THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He must have been Tom's cousin. Don't laugh Tom. If you searched hard enough, you just might find it's true. Hey, I've met guys with the same name as me and some with only the same last name... and it scared the hell out of me.

I'm a doctor somewhere around here and his mail is sent to me. And a chiropractor up in Northern NY. Never met either one. Same middle initial for the 3 of us. I once was denied renewal of my driver's license because of a ticket I got in Colorado. I told the lady at NY DMV that I'd never in my life been in Colorado. Only my Social Security number saved me in that ordeal... his was different than mine. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:22 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
He must have been Tom's cousin. Don't laugh Tom. If you searched hard enough, you just might find it's true. Hey, I've met guys with the same name as me and some with only the same last name... and it scared the hell out of me.

I'm a doctor somewhere around here and his mail is sent to me. And a chiropractor up in Northern NY. Never met either one. Same middle initial for the 3 of us. I once was denied renewal of my driver's license because of a ticket I got in Colorado. I told the lady at NY DMV that I'd never in my life been in Colorado. Only my Social Security number saved me in that ordeal... his was different than mine. LOL
Very True there, GT182.
Funny thing was when he did his search for TV he got a guy who worked in the same department, the same room, and for the same boss at Ford.

That being said, Tom V is a very common name just like Tim V is a very common name. Must be a couple of hundred of them out there but only Tom Vaught and Tim Vaughn in Ford Engineering to my knowledge.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[note to self: boost engineers do not understand sarcasm]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
So again, you post the wrong information ...
Tony Voight? I'd have to ask GTO George, the two were the
bestest buds, always teasing each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
PS I have said several times that Electric vehicles have been around for a long time, ask ...
Gee, I too have said they've been around for a long time.
I was aware of them way back in the 80s. [thumps chest]
That, and a nickel, is worth [doing math] five whole cents.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exar 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	603158  

Old 12-06-2022, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom E made a battery that had a 100 mile range back in 1910. Guess we haven’t come very far huh?

BTW, Tom did not go to college, or high school for that matter…….I think the driver’s name is Zimnicky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4A296BD8-2050-483B-927D-30097457428F.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	603161  

Last edited by misterp266; 12-06-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added content
The Following User Says Thank You to misterp266 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want to discuss electric vehicles this is the place to post. if you want to reduce the discussion to personal insults, do it somewhere else.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, I have posted historical info about Keith Seymore and his 43+ years in GM Engineering. I have posted in the past about the majority of the electric vehicles being many years in the future. I was never involved in the Electric Side of the Research Area
but a very good friend named Adam has 43 engineers in just his department working on the Electric programs.

So PY people, you have some actual FACTS in this topic vs some videos from a few others.

Thank You Stuart for getting the topic back on track. Should not be necessary but
at times it is required.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:04 PM
Senior Chief

My last 2 cents.
When gasoline cars first came out over 100 years ago horses were the main transportation. People with horses probably said this new invention will not make it. It could not up a hill going forward, you had to buy fuel at the local pharmacy or from the blacksmith.. Who wants to go someplace at 5 mph and cannot buy fuel. My horse can take me anywhere I want to go.
That’s a long time ago and things evolved. It took a long time to get where we are at right now. Technology advances. Life changes.
Electric transportation is in its infancy. We will see where it goes.
I think our way go getting around will change slow but sure, just like our cars that we drive now have changed.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
My last 2 cents.
When gasoline cars first came out over 100 years ago horses were the main transportation. People with horses probably said this new invention will not make it. It could not up a hill going forward, you had to buy fuel at the local pharmacy or from the blacksmith.. Who wants to go someplace at 5 mph and cannot buy fuel. My horse can take me anywhere I want to go.
That’s a long time ago and things evolved. It took a long time to get where we are at right now. Technology advances. Life changes.
Electric transportation is in its infancy. We will see where it goes.
I think our way go getting around will change slow but sure, just like our cars that we drive now have changed.
TRUTH THERE IN POST BY 428goat and the time line is about right.
"Electric transportation is in its infancy."

Done with this thread.

Tom V.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:33 PM

As long as new technology is not forced upon citizens, I don't care if people want to fork out huge amounts of cash to a be a guinea pig. Have at it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can say all you want that ev trucks are great feats of engineering with hoards of engineers working on them but that still doesn't make them as practical as ICEs. The infrastructure isn't there and how are you supposed to work these trucks like a Gasoline/diesel engines? It's not even close. And yet they want to get rid of ICE vehicles and jamb ev's down our throats. If you want a ev truck and youre fine with their limitations then have at it. But the rest of us don't want them at the moment...never say never but they've got a long way to go. So let's not just ignore their limitations and pretend they're not there. In California you're not going to buy a new ICE vehicle? Really?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scott70 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
My last 2 cents.
. . . . . . . . .
Electric transportation is in its infancy. We will see where it goes. . . . .
My post above is an electric car from 1910. There were electric cars BEFORE gas powered cars. It is not in it’s infancy. Maybe one day it will make sense but right now there’s a limited use for electric vehicles. To think that everyone should drive one is foolish. To think that everyone can afford one is insane.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, in the early years of the automobile electric cars were almost as common place as gas powered and steam. Everyone was trying to figure what the best combination was. Electric was very popular in cities with charging readily available not so much in the countryside. Electric was also popular and aimed towards women operators as it was much cleaner, easier and quieter than its counter parts. Many large companies had fleets of electric trucks. Its not new just becoming refined and technologically advanced enough to be viable.
On that note there is not nearly enough electric available anywhere for every one to drive an electric vehicle.

I was watching reruns the other day and there was a Partridge Family episode (from the early 70's) of which the theme was to conserve electric, by turning everything off. I got a kick out of that one.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
My post above is an electric car from 1910. There were electric cars BEFORE gas powered cars. It is not in it’s infancy. Maybe one day it will make sense but right now there’s a limited use for electric vehicles. To think that everyone should drive one is foolish. To think that everyone can afford one is insane.
I've seen a couple of people claim that older EVs simply weren't feasible because they didn't have *regenerative braking*. Except the Exar-1 brochure listed it, and that was back in 1979, it wasn't some revolutionary idea

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221207_051824.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	603180   Click image for larger version

Name:	45d0039cebbdf7732dfaf485df9447ae.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	603181  

Old 12-07-2022, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"EV Truck real world test"
EV= Electric Vehicle
Electric forklifts have been around for decades.
I've got no experience w/ Electric trucks; But I was a facility manager for the last 8 years. In that time we'd burned up two electric forklifts during their warrantee periods and were constantly fighting with the dealership over tens of thousands owed and our lifts were dead in the water.
We eventually bought an old propane forklift. Never had another problem. There was no comparison; the old propane lift completely out performed the electrics.

The Following User Says Thank You to F ROCK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 11:23 AM
Senior Chief

This EV vs ICE is a power density issue, pure and simple - and batteries just can't do it.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to invent a car that runs on internet arguments .... I'd be a bazillionaire ..

BTW .. synthetic oil, better than conventional or no ?

Old 12-07-2022, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
BTW .. synthetic oil, better than conventional or no ?
That really depends on your cam's specs.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha, now thats a good one!

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doing some math to compare ICE vs. EV.

Fill your car with 20 gallons of gas in ~5 mins
=2.3 million BTU's in the fuel.
Assume a 40% efficient engine so you get 920,000 BTU of useable transportation energy.
20 gallons x $3.50 per gallon = $70

How long to get the same energy at an electric charging station?

920,000 BTU/3413 BTU's per kWh = 269 kWh
Assume EV is 90% efficient = 298 kWh's required to match 20 gallons of gas of useable transportation energy
298 kwh/480 volt fast charging station = 621 amp-hours
If charger pushes 200 amps, it will take 3.1 hours to charge to the same useable transportation energy as 20 gallons of gas.
Cost = 298 kWh x 15 cents = $44.80.

EV is cheaper but takes LOTS longer to "refill".

FWIW:
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 12-07-2022, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
That really depends on your cam's specs.
And whether you pre-fill your oil filter . . . . . no oil filters on EVs!