THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Btw most speed companies like Lakewood mr gasket hurst etc are all owned by the Chinese corporations now anyway.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 10-05-2022, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
There is still a local shop that is into performance, King Auto in Utica MI. They still have a machine shop and will match Summits prices. I try to support them.
Mancini Racing has a pretty good inventory, not just Mopar. I keep forgetting about King Auto. Do they stock a lot of stuff?

Old 10-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for posting that, Stuart. Great story, really pulled at the heartstrings. I can only hope that one of the kids has a pristine classic car of some kind squirreled away.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
We had a place called PCA here in the north east. Was like a candy store in fact it was that store that got me reading Hemings when I hung out there and got me into RAIV and RAV stuff.

I have one of the original signs in my airplane hangar

They closed along time ago but one of the managers opened his own speed shop in the area and it’s still going
Called the driving image . I haven’t been there in years cause I don’t buy much speed parts . I make most parts myself or use factory stuff I modify.
But I’d imagine w electric cars most speed shops will go out. Likely including jegs and summit. That and seeing the diesel shops get sued for millions for selling exhausts and tuners
No one wants that happening to them.

Funny how people like to vote to take other peoples hobbies away (2nd amendment) then their hobby gets cut and it’s suddenly a big deal . I warned gear heads for years these people would eliminate our cars and parts but no one would listen .
Billy plans on closing up in a few years.

He is one of the few that has better prices than Summit and Jegs.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Decades ago, we had several speed shops to pick from. They almost never had in stock what I needed. The usual answer was it had to be paid for in advance and then wait 10 days. Sometimes it wasn't there in 10 days. I tried to buy arm restraints that they had in stock until I noticed they were out of date. And I couldn't buy anything without going thru a long explanation why I was wanting that particular thing. Summit would have what I wanted on the doorstep next day. I don't shed a tear for the local shops going away.

On a similar note, the small town that I live by used to have a local hardware store. I went in there multiple times and left without finding what I needed. When Lowes came to town, they always had what I needed and the local place disappeared. Again, no tears.

On the flip side, we have a small town grocery store. I thought sure that when Kroger and Walmart Supercenter came to town, they'd be toast. Instead, they became the place with an unbeatable deli counter, better meat than the big chains and the ideal place to stop for a quick 1-bag purchase. They're thriving because they adapted and have great customer service.

FWIW,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 01:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
On a similar note, the small town that I live by used to have a local hardware store. I went in there multiple times and left without finding what I needed.
Eric
If its the one I worked for, no surprise there. All they seemed to keep in stock was aggravation unless it was power equipment related. I did work with some dirty old men tractor mechanics that seemed to have the best advice ever. Most relating to women, and as I reach they age they were at the time, they were 100% correct. I should have paid more attention when the Mower Prophets were speaking.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-06-2022, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
If its the one I worked for, no surprise there. All they seemed to keep in stock was aggravation unless it was power equipment related. I did work with some dirty old men tractor mechanics that seemed to have the best advice ever. Most relating to women, and as I reach they age they were at the time, they were 100% correct. I should have paid more attention when the Mower Prophets were speaking.
Yup that's it. All I ever found in the hardware section was several old men sitting around telling each other stories to avoid going home.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 10-06-2022, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Decades ago, we had several speed shops to pick from. They almost never had in stock what I needed. The usual answer was it had to be paid for in advance and then wait 10 days. Sometimes it wasn't there in 10 days. I tried to buy arm restraints that they had in stock until I noticed they were out of date. And I couldn't buy anything without going thru a long explanation why I was wanting that particular thing. Summit would have what I wanted on the doorstep next day. I don't shed a tear for the local shops going away.
I had forgotten that scenario until you mentioned it:

Dad: Long explanation of why he was wanting that particular thing.

Them: "You can't do that".

Dad: Leaves the store steaming, proceeds to do just that.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-06-2022, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel a little guilty.

My dad's uncle owned the hardware store in Blytheville Arkansas.

Uncle Dave never had children so when he retired he sold the store to a young man in town. It didn't last long after that.

I really couldn't do anything with it because my family and life are up here now. But I would have loved to own a little hardware store.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2022, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHABT View Post
Billy plans on closing up in a few years.

He is one of the few that has better prices than Summit and Jegs.
That’s too bad he’s been In the business a long time.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not local just a photo
I had but thought it was fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21F5766E-37A2-4CBD-A1CA-FF91F28ABA27.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	600032  

Old 10-06-2022, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the really old hardware stores, there are several within an hours drive that are extremely old, two have raised wood floors from the sidewalk out front. Know of several in small town OK & Ark most on the main street where it dips down so deep in front of the stores, one has to be careful parking unless in a 4wd pickup.

In the late 80's & early 90's I used to stumble into many many more old school hardware stores, often while chasing partscars or sourcing body panels in out of the way country yards. Run out of sawsall blades or need some silly socket that didn't make it into my belt bag,

Old 10-06-2022, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Went to a Hot Rod Shop in Monroe washington that had museum, part store, Machine shop and repair facility.
Owner was a Tractor pull guy, had some neat stuff sitting around, but like most place, I have heard it closed up shop.
Was a Great place to go visit after their twice yearly swap meet.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be Jim Green.

Jim was the kind of guy who never lost money on a deal.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Speed shops based within a Machineshop appear to be a sustainable biz.
We have two in the Louisville Metro area that have been in business for nearly fifty years: Houchin’s on Taylorsville Rd.( just south of Bowman Field) and Dixon Racing Supply in Sellersburg, IN. I have known Gerald Dixon for forty-five years; went to high school with his kids. Gerald is an ASA modified legend, who is one hell of a good engine machinist.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-12-2022, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Toronto and Barrie speed shop that recently closed had ridiculous price margins well before eBay, Amazon, Summit, etc. became a thing. I always thought they were just taking advantage of us.