Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

I received my latest copy of Muscle Car Review, September 2013. Drew Harding, Editor of MCR, had already told me was going to print my correction to his MCR June 2013 "Rewind" artilce on the 1969 Judge.

Boy was I suprised when I found that Drew had acticle dedicated his entire Editoral page (4) to my emails. I sent several of the old articles, some proof shots and picture from PMD's new car catalogue of the 1969 ET/Judge.

Un fortunately Drew miss quoted me on how many manual shift Judes and automatics. So he said he'll make the correction in the next issue.

There was one automatic car. It was actually the never produced bench seat low cost Post Coupe with a 350 HO. It went from the name ET to Judge. Then to a more expensive hard top and convertible, high end GTO as you know it, with only a 400 Ram Air III or Ram Air IV. Base was a 3 speed manual with optional 4 speed and Turbo Hydromatic M40 automtaic (Turbo 400).

I'll attach the original MCR June issue "Rewind" and the MCR September "Editor's Note". page 4.

You can go back to past posts and find most of the original tests of these cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Muscle Car Review June 2013 Cover.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	335475   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Muscle Car Review 2013 Rewind 1969 Judge 1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	335476   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Muscle Car Review 2013 Rewind 1969 Judge 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	335477   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Muscle Car Review September 2013 Editora Me 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	335478   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Muscle Car Review September 2013 Editoral Me 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	335479  

Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1969 Judge re prints

Here are several Attchments. Two are from the original "Hot Rod Magazine" article discussed in MCR June 2013 issue. As you can see it is clearly a post coupe and it is being tested hard. Look at the braking.

The side bar, while giving info on the 400 CID enigne, the test results are for the 350 HO that was under the hood. With a 350 able to do 14.40 ET's did not make John Delorean very happy. He did NOT want a 350 to be as fast, or even faster than his base 400 GTO. (the front fender corning lamps is another give-a-way to being the same post coupe than hard top car, Before air brushing and after)

Look at the first page. (on Left) doesn't the a pillar to c pillar look like a very wide opening compared to a real hard top? The vent window and the pillar posts are air brushed out! Look closely at page one and page three. Now you do you see the same car? Post no post! Look at the tail lights. They tried to air brush the color photos to look like GTO and not Tempest tail lights. The silver color look a little crooked and smugged.

Brian Ballish, one of the unsound heros of Ace Wilson's Royal Racing Team, engine builder and tunner, wanted PMD to use different heads, higher compression and a 744 cam shaft. Brian proved the effects of a 350 HO with the 1969 Royal Firebird running 11.70's. Brian built the BlackBird in the Glory Days.

The other pictures show the air brushed photos that appeared in PMD performance dealership catalogues.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-18-2011 11;47;11AM Half pg.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	335480   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-18-2011 11;49;27AM Half pg.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	335481   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-18-2011 11;29;27AM.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	335482   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-18-2011 11;30;58AM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	335483   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-18-2011 11;46;31AM.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	335485  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 09-01-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Kenny Epstein's 1968 GTO

In memory of one of my childhood friends, Kenny Epstein, I'm posting a picture of one of his GTO's that his younger brother Stuart gave me the other night.

I had known Kenny since kindergarden at John J. Bagley in Detroit. I had moved to Flint in the middle of our 5th grade year and didn't keep in touch with him.

When I moved back to the Detroit area in the middle of 11th grade one of the first old freinds I ran into was Kenny. Of course it was on the street in our cars. Me in my 1961 Impala convertible with a 348 Tri power, power glide, 4.11:1 posi and fiberglass front fenders. Kenny in his 1966 GTO Tri power. My Chevy was no match for his well prepared GTO.

Kenny's family had moved to Southfield shortly after I moved to Fint. When I moved back to the Detroit area it was to an ajoining suburb of Southfield called Oak Park. Literally across an intersection. 10 Mile Rd and Greenfield. That was about 2 Miles from Woodward Ave and the Totem Pole Drive-in.

Kenny was the wild child, middle son, of the three Epstein boys. When Kenny turn sixteen he inherited his older brother Robert's year old 1966 GTO, 389 tri power, 3.90 posi while Robert got a new 1968 GTO, 400 HO, 3.90 posi.Neither of these cars where kept stock. Blue printed engines headers et.al. The '68 would run high 12's with slicks. I don't remember what the '66 ran.

On one Thursday "High End" gathering on I-696 Kenny got rear ended in the '66 GTO while getting ready to run. The '66 was totaled. So in Epstein tradition of passing cars down, Kenny was given the 1968 GTO while older brother Robert got a new 1970 1/2 Z-28.

There are many stories about Kenny's escapades. Stories you heard but never thought anyone actually did it. Well Kenny actually did many of them. Like being chased by the police loosing them, then abandoning the GTO. He called the car in as being stollen and called his mother to let her know what had happened. The Southfield police came knocking and Mrs. Epstein covered for Kenny.

While we'd see each other at different places we never lined up after I replaced my '61 Chevy with a '65 GTO 421 Tri-power 3.90.

I'd see Kenny at Detroit Dragway where they'd run 4 cars across. As you can see from the picture that Staurt gave me Kenny did very well. Kenny won a lot of sanctioned and non sanctioned races.

Kenny passed away a few years ago. But memories of him will not....Rest in peace old friend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kenny Epstein 1968 GTO in 1970.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	336353   Click image for larger version

Name:	my '61 Impala with fiberglass fenders 4.11 posi.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	336362   Click image for larger version

Name:	my '65 GTO 421 Tri-power.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	336363  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 09-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm posting a picture of one of his GTO's that his younger brother Stuart gave me the other night.
I'm going to assume that he gave you the picture and not the car?
What color was that '68? Looks like mine, Meridian Turquoise w/black vinyl.
PS-1961 is the best looking Impala ever.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking Epstein's GTO's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I'm going to assume that he gave you the picture and not the car?
What color was that '68? Looks like mine, Meridian Turquoise w/black vinyl.
PS-1961 is the best looking Impala ever.
Greg,

Sorry to say Stuart didn't give Kenny's car. Only the old faded picture of the '68. Those cars are long gone.

Yes, the '68 was the same color as yours.

Another friend Les Goodman also had the same color '68 GTO but with a white interior.Les's father gave him the new GTO in high school. I mentioned Les earlier in the forum. Les' GTO began as a 400 and within a year ended up with a 428 and Ram Air IV heads installed by Royal. Les also had white Bobcat stripes on the hood and upper fenders leading back to the "Royal Bobcat" emblem at the center of the doors.

Robert went onto become a dentist while Kenny owned clothing stores.

Stuart went into the family business. The family owned a lumber and building supply company called Banner Lumber. Stuart eventually convinced his two older brothers to join him in running the family lumber business. They had very little time for cars with their new ventures.

As for my '61 Impala, I have to agree with you that it was one of the nicer body styles. Just the right amount of chrome and body lines.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 09-11-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My how the winners are adding up. LOL

I just came across another car that beat the Silver Bullett at the following link. As I said there was a new "Fastest" every night. Most races where done so quickly only a few ever witnessed them.

It is discribed by someone who actually worked at the Sunoco station on the '67 GTX.

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-a...-Street-Racing

The person stated this in the Hagerty forum:

John Rola

SF Bay Area

Your article was wrong about where the Silver Bullet came out of. The Sunoco Station was right but it was at 14 Mile Rd and Woodward, to be exact Taunton & Woodward. I worked there as a kid and wrenched on that car many times. Jimmy did loose 1 race to a class mate of mine named Steve Leggins, Seaholm High School Class of 67 with a DOHC 427 67 Fairlane GT. That is also how Bob Seger named his band, he was in love with that car, hence the Silver Bullet Band.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default BlackBird Muscle Car Review

I just recieved my latest issue of "Muscle Car Review", November 2013. On page 8 is a letter I wrote regarding a prior editorial called "Wangers Style".

At the bottom of my reprinted letter there is a note that they plan to feature the Black Bird in an up coming issue. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Muscle Car Review Nov 2013.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	342247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Muscle Car Review Letters to Ed Black Bird.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	342248  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 11-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post
At the bottom of my reprinted letter there is a note that they plan to feature the Black Bird in an up coming issue. I'll keep you posted.
I (We) will look forward to it.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Senior Chief

Cool, Eric - will be on the lookout!!

Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Happy Holidays Guys. Pontiac secrets revealed!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr HEMI For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

lol...good one.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:26 AM

All Power Cars link: http://www.jrcentral.com/

Pontiac Main Page: http://www.jrcentral.com/pontiac.html

Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Dr. Hemi. Very interesting site. Man, there are some beauties on there...

Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found this especially interesting from the above link- Spamming before the advent of the internet.

How were these cars used?

One of my favorite ways that these little cars were used by dealerships in sales promotions went as follows. The dealership would load a junior car into the back of a pickup truck and take it down to the local school at recess time or after school let out. When the kids gathered around they were given coupons for one free test drive if they came down to the dealership with their parents that night. The kids would go home and put the pressure on Mom and Dad to let them drive that little car. To avoid the harassment and tears many parents would give in and go to the dealership with their kids. While they waited in line with the kids the parents were a captive audience for the dealership salesmen (like shooting fish in a barrel). They were told about the new features of the models on the showroom floor and given the opportunity to take a test drive of their own. When the kid was done with the test drive they were often told that the car they just drove would be given away and if they wanted to win it they needed to fill out the coupon and deposit it in the box. After everyone was gone the next day the salesmen would go through the coupons and get the names addresses and phone numbers of the parents and sometimes the year make and model of the car they currently owned. These contacts would be put to good use in sales calls. Any car salesman can tell you that the hardest part of selling a car is getting the customer in the showroom these little cars did that job.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Oh no. Now you've gone in there Greg and we'll never get you back.

If they wern't so hard to find they would make a nice winter project.

Did you look a their forum?

Oops.....Treading closely to a hi-jack here. Done for now.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I didn't look at the forum but I will. Cool page. I don't think Dr. Schiffer will mind an occasional short hijack...lol

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Hijack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
No, I didn't look at the forum but I will. Cool page. I don't think Dr. Schiffer will mind an occasional short hijack...lol
I hope you guys had a great holiday season.

I think it is great to have an open conversation about our favorite subject....cars of all sizes and makes! Without any puffery. Just an honest conversation.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Dr. Schiffer. How many kids do you guys think fell in love with cars because they got one of those things for Christmas years ago. There are some great vintage photos there also.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Unhappy Memories of Joe Ruggirello

The subject of Joe Ruggirello's Mustang II built by Jack Roush and his partner Wayne Gapp has been discussed in another area. At the time they were the Prostock winners with their four door Maverick "Taxi" and Mustang II that ran in the 8's.

You can view Jack's toys here: www.roushcollection.com

The statement below is by an old time Detroit street racer from the Thusrday night High End Club. Loren Budzinski. Loren builds some nice E85 compatible Pontiac street engines that run in the 10's.

By 1974 both the Black Bird and Addison's GTX old school technology of just low weight and brut horsepower were being out classed. Wangers came back with his red Monza and Ruggirello with his Mustang II. Others also showed up with cars but were more race and NOT legal for any NHRA class and barely legal on the street.

Loren states:
I decided to do a little research before I hung myself out too far on a limb. The story about Joe R. testing the water at the AMC camp was cute, but it was not the end of the story. In this time frame, Kenny Smith had available 3 cars. His daily driver, an 11.60 (hydraulic cam) Javelin, an 11 flat 454 cubic inch Ford tunnel port in a 1967 Shelby GT ( also daily driven) and a 9 second Rambler American put together out of old AMC prostock parts. He was always ready and willing to take on just about anything you could send to him, but he felt that if you were not ready to race then you should keep your mouth shut. Joe R. never came back, but he did apparently get his act together and tuned (perhaps with a checkbook) the Mustang, because I have it on good authority that he later was able to beat Jimmy Addison in the Silver Belvedere.
I do not think that this takes away from Addison because it was a case of a true street car built with 1960s technology (just as was the black Firebird) vs. a street driven, back-halved race car with a decade newer parts.
As a side note, a friend of mine who is a diehard Ford racer told me that he supplied the stroker crank for Joe's car and saw the car in various stages of construction at the shop that was occupied by Gapp and Rousch. Jack Rousch got the press for the car, but my friend told me that Wayne Gapp was the one that actually built the car and engine.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Default Ruggirello Mustang II

Joe's old steed in finished form. This photo from a couple of weeks ago at the NPD show at Silver Springs in Ocala, FL. The car is also to be featured on My Classic Car TV show this summer.