Old 12-07-2022, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Keyless entry

Anybody have it or install it? What kit did you use?

Old 12-08-2022, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've worked on those systems before.
Don't remember the brand but customer brought in a 40 ford with it and it wasn't working right.

After 2 days of fiddling and fixing a bad wire job the controller had to be replaced. I quickly became "not a fan"
Lol

Just more gadgets and gizmos that fail and cost money.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I've worked on those systems before.
Don't remember the brand but customer brought in a 40 ford with it and it wasn't working right.

After 2 days of fiddling and fixing a bad wire job the controller had to be replaced. I quickly became "not a fan"
Lol

Just more gadgets and gizmos that fail and cost money.
I agree. I’ve never installed one myself, but my first thought was “Another gizmo that will go out on you.” Plus most aftermarket things these days are pretty much junk IMO.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Anybody have it or install it? What kit did you use?
When you shave the door handles off your wife's '72 Camaro, you have no choice but to go with keyless (and handleless) entry.

We put this in the car about 20 years ago and I don't remember where I got the kit. It's worked well after I switched out the original door poppers with bigger ones (the Camaro doors are very heavy). Since then, they've been very reliable.

I did not do the install. I don't like messing with wiring and am willing to pay someone to do stuff that I'm not good at.

I'm sure that there are good kits to do the simple task of just unlocking the doors vs actually opening the doors via a key fob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro DSC_2064 checkers.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	603224  

Old 12-08-2022, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 95-97 Towncar keyless works well. Controller is in the driver door. Maybe that system lifts out with its own harness.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:46 AM

There are any number of them, I suspect they're all about the same as far as performance is concerned. There are some that just control central locking, plus there are some that include remote starting, and some that include an alarm system, so you have to pick which type you want. If it's for your Tempest you'll need to get a kit that includes actuators. I see on Amazon you can get a kit for under $30 so it will be a cheap experiment. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=central+locking+system+kit

Old 12-08-2022, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Electric Life kit in my car works well. I also have the trunk on a remote.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
The Following User Says Thank You to ta man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
When you shave the door handles off your wife's '72 Camaro, you have no choice but to go with keyless (and handleless) entry.

We put this in the car about 20 years ago and I don't remember where I got the kit. It's worked well after I switched out the original door poppers with bigger ones (the Camaro doors are very heavy). Since then, they've been very reliable.

I did not do the install. I don't like messing with wiring and am willing to pay someone to do stuff that I'm not good at.

I'm sure that there are good kits to do the simple task of just unlocking the doors vs actually opening the doors via a key fob.
Ha, that's what the 40 Ford was, shaved handles, so taking it out and filing it in the round can wasn't an option. He brought it over complaining he couldn't get in the car Luckily it was a 4 door so he had 3 other chances. The passenger rear was the only door that worked so he had to climb through the car.

I mainly see this stuff on the pre-war vehicles. Those street rod guys like this stuff for some reason.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FJ

Once I upgraded the door poppers, the Camaro's doors have operated just fine for over 15 years. We are very happy with them.

I would think that a simple keyless entry system, that has only a fraction of the complexity of what's required for shaved door handles, would be as reliable as what my factory keyless entry systems have been for the last 20 years. Assuming a proper installation, of course.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
FJ

Once I upgraded the door poppers, the Camaro's doors have operated just fine for over 15 years. We are very happy with them.

I would think that a simple keyless entry system, that has only a fraction of the complexity of what's required for shaved door handles, would be as reliable as what my factory keyless entry systems have been for the last 20 years. Assuming a proper installation, of course.
Yeah I didn't build this particular car, I was just the one stuck fixing all the issues Bleh, My least favorite thing to do is go back through a car someone else built.

Anyway, it's still working fine, been a few years now. I'm actually restoring one of his other cars as we speak.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am just fishing for ideas. This car truly is my regular (not daily) driver. I had 3800 miles on that engine already when I blew it up so I suspect I will drive it a good bit more when its a little tamer and some things are just convenient

Old 12-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a MES system , and have used Electric life. NO keys touch my paint. Trunk is on remote as well as doors. At cruise in or car show I dont worry about my wife or others attempting to get into the trunk. Can be also programed to lock the doors when in gear, or hooked to a security system. Under 100 bucks, well worth it.... BUT. Will drain battery over a long winter sitting.

Old 12-08-2022, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice color. May I ask, What brand rims are those? I like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camaro DSC_2064 checkers.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	603260  

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:48 AM

I’m generally not a fan of putting modern stuff in these cars on principle, but a few years back I decided to install a keyless entry system, just for kicks. Now I couldn’t live without it. Everything is tucked away so no modern gizmos are visible, but it makes the experience of driving the car so much more seamless. I’ve used a couple of those dirt cheap Chinese keyless systems off of Amazon — $30 or less. They’re all essentially identical products, and they have all worked great for me. No reliability issues, always worked flawlessly, and from a very impressive distance. I have it wired in so both the key fob and the interior switch can control the doors, and I even have it wired to flash the lights on lock/unlock.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Nice color. May I ask, What brand rims are those? I like.
After a 5 year search for the "right" rims for my wife's Camaro, I spotted the brand new (at the time - 2017), Billet Speciaties - Win Lite's. When I ordered them, I was told by my sales rep it was the very first set they had sold.

https://www.billetspecialties.com/st...eter-brs02-17/

Because she had most al of the chrome/stainless on her Camaro powdercoated satin black, she wanted a polished rim with black highlights.

She hates any of the traditional 5 spoke rims,

We went with 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rears with 235/45/17's and 275/40/17's.

The attached photo is with the old 16x8 Centerline 500's that we put on back in 2001. After 15 years of polishing around all those rivets, I needed something easier to polish!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0067.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	603285  

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2022, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for posting. Nice looking car. Nice you and your wife have cars.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take the car to an auto alarm shop and have them install a basic keyless entry kit. I think it's smarter to leave the install to them. The auto salons in-town here all use Viper brand. The passive system is their best seller but I would think with a vintage car you'd want the "point and click" show.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 12-10-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Take the car to an auto alarm shop and have them install a basic keyless entry kit. I think it's smarter to leave the install to them. The auto salons in-town here all use Viper brand. The passive system is their best seller but I would think with a vintage car you'd want the "point and click" show.
I will 100% disagree ..
1. Would I want a kid doing my classic like they can rip off door panels on new cars? Why let someone take apart a car they know Nothing about? Hack, hack...
2. The Viper systems are for Modern cars and have way more cost and features than needed.
3. The MES system and others like it are so simple. A Relay behind glove box( Trunk) and and the controller by the fuse box and like 3 wire install.
4 NO car alarm place is going to take the time to research Anything on our older classics. So they gouge door panel? IF you can replace it its 9 months out and 500 bucks...... No thanks...
No offense Neighbors...

Old 12-11-2022, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I will 100% disagree ..
1. Would I want a kid doing my classic like they can rip off door panels on new cars? Why let someone take apart a car they know Nothing about? Hack, hack...
2. The Viper systems are for Modern cars and have way more cost and features than needed.
3. The MES system and others like it are so simple. A Relay behind glove box( Trunk) and and the controller by the fuse box and like 3 wire install.
4 NO car alarm place is going to take the time to research Anything on our older classics. So they gouge door panel? IF you can replace it its 9 months out and 500 bucks...... No thanks...
No offense Neighbors...
I had just the opposite experience when the car salon near me installed my stereo. They replaced the kick panels with my pre-loaded component speaker panels. Removed the passenger seat and installed my low profile powered subwoofer without a scratch. They even honored my request to connect both my rear quarter mounted power antenna and in-windshield antenna. They neatly fitted my head unit in a small console I adapted to mount inside the glove compartment. They're all gear heads and do this custom stereo all day long and were excited to work on a classic muscle car.

Your issue is thinking all shops operate like BestBuy. You just have to look around to see whether or not the know what they're doing. You can also remove your own door panels if that is a concern. I chose to provide them a precut glovebox liner, fitted console and unmounted glove box door, figuring reassembly would be more intuitive, not that it was brain surgery anyway. They looked at my less than perfect cut in the glove box back (which you'd never see) and proceeded to test fit, enlarge the opening slightly and then hot glue windlace molding around the opening to eliminate any gap. I was impressed.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see this, but most shops are all about the money and custom work is Not an option, nor do they have the skill.
I am hoping it wasnt too pricey. Glad it worked out for all you needed and your kick panels have plenty of gray caulk/ sealer around the big air intake area, especially where the cable for vent goes...