Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another thrust bearing problem...

On my newest build, i get .006 endplay with out caps on the block, and less than .001 when i install #4 cap.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Start sanding that thrust bearing, woopee! What crank?

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

Just remember to sand the right side! Luckily PDude has just the thrust bearings for sale..... I sanded one correctly, and the other.. well.. I didn't check that I was sanding the correct side....

Old 07-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always something huh?

Old 07-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Boost Engineer

Tuition costs money Sarge!

See you at norwalk.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJUNTOM
... less than .001 when i install #4 cap.
Before torqueing the cap, did you force the crank back and forth with the cap just barely snugged down? I also like to put some forward force on the crank as I take the cap from 'snug' to 'torqued'.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How tight is that cap side thrust bearing going on to the cap, as I bet that cap side bearing is spreading, is the thrust surface of the cap greater than the thrust surface in the block?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't start sanding on the thrust bearing until you determine that there is a difference in thickness on the bearing halves..,,,which I doubt there is!!!! I would suspect the cap alignment to the block.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac jack
Before torqueing the cap, did you force the crank back and forth with the cap just barely snugged down? I also like to put some forward force on the crank as I take the cap from 'snug' to 'torqued'.
Tried that first, didn't help. But I'm thinking that since the cap is doweled, and the bearing is meant to fit snug on the cap, then I can't expect to get much from it anyways unless I have a problem with something being sloppy.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74t/a
Don't start sanding on the thrust bearing until you determine that there is a difference in thickness on the bearing halves..,,,which I doubt there is!!!! I would suspect the cap alignment to the block.
My thoughts exactly. That's about the only thing it could be other than one bearing shell being wider than the other.

What I did was use a straightedge and a flashlight to determine that the cap was offset toward the rear of the block slightly, so then knew that I needed to remove material from the rear side of the bearing on the cap, and from the front side of the bearing in the block. So I removed .003 from each place, and ended up with .005 endplay when done.

I used the 400 grit wet & dry with water on a piece of glass (old picture) to remove material while frequently monitoring how much I removed with my dial calipers. Then when the size I wanted was reached, I then went to the 600 grit.

Here's a pic: