Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-21-2021, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 389 vs 400 Valve Cover Question

Hi guys,

I am wanting to put 389 valve covers on my 73 400 heads. I am reading that you have to use a spacer for it to work. I don’t have an old set of heads around to compare so what is the difference on stock rocker arm heads that they aren’t interchangeable?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

depending on rockers.I have a set of 63421 HO valve covers on a set of 96 heads.Roller rockers could be a issue but I believe the 5/16 thick gaskets will help it.Tom

Old 11-21-2021, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
depending on rockers.I have a set of 63421 HO valve covers on a set of 96 heads.Roller rockers could be a issue but I believe the 5/16 thick gaskets will help it.Tom
What’s the difference in the the 421 HO covers over the standards?? I’ve read that somewhere to.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They have stacks for push on breathers.Same cover as a reg 63 except for them.Tom

Old 11-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Between 1966, and 1967, the heads were redesigned and the valve angle inclination was changed. To keep geometry correct, the valve and pushrods were lengthened raising the position of the rocker arms in relation to the head surface to the block.

Putting the early 389 valve covers on a later set of heads will interfere with the top edge of the rocker arms, as they were designed for a lower position on the early heads. If you don't get enough height/clearance when using the early valve covers on the late heads, you'll be rewarded with a nice set of 16 dimples along the upper edge of the valve covers made from the rocker arms pushing against the inside of the sheet metal as they lift to open the valves.

I put a set of brand new chrome covers from a 65 GTO on a set of 69, 428 heads, on a 65 389, and ruined them back in 1970. That's called learning an expensive lesson the hard way.

Also be aware that if you run the late heads on an early block the scallops in the early pistons aren't large enough, or at the correct angle to clear the valves with a cam that has more lift than a factory stock cam. You will run into piston to valve interference if you try to run a cam with much more lift than .450. That can also be an expensive lesson to learn.

I'm not sure what your combination is, but that's the problems you could run into swapping early and late heads, and short blocks around. The 66-67 years being when they changed the head design. So it's not the rocker arms causing the clearance problem, it's their positioning design change.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-21-2021, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Between 1966, and 1967, the heads were redesigned and the valve angle inclination was changed. To keep geometry correct, the valve and pushrods were lengthened raising the position of the rocker arms in relation to the head surface to the block.

Putting the early 389 valve covers on a later set of heads will interfere with the top edge of the rocker arms, as they were designed for a lower position on the early heads. If you don't get enough height/clearance when using the early valve covers on the late heads, you'll be rewarded with a nice set of 16 dimples along the upper edge of the valve covers made from the rocker arms pushing against the inside of the sheet metal as they lift to open the valves.

I put a set of brand new chrome covers from a 65 GTO on a set of 69, 428 heads, on a 65 389, and ruined them back in 1970. That's called learning an expensive lesson the hard way.

Also be aware that if you run the late heads on an early block the scallops in the early pistons aren't large enough, or at the correct angle to clear the valves with a cam that has more lift than a factory stock cam. You will run into piston to valve interference if you try to run a cam with much more lift than .450. That can also be an expensive lesson to learn.

I'm not sure what your combination is, but that's the problems you could run into swapping early and late heads, and short blocks around. The 66-67 years being when they changed the head design. So it's not the rocker arms causing the clearance problem, it's their positioning design change.
Thanks Brad. It’s a 400 but I want it to look like a 389/421 as it’s going in my 62 GMC Stepside.
I have the thick reusable VC gaskets but don’t know if that’s enough

Old 11-21-2021, 01:32 PM

I’d err on the safe side and run some 3/8” spacers. Paint them the same color as the heads so they blend in.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the 389 style valve covers on 67' and later heads many times., even with roller rockers. Just use the 5/16" valve cover gaskets and you shouldn't have any issues.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 11-21-2021, 04:00 PM
Boost Engineer

I have not run the factory chrome vale covers on my 64 GTO engine for many years.
I ran the Mickey Thompson early ribbed valve covers.
Those aluminum valve covers have been on the 64 389 engine, a 68 400 engine, and a
engine with Edelbrock aluminum heads without any issues. I do run the 5/16" cork gaskets
when I can find them. They seem to seal better vs the rubber one made in later years.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.