Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2023, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default 67 front drum brake adjusters

I don't think my front drum brake adjusters are working. My car was pulling to the left slightly so I pulled the drums off and they both pulled right off . The shoes and cylinders and drums looked ok, so I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I adjusted the shoes up to where I just heard them scraping as I rotated the drum. I ended up replacing master cylinder as it was leaking between it and the booster. Test drove it a couple of miles and started out good but then got to pulling left slightly again. Not sure if need to adjust right side a little more or if a different probelm like a rubber line?

Old 11-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can check the adjuster, but yes, I would start by checking out the front right rubber line. I would replace both sides as I’m sure the other side would not be too far behind.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple diagnostic things you can do. But you need to be careful so you do not get burned from hot brake fluid. Drive the car until the brake pull becomes very noticeable. Get the car home and very carefully open the bleeder screw on the wheel that is hottest. If fluid comes out of the bleeder under pressure, the brake hose is closed off internally. Option 2 is just to replace the front brake hoses. The auto brake shoe adjusters have an over-ride spring and link that is supposed to not allow the shoes to over-adjust and become too tight. Finally, make sure the brake drums are +- .015" in diameter of each other. If the drum sizes vary more than that, the drums heat unevenly and may pull a little until they cool. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-25-2023, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For easier future service if you have a grinding burr cut in a radius around the perimeter of the drum from the edge of the drum into the area where the shoes ride a small amount.

then the next time you need to pull a drum off you will not have to back off on the adjustment to get passed a ware lip provided the drum is not too hot.

This mod also helps in braking on wet roads since it helps the drum to drain out water better since there will never be a lip that it needs to get passed.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-28-2023, 09:14 PM
Senior Chief

I probably won't get it cured soon as it is time for its hibernation. My thought of adjusting the right side is probably not a good one as the shoes will contact and ether the fluid flow is stronger on the left side, bad hose, cylinder is going bad, or shoes are braking defferently. Thanks for helpfull ideas. Will save them for spring.

Old 11-29-2023, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoat View Post
I don't think my front drum brake adjusters are working.
Disc brake upgrade.

Decent, functional drums on the rear are fine, especially considering park-brake issues and the removal of 9.5" drums on A-, F-, and X-bodies in favor of 11" drums from a suitable donor. But there's no reason to be stuck with drums up front.