockers off the studs and noticed that the black coating was comming off. I did notice that the rocker arms do not sit all the way on the shoulder of the rocker studs and partially on the threads. Can someone tell me if this is correct? What rocker studs does everyone else run with Edel heads? Thanks

Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The correct studs (whether ARP or whatever) for an adjustable valvetrain would not have any "shoulders" on the studs- at least not where the rocker arm sits on them. Can you post a picture of your studs, and point out what you're calling a "shoulder"?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are your rockers hitting your valve covers? Had to ask.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to say the studded portion of the rocker, not the threaded end. The rocker if im describing this correctly, should sit down far enough on the stud to where all the threads of the stud are comming out of the rocker. When I went to adjust I went to zero lash the 1/2 turn, sound correct? I did take into consideration that the valve covers were comming into contact with the rockers, but I've since ruled that out, same noise without valve covers on.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to check your pushrod in the hole in the head clearance. The 1.6 rocker sometimes hits in the hole. The 1.65 needs ground same as when you try and install 1.65 rockers in Iron D-port heads. This will give you noise as the pushrod is bending to fit in the rocker .

Also check where the rocker tip fits on the vlave stem tip. Should be centered in the middle of the valve stem tip.