Old 05-20-2000, 11:59 AM

Was getting ready to put the 462 in the '80 when I noticed the crank pulley stuck out almost a full groove past the wp pulley. I thought all '69+ waterpumps, dampers and front covers were identical, but I seem to recall there was briefly a short pump in between the 67-68 and later 69-up pumps. Am I going senile? I have the exact same pulley part #s on it that came stock on my '71 so something ain't right.

Old 05-20-2000, 11:59 AM

Was getting ready to put the 462 in the '80 when I noticed the crank pulley stuck out almost a full groove past the wp pulley. I thought all '69+ waterpumps, dampers and front covers were identical, but I seem to recall there was briefly a short pump in between the 67-68 and later 69-up pumps. Am I going senile? I have the exact same pulley part #s on it that came stock on my '71 so something ain't right.

Old 05-20-2000, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Judge, '69 model was the year for short waterpump (early) & tall waterpump (late). By using the tall '69 or later w/p, you are correct, that you can interchange '71 & later pulleys on your '69. With time, it is getting increasingly difficult to find some of these pulleys.

Old 05-20-2000, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Hey Smails, 50 bucks says you slice into the woods"

On a more serious note, Perfomance Years does sell the short snout water pump for early '69s. Its p/n is GME39A and sells for $30.00
Ames Performance also sells it under p/n N140NP for $29.00
You might even try your local auto parts stores. You will be suprised at what they have in stock for older Pontiac's

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"
Check out my restoration at http://members.aol.com/jetmech15/gto

Old 05-20-2000, 03:13 PM

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood, sir, and I never slice.......DAMN!!

I actually have the opposite problem...ended up with the "short" pump (maybe it saw Hillary in a miniskirt?)-- cast in March I think. Problem is, it's a '74 block with '71 #96 heads and I'm using all '70s accessories. Luckily the long ones are a lot more plentiful. Thanks all.

[This message has been edited by Judge Smails (edited 05-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Judge Smails (edited 05-21-2000).]