Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw7849 View Post
I believe you are absolutely correct about the difference between 64-65 cars with mechanical linkage and manual transmission and earlier cars which used vacuum control on Pontiacs with either manual or automatic transmissions. In fact I was able to find out from OPR that their manufacturer/supplier did specifically mention the later GTOs with automatic transmission in their description of the vacuum canister applications. However, OPG showed no interest in pursuing this question with their supplier in order to correct the error in their catalog which said it to be used only on 59-65 Pontiacs with automatic transmissions. This surprises me since I would have thought OPR would have wanted to correct the error once it had been brought to their attention.
I was getting the same run around from all parts houses concerning drip rail molding for my 62 Catalina 2dr post. I thought because no one sells the stuff for a post car that I could just buy it in bulk from the supplier. I get the point that these places don't want someone doing a end run around them to the supplier, but their unwillingness to obtain it and sell it to you in bulk is just a control issue.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 PM

Default 59 Bucket seat install

Can anyone shed light on the brackets for a power bucket seat? I'm having trouble configuring the mounting as I have them now, they set too high
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240430_162443.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	632952  

Old 05-01-2024, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes59Bonneville View Post
Can anyone shed light on the brackets for a power bucket seat? I'm having trouble configuring the mounting as I have them now, they set too high
If you are a member of POCI look up David J .Evans (Bonneville Joe) in Bandera Texas he is the expert. Early hard back bucket seat mounts of any flavor are made of unobtanium so you are probably going to have to end up cutting what you have down until it suits you.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:17 PM

Mike.....I see a lot wrong with that setup. First, buckets were only available on Bonnevilles, and only without power seats. Power seats were available on all bench seat cars, but were six way, not the four way as shown by your switch. It would seem that someone cobbled that together from some other car, and did a poor job of fabricating the support brackets. All of the parts that hide the mechanism were made of plastic. It may be possible to section those steel plates to make it sit lower, but it is not going to be authentic......John

Old 05-01-2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
If you are a member of POCI look up David J .Evans (Bonneville Joe) in Bandera Texas he is the expert. Early hard back bucket seat mounts of any flavor are made of unobtanium so you are probably going to have to end up cutting what you have down until it suits you.
Thanks much!

Old 05-01-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATBIRD View Post
Mike.....I see a lot wrong with that setup. First, buckets were only available on Bonnevilles, and only without power seats. Power seats were available on all bench seat cars, but were six way, not the four way as shown by your switch. It would seem that someone cobbled that together from some other car, and did a poor job of fabricating the support brackets. All of the parts that hide the mechanism were made of plastic. It may be possible to section those steel plates to make it sit lower, but it is not going to be authentic......John
Thanks John, yeah these were from 61 caddy, the brackets are wrong as I've been educated by a pro, apparently 59 60 brackets would lower seats if they were not power, that's the curveball, I will have to make or mod these to solve issue

Old 05-02-2024, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a 61 Ventura some years ago that had what I think were 62 buckets.I found and restored a set of metal back buckets.I think I just used the mounts that were in the car.Might look at mounts in a junk 62 GP.Tom

Old 05-06-2024, 02:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a set of '61 Buick power buckets that I attempted to put in my '60 Bonneville and they definitely will not fit, too tall as you experienced. The tracks are too tall since the floor pans are different on the '59/'60 vs '61 up. however they do fit perfectly in my '61 Catalina. Plus power buckets were not available on the Pontiac versions of the hardbacks. You could make some custom mounts but I'd bet the power motor would no longer fit once you lowered the seat down.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too