West Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Old 05-19-2021, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Default What's the car culture like in and around Omaha

Im thinking of relocating for a job. Technically it's in Council Bluffs, IA, , but I figure I would end up living in or around Omaha, NE.

How are the car shows, cruises, events, etc???

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask the Rotellas!

Old 08-03-2021, 10:23 PM

Great place! Lots of old time car guys, meets, weekend shows and even a radio station dedicated to events, etc.. Great transmission shops, people who know cars - that's for sure. Even a fully stocked Amsoil lubricants store on 84th St..

The Following User Says Thank You to Burbach 174 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2021, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too am considering this move. Apprehensive about the winters, but understand there is a tradeoff to everything.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Omaha metro area is deceiving in size. The counties comprising the metro area (including the Iowa side), we're right at a million people. And the Lincoln metro (about 35 minutes away) adds another 400,000 or so. The best part is, within minutes you can be in areas where you have farm fields on both sides and enjoy and peaceful highway cruise without much traffic.

There are plenty of cruise-ins throughout the week and shows on weekends. And there are two local Pontiac clubs (Pontiac Owners Association and a POCI-chapter) that are quite active as well as other non-Pontiac clubs.

The winters aren't the great, but they're certainly livable and we can say we enjoy four distinct seasons. Our coldest weather is generally in January, but the average high is still 32 degrees (average low during that month is 13 degrees). We still have our fair share of very cold weather streaks, however. When most of the country was in the deep freeze this past winter, it made it all the way down to -23 degrees F.

It doesn't snow as much as people might think. Average seasonal snowfall in the Omaha metro areas historically is 29" and for the past two decades it has averaged about 26" That's the average though! We ended up with about 11" in one day this past winter and I believe that amount set a new record.

For me, you get used to the winters. I prefer to use them as time to get things done on the cars without missing the driving season. And when winter finally breaks and spring arrives, you get a newfound appreciation for your old cars.

Is it a job that's potentially bringing you here? The housing market is certainly booming!

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2021, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

I drove through Omaha on a cross country trip and I was surprised at how many hills there are. I was expecting it to be flat. Iowa and Nebraska have underrated beauty. Fantastic country we’re fortunate to live in.

Old 09-07-2022, 02:14 PM
Senior Chief

Been in Omaha for about a month now. Let me know if there is anyone in the area that wants to get together and talk about cars, drink beer, etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2022, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Restore a Muscle Car in Lincoln is heavy into Pontiacs. Dave Hall is owner. Dave purchased my friends 73 SD Trans Am four speed car.

Tim john---

Old 02-26-2023, 10:18 AM

I was living south of Lincoln for a few years and the one thing I miss about that area was the availability to find parts and project cars. It is a very good area because you have Lincoln , Omaha , Kansas City and and Iowa all very close around. Rust is an issue but it is in most of the Mid-West areas. We have kids and grand kids in that area so I still shop there on craigs list and still get to some swap meets there. People wise great place!

Old 02-26-2023, 10:22 AM

Also there is a guy there (can't remember the name of his shop) in Lincoln that puts on a body shop school a couple times a year. It was reasonable and he teaches all kinds of body work. We did a chop on a car when I went to his class. The classes were three days and they served lunch and class was 8 hours each day. I really enjoyed it.