Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM

Default 428 block only worth

Have a chance to buy a 67 YH 428 block only with no caps. Seller has several caps I can take and see if my machinist can match up close enough to be honed. I do not think he has any 4 bot caps but for my use no real need. He also has a 4" crank that has been turned .020 on both mains and rods. He wants $400 for both with the understanding of being able to hone the block. What do you guys think.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of 4 bolt caps if you need them. Close or not, you'll need to have the block line bored.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Was told by Butler you should not line bore stock caps, he said if you get caps that are close (within maybe .002 or .003) you can hone it.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM
Suspended

According to Rocky's book several vendors sell replacement caps.

but still......

I wonder what a 428 with 4 bolt mains is worth? I just bought one, a 1969 4 bolt main complete with ARP studs and standard bore for 500 bucks from Pontirag in AZ

Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirIV28 View Post
According to Rocky's book several vendors sell replacement caps.

but still......

I wonder what a 428 with 4 bolt mains is worth? I just bought one, a 1969 4 bolt main complete with ARP studs and standard bore for 500 bucks from Pontirag in AZ

That is a great deai - getting one without any main caps will run up your machining costs. I am not so sure that 400 bucks for the OP to pay for a bare block with some loose, non-fitting caps is really that great a deal.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Druin View Post
Was told by Butler you should not line bore stock caps, he said if you get caps that are close (within maybe .002 or .003) you can hone it.
I've align bored several thousand blocks. IF you can find a set that close, it would still need to be align bored. Funny, as thick as Pontiac caps are I would see no problem align boring them.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would avoid a block that is missing the original rear cap. Even if you could find a cap that fits close enough to align bore/hone I would be worried that the rear main seal would always leak. Every once in a while you see a standard bore block for sale missing all five caps and bolts and I can't figure out why someone would separate them from the original motor. IMHO, better off to pass on it and find a complete block.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM

Sorry, I must have miss understood what Butler was telling me. No problem to align bore but I guess he was saying if I get close enough with the caps I may be able to just hone. Anyways sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Druin View Post
Sorry, I must have miss understood what Butler was telling me. No problem to align bore but I guess he was saying if I get close enough with the caps I may be able to just hone. Anyways sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth.
In my experience, the chances of finding a set of main caps that would fit close enough to align hone is about 1 in 100. I had 200 sets of 6.2/6.5 GM caps. 1 out of 100 set would fit close enough (.002-.003) to hone. Everything else would have to be align bored.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the best way is to used oversize dowels so you can move the caps wherever needed

Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO View Post
the best way is to used oversize dowels so you can move the caps wherever needed
WHAT? I use SBC head dowels when machining Pontiac mains. They're .003 oversize and it has ZERO effect on realigning the main bore/main caps.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
WHAT? I use SBC head dowels when machining Pontiac mains. They're .003 oversize and it has ZERO effect on realigning the main bore/main caps.
I'm pretty sure he is talking about removing the factory dowels and bolting on the non matching caps as close as possible to where it fits the best in regards to the bore, and from there you carefully tighten the bolts to hold them in place taking great care that they do not move. Then you enlarge the dowel holes in the cap and the block to accommodate a larger dowel.

Now the non matching caps are a lot closer and can be align bored much easier, possibly honed

I had to do this on my 428 block when I replaced my number 1 cap because of a crack and installed aftermarket 4 bolts caps.

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428GTO70 View Post
I'm pretty sure he is talking about removing the factory dowels and bolting on the non matching caps as close as possible to where it fits the best in regards to the bore, and from there you carefully tighten the bolts to hold them in place taking great care that they do not move. Then you enlarge the dowel holes in the cap and the block to accommodate a larger dowel.

Now the non matching caps are a lot closer and can be align bored much easier, possibly honed

I had to do this on my 428 block when I replaced my number 1 cap because of a crack and installed aftermarket 4 bolts caps.
OK? Sounds like a LOT of work when you can install aftermarket BILLET caps MUCH easier.

Dr. Thomas Sowell