Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to harry k Send a message via MSN to harry k Send a message via Yahoo to harry k
Default Cripe huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Nice Harry.

What I really do is provide readers with methods to do these things that we have found to work, thru many years of actually doing it.

Cripe, you have already pointed out that you can install the wrong length metering rods in the primary side of a Q-jet, then go back in and install the wrong jets to make them work, and come up with a good end result. Does doing things like that make your methods the best way to get the job done?

I'd much rather install the right parts the first time in, get a perfect end result, then go on and work on something else.

Same deal here with fuel systems. Folks have been "dead-heading" fuel systems for decades. The manufacturers of the pumps involved also send diagrams with them saying you can do this. So if it works for some, I'm happy for them.

If I can provide a flow path to pull about 136 more gallons of fuel thru a 140gph pump in one hour or so of street driving at light load and low rpm's, then that's what I'm going to do. I know the additional fuel flow will help cool the pump, and it woln't be hammering as much fuel up against the PR valve and back to the inlet.

Two things will happen here, the pump will run cooler, and the brushes will last longer. Same end result for the user as far as fuel delivery to the carburetor and vehicle performance is concerned.....FWIW.....Cliff
"What I really do is provide readers with methods to do these things that we have found to work, thru many years of actually doing it."
WHO IS WE ?
how many in your mfg. plant employed

"Cripe, you have already pointed out that you can install the wrong length metering rods in the primary side of a Q-jet, then go back in and install the wrong jets to make them work, and come up with a good end result. Does doing things like that make your methods the best way to get the job done?"
who made you god grace kelly in order to condem me that i used wrong metering rods,just becuase you stated its wrong,is that the end of conversation
you never showed 1 material to prove your statement that i used wrong metering rods

I'd much rather install the right parts the first time in, get a perfect end result, then go on and work on something else
we forgot to use the terminology "we" this time

Same deal here with fuel systems. Folks have been "dead-heading" fuel systems for decades. The manufacturers of the pumps involved also send diagrams with them saying you can do this. So if it works for some, I'm happy for them
not only over me & posters here as well
your method again seems to be proven better that many manufacturers
instruction huh

"If I can provide a flow path to pull about 136 more gallons of fuel thru a 140gph pump in one hour or so of street driving at light load and low rpm's, then that's what I'm going to do. I know the additional fuel flow will help cool the pump, and it woln't be hammering as much fuel up against the PR valve and back to the inlet"
again book writing skills & engineering information that has nothing to do when the consumer has allready bought a pump and using it succesfully

Two things will happen here, the pump will run cooler, and the brushes will last longer. Same end result for the user as far as fuel delivery to the carburetor and vehicle performance is concerned.....FWIW.....Cliff
i guess showing you solid proof for using the "dead head" mallory pump for 25+ years wasn't good enough
no wait a minute ..but its always going to be Cliff to have the last words !!!!!

Last edited by harry k; 06-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Todd1035

Whats the difference? You guys dont agree with Cliff, and thats your choice. Enjoy running your dead head systems. No body tells you you are not allowed.
Harry, your receipts are impressive. That is great that you have run a pump on the street since 1988. I have a Mallory 140 that I gave my brother in 1995. He runs 10.60 with a Boss 302 and a Demon carberator. and its still going. I'm not sure stuff manufactured today is as good as once was.
The Firebird I purchased last year had a 140 in it. The car barely made it down the track, running 11.20's. I installed an Aeromotive recirc fuel system in it, ran 10.60's the next week. That Grumpy Jenkins 1970's thinking is horsesh**. When driving to car shows, and getting ice cream, and maybe a pass down the track once in a while is all you do anything will work. But for all out performance and reliability, the new recirc stuff is light years ahead.
Cliff is a great guy and a smart guy. He comes on here and offers advise, and helps people. Doesn't talk down to anyone. The Qjet book he wrote is top notch, and regarded as a valuable information source by many people. Especally is my game where we are looking for all out performance, with limited parts. If you dont agree with him fine, dont publicly insult the man... Off the soap box

Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the return is important for high volume systems needed for high HP because of the big difference of demand/supply at WOT and idle. My friend's alcohol carbed sprint car used one way back when, I've got one set up on the Camaro/IA using a Mallory 250.

But is is one more line to leak or break down-especially SS braided line using todays ethanol blended gas.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What about the good ole Carter M6907? I was thinking of using one of these on my LeMans project with 1/2" alum line from the sump to the pump and 3/8 to the Q-jet. Mine isn't a big HP car, 350HP max.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1035 View Post
I'm not sure stuff manufactured today is as good as once was.
The Firebird I purchased last year had a 140 in it. The car barely made it down the track, running 11.20's.
This may be a good point. The first 140 I purchased was about 10 years ago and it lasted for 7-8 years of city driving/cruising but got very noisy all the sudden. I got 1 summer out of the second and it was fried. Both were very quiet until they got some wear on them then they got progressively louder. Maybe they just don't make them like they used too? RobbMc who worked at Mallory might have some insight here.

The Carter that went bad was years ago when the switch to ethanol was taking place. I always thought that may have had something to do with the quick/early failure.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
Old 06-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Todd for the comments above.

The readers have to keep in mind here that I am trying to bring folks out of the dark ages with this stuff. We do test EVERYTHING, and of course, it's just not possible to discuss all these topics without a few folks getting their panties all wadded up, and attacking the messenger, etc.

Bothers me not in the least, the facts are what they are. I really don't care what anyone else does, just providing useable and accurate information, no matter who it pisses off or how much they attack the messenger, the facts are what they are......FWIW......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Jeff, you will fine NOTHING between the two different carburetors, provided both are correctly set up for the application, and if you do, you need to go back and figure out what you didn't do right with the Holley!!
Cliff
Most times spent now a day's correcting Qjet oversights as apprently you've been scaring off your customers with your negitave posting here or on the phone with them.

Your not the Cliffy I've thought I knew....very bitter....take a long ride on your bike and reflect on your life, friends and who you are to others.

Hope you get some help there!

Thanks

Last edited by shaker455; 06-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, you are just dabbling with this stuff. I highly recommend that you keep your day job, and keep your personal comments directed at or toward me to yourself.

One day when you quit being a full time machinist for someone else, and part time carb builder on a picnic table in your back yard after work, and support yourself and your family full time in this industry, you will understand what is really involved with dealing with HUNDREDS of customers every singe day, all day long.

Considering the amount of work we do here, I have very, very few problems in any area.

Some words of caution here if I may, your own work isn't without flaws, or not making the grade either. If you want to start making a list, I SERIOUS doubt if my list is smaller than yours....FWIW

Anyhow, this website is NOT the place to "air" out that sort of stuff, or to try to draw more work toward yourself with comments as you made above, trying to indicate to readers that you are better at this deal than someone else, or spend much of your time correcting issues with my work or anyone elses.

If my count is right, that is at least the 3rd time you have tried to pass that message in Public Forum, and i've even been sent emails from other Business owners that post here about it. Being a nice guy, I've just ignored it, till now.

I can say this to you and everyone else for a FACT, I don't know anything about it, which means it's either all BS, or the customer didn't contact my shop if what we did for them wasn't up to par. No one in this industry goes further with customer assistance than I do, period!.

Anyhow, my advice to you young man, is that "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones", and I am DONE with this thread......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some really great things come from picanick tables... now im pisst

Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Question for NHRASuperStocker455SD, "We run two hoses 1/2 from the 4 port regulator to the Qjet."

Does this mean you run two 1/2 inch hoses from regulator back into one fitting into the Q-Jet inlet? I assume this just gives you more available volume between the regulator and the carb as the single QJet inlet fitting is still a bottleneck....

thx - I am fighting the same issues as well. planning to add recirculation line and bigger supply fuel lines.