Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A Body Spindles

I am pretty sure there is a difference in the height of A Body disc brake spindles between 67-72, some are taller than others even though they are technically interchangeable. Does anyone know which of these years have the tallest spindle. Thank you.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A-body spindle height (64-72) remained the same. But I *think* I see where confusion
might arise? You mentioned 67+. Discs were introduced that year. There's a difference
between the drum and disc spindles, it's the thickness of the boss for the big upper bolt.
But it's on the face, not the overall height. Mill off the appropriate amount from a drum
spindle and you've got a disc spindle. HTH.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They're not "spindles". Spindles are only a part of the steering knuckle, they're the long tapered rod that support the wheel bearings. On some steering knuckles, the spindle is an integral part, on others the spindle is bolted or pressed or welded into the knuckle.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The spindles on my 67 LeMans are quite a bit taller than the spindles on my 65 LeMans both have disc brakes. I need to find a taller spindles for my 65 like the ones on my 67. If they are all the same size then why does my 67 have taller spindles?

Old 09-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If they both aren't the same height, one of them isn't 64-72 A-body. The second gen
F-bodies and various B-bodies used taller ones. Easiest way to tell is the original stuff
used a separate steering arm (pictured below). If it's integral, it's been swapped.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am currently out of the country on business and won't be back home until October 17th and will take a look at the spindle on my 67. I know the spindle on the 65 the shorter one has a separate steering arm and I am pretty sure the 67 with the taller spindle is the same. I will verify this when I get home.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful with 'new' 'replacement' Steering knuckles/spindles, there are quality issue with them, and have been numerous reports of failures. (Check pro-touring.com if in doubt)

Don't buy drop spindles, those have a higher rate of failure.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 AM
Pontiac Performance Author

Tim: did someone do the "tall spindle conversion" ?
242177 is correct for ID

Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'64-72 A-body spindles are all the same height & design. The only difference is '64-66 spindles were machined for smaller diam bolts that attach the steering arms.

Original GM A-body steering arms break down as:
'64-66 (two smaller diam holes for steering arms)
'67-70 (slightly larger diam holes...)
'71-72 ("beefier" castings, easy to spot)

More factory front suspension details...

Original Saginaw outer tierods, inner tie rods, & their respective sleeves, all increased in diameter for '71 model GM A-body's.

Original Saginaw upper ball joints are cosmetically different (tall protusion tops) for '70-72 A-body's. Much different in appearance than their predecessor, the late '60's version. For some odd reason, original '70-72 Grand Prix upper control arms retained the slight domed upper ballpoint that was used on late '60's GM A-body & '69 GP upper control arms. Found that odd last week but confirmed on own '69 as well as nearly a dozen decades parked '70-72 GP partscars.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH
I ran across this when rebuilding my 68 drum brake suspension.
Original spindle was scored so I found a good one from a muscle car junkyard. When I went to install it I noticed the backing plate mounting bolt hole was larger in diameter than my original. Contacted the yard who said it came from a Chevelle but they would take it back. Found a correct one later on.
Ever see this before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9A85ABBF-0448-420D-99CA-628D2D363118_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	550557  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 09-29-2020, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed, have quite a few 5 gal buckets full of loose spindles, I will have to double check. Most are of the style you have pictured on the top & Ive parted many many more '68-72's, than early cars. Have machined, center bored, & tapped many of the style you have pictured on the top to make disc spindles out of them. Last week, a good Pontiac restorer buddy was here for over a week, & we took time, & went through quite a bit of my parts stock looking for early GTO drums. After that, can say I dont have any '64 or '65 loaded spindles to double check.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thumbnail for drum spindles:

1964-72 Pontiac A Body 1/2" upper, 7/16" lower

1964-72 Buick, Olds A Bodies 1/2" upper, 1/2" lower

1964-early 65 Chevy A Body 1/2" upper, 7/16" lower

1965-72 Chevy A Body 5/8" upper, 1/2" lower

1964-early 65 Chevy X Body 1/2" upper, 7/16" lower

1965- 74 Chevy X Body 5/8" upper, 7/16" lower

1967-69 Pontiac, Chevy F Bodies 5/8" upper, 1/2" lower

Old 09-29-2020, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Ed, have quite a few 5 gal buckets full of loose spindles, I will have to double check. Most are of the style you have pictured on the top & Ive parted many many more '68-72's, than early cars. Have machined, center bored, & tapped many of the style you have pictured on the top to make disc spindles out of them. Last week, a good Pontiac restorer buddy was here for over a week, & we took time, & went through quite a bit of my parts stock looking for early GTO drums. After that, can say I dont have any '64 or '65 loaded spindles to double check.
You don't need to do that. I found a good one shortly thereafter. I always assumed (incorrectly it seems) that they were all the same. You and Scarecrow made this a learning moment. Thanks.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 09-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 LeMans came with drum brakes up front and I bought a disc brake conversion kit from Inline Tube and it works great and the car brakes and handles very vice. I recently bought a disc brake conversion kit for my 65 LeMans from another vendor. I was comparing the spindles between both cars and noticed the spindles on the 67 are quite a bit taller and I would like to get the same spindles for my 65 so I could have more travel. So I am very curious what spindles are on the 67. The kit for the 65 did not include the steering arms so I need to get them separately.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
I was comparing the spindles between both cars and noticed the spindles on the 67 are quite a bit taller and I would like to get the same spindles for my 65
You were NOT comparing "spindles"; you were comparing steering knuckles. The "spindle" is the sticky-out "pe nis" part, that the wheel bearings ride on. The spindle may or may not be an integral part of the knuckle. A cast-iron knuckle is going to have a steel spindle pressed/bolted/welded/swaged in place, a forged-steel knuckle might have the spindle formed from the parent piece of forged steel, machined to shape.

Quote:
so I could have more travel.
"More travel"? More travel where, or of what?

The "tall" steering knuckle likely has LESS travel side-to-side, which is why the turn radius increases.

Up 'n' down travel is controlled by the bump stops, not the knuckle.

Quote:
So I am very curious what spindles are on the 67. The kit for the 65 did not include the steering arms so I need to get them separately.
I expect the "tall" knuckle is from a newer A, B, F, X. It might be some aftermarket knockoff, or it could be an aftermarket design owing little to OEM components.

Photos? Casting numbers? Link to the vendor's information on your "Kit"? How could we know what's on your car unless you provide some additional information? We're just guessing, but the "best guess" is that you have some version of the cast-iron GM steering knuckle from the A-B-F-X first used in 1970, and last used on...the '96 Whale "B"-body? They came in early and late versions (later was "computer designed" to reduce weight while maintaining strength) and 11" and 12" rotor diameters, with various bearing sizes.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The spindle is the part that the rotor or brake drum attaches to and I suppose you could call it an axle too, you think I don't already know that?????? It's all one assembly you can call it a knuckle or what ever you want to I don't need you to play Mr. know it all these assemblies are commonly called spindles. I asked that question as to the applicability of the spindles included in their kit to inline tube and their tech guy told me they were factory 1970 spindles. I guess that may not be correct so I have no idea what they are. There are a few reasons why people like taller spindles as it affects how the vehicle corners and handles but in my case the 65 is my drag car and more travel equals better weight transfer on launch and yes it will give me more travel with a taller spindle. I'm currently stuck in Tokyo for a few weeks on business but when I get back home I will take a good look at those spindles on the 67 and take a couple pics and post them and maybe someone can help me figure this out. I appreciate everyone's comments and setting me straight on that that all factory 64-72 spindles are the same.

Last edited by Tim Corcoran; 09-30-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
their tech guy told me they were factory 1970 spindles.
From a Camaro/Firebird???

Quote:
more travel equals better weight transfer on launch and yes it will give me more travel with a taller spindle.
OK, the suspension would have some additional travel before the bump-stop hit the upper arm, if the steering knuckle was taller. Now that makes sense to me.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The guy at Inline Tube said the spindles were 1970 A Body.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's comments and setting me straight on that that all factory 64-72 spindles are the same.
Close but no cigar if you are only talking about Pontiac A Body spindles and do not split out the disc brake spindle (different upper BOSS height) vs the drum brake spindle boss height. (How far the boss thickness outward is).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am pretty sure there is a difference in the height of A Body disc brake spindles between 67-72, some are taller than others even though they are technically interchangeable. Does anyone know which of these years have the tallest spindle. Thank you.
If you use the '69-'72 knuckles/spindles from any A body, they will be the same height/dimensions as your old drum brake spindles. I'm talking the set-ups with the single piston calipers, not the old '67-'68 4 piston calipers. Have done this swap using '72 knuckles on a '65 GTO and the measurements were exactly the same.