Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I got the flow numbers back on my #62 heads and its more bad news I'm afraid. (On top of the SEVERE budget cutback news of last month on this project.)

I would like some advice on how to procede.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH:

-'69 GTO formerly a "ProStreet" project which I have spent the last 6months working on again (after it sat in the garage 15 yrs) to repair some body damage and finish the rollcage and "backhalf." Currently getting ready to re-paint.
- Ford 9" with 4.33 gears and 4-link.
- TH400 with ~3500 stall Hughes "GM35" convertor
- Fiberglass one-pc front end (-345lbs!)
- Moroso front "drag" springs
- #62 Heads with 76cc chambers flowing as follows:
Lift Int Exh
.200 143 99
.300 199 129
.400 216 155
.500 219 171
.600 222 180

- I calculate the finished weight with me inside at 3300 lbs.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED TO GET/DECIDE:

- Block/Crank CID combo (Not afraid of high compression as this car will rarely see any street driving)(I have found a 400 bare block for $175 I could buy this weekend.)
- Cam / Induction (Gotta go cheap, flat tappet cam and single carb i guess)
- What would be a realistic ET/MPH expectation based on the above and my new "restrictions"

I appologize about the length of this post. Just has not been a good year so far. Want to get this thing RUNNING but seems every step is fighting me now. Thanks for reading and to anyone who takes the time to offer some advice. I am half afraid to enter these new "real" head flow numbers into my desktop dyno...

"Nothing Beats an Ol' Goat..."

Old 04-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I got the flow numbers back on my #62 heads and its more bad news I'm afraid. (On top of the SEVERE budget cutback news of last month on this project.)

I would like some advice on how to procede.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH:

-'69 GTO formerly a "ProStreet" project which I have spent the last 6months working on again (after it sat in the garage 15 yrs) to repair some body damage and finish the rollcage and "backhalf." Currently getting ready to re-paint.
- Ford 9" with 4.33 gears and 4-link.
- TH400 with ~3500 stall Hughes "GM35" convertor
- Fiberglass one-pc front end (-345lbs!)
- Moroso front "drag" springs
Lift Int Exh
.200 143 99
.300 199 129
.400 216 155
.500 219 171
.600 222 180

- I calculate the finished weight with me inside at 3300 lbs.

HERE IS WHAT I NEED TO GET/DECIDE:

- Block/Crank CID combo (Not afraid of high compression as this car will rarely see any street driving)(I have found a 400 bare block for $175 I could buy this weekend.)
- Cam / Induction (Gotta go cheap, flat tappet cam and single carb i guess)
- What would be a realistic ET/MPH expectation based on the above and my new "restrictions"

I appologize about the length of this post. Just has not been a good year so far. Want to get this thing RUNNING but seems every step is fighting me now. Thanks for reading and to anyone who takes the time to offer some advice. I am half afraid to enter these new "real" head flow numbers into my desktop dyno...

Old 04-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if you could get the compression up over 11 to 1 with a 400 & use a good solid cam like the Lunati 510,531 Hydraulic i could see some 11.70's or better depending on the weight of your car.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GoatRider:
Lift Int Exh
.200 143 99
.300 199 129
.400 216 155
.500 219 171
.600 222 180

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At what inch of water was that done at? the numbers seem real low! the way i look at that if it is done a 28" of water a #46 350 GTO stocker head flows better? and it has small valves? that don't seem right. from the Wallace site and Pete McCarthy flow #'s the converting them from 12" to 28" the flow on the 350 heads come out to 276.93 @ .500 lift. that don't sound right.

http://home.earthlink.net/~saawatson/ my 1983 trans am. PONTIAC POWERED

Old 04-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was told these ARE the numbers for 28" water pressure. Which is why I was so BUMMED to hear them.

My engine shop farmed the flow test out and read me these numbers over the phone yesterday. He did say something about "just finishing the calculations" hmmm maybe he ran the tests at 25" water or less and made a mistake in "caluculating?" I will have to take a close look at the paperwork when I pick them up today.

Should I get a second opinion?

Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you home port them or what??
I have heard one can totally mess up good heads doing your own port work.
Actually beginning to wonder if i havent done that ..would love to have my heads flowed but no place round here to do it.
Mike

Old 04-03-2003, 10:12 AM
On Vacation

A flow bench is a tool. The numbers are just a tool. Every tool will give you a different number. Much more important to have velocity and swirl than big flow numbers.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GoatRider:
I was told these ARE the numbers for 28" water pressure. Which is why I was so BUMMED to hear them.

My engine shop farmed the flow test out and read me these numbers over the phone yesterday. He did say something about "just finishing the calculations" hmmm maybe he ran the tests at 25" water or less and made a mistake in "caluculating?" I will have to take a close look at the paperwork when I pick them up today.

Should I get a second opinion?

http://www.wacomquartz.com/images/li...on2orqcopy.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

tell you what if they are unported heads, i don't care what the flow #'s say! slide in a good cam good compression a good carb and intake and it should rock and roll a 3300 lbs car. i run #62 heads on my 455they are ported by me so they proably flow worse than yours and with sunk top pistons and a wore out std bore 455 block with a sleve. it ran 7.82 1/8 mile on all motor using a RAM air III cam. proably been better if the tranny didn't poop out.

http://home.earthlink.net/~saawatson/ my 1983 trans am. PONTIAC POWERED