THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2024, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Used car dealer purchase - oil overfilled. Why?

Hi all,

I bought a car sight unseen a few months ago (76 cutlass salon) from a dealer in Florida. Ran good. I didn't even check the oil. Drove it maybe 100 miles. Leaking pretty good from the rear main, so I drained the oil and pulled the pan (can do in Olds unlike Pontiac) to replace the rear main seal. When I emptied the drain pan into some jugs, it turns out there was maybe as much as 10 quarts in that sucker.

Question is, was this conspiracy or incompetence? Could the dealer be overfilling oil like that to mask some type of engine problem?

I guess I'll learn the answer once I get it all back together but I'm doing a ton of greasy work on my back in a cold garage. Hope I don't end up with a knock or something on start up.

Thanks. Attached some pics just for fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4453.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	626853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4455.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	626854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446.jpg