Old 12-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Default Adding AC brakets and pulleys - help!

Restoring a 73 TA and adding Vintage Air to a non-AC car with power steering. All the accessories and pulleys are off the engine currently. Two questions:

1. If I go with stock pulleys, what AC brackets and pulleys will I need to locate, and will I have any problems with alignment, belts, etc.?

2. Would it be smarter and easier to use a March serpentine conversion? These are available in black powder coat so it would not be glaringly non-standard.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The typical Vintage Air set-up uses a Sandeen compressor, it's not compatible with stock Pontiac V8 brackets. On anything close to a restoration, most of us are big on using stock a/c brackets & A6 or R4 stock style compressors. Something many of us have witnessed over & over, spending big bucks on a Pontiac v8 March serpentine set-up & Vintage A/C will never be recouped when (and it does happen) one sells the car. The same money would often be better spent towards quality bodywork, interior, or drivetrain work. A good friend recently picked up a few pieces left over from an early Firebird build. Owner had yanked all the stock brackets & pulleys to go serpentine with all the shiny alum pulleys & polished brackets. Car also had Vintage a/c added as well. Total outlay on car build was little over 50K. Owner was ready to move on, & couldn't get 20K out of the completed car. It was his money, but I bet he never blows nearly 2K again on those two purchases. Many uninformed purchasers also fall for the "modern" 134A refrigerant selling argument, R12 & R12 substitutes are out there, blow colder and only way to go. Just my .02.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
The typical Vintage Air set-up uses a Sandeen compressor, it's not compatible with stock Pontiac V8 brackets. On anything close to a restoration, most of us are big on using stock a/c brackets & A6 or R4 stock style compressors. Something many of us have witnessed over & over, spending big bucks on a Pontiac v8 March serpentine set-up & Vintage A/C will never be recouped when (and it does happen) one sells the car. The same money would often be better spent towards quality bodywork, interior, or drivetrain work. A good friend recently picked up a few pieces left over from an early Firebird build. Owner had yanked all the stock brackets & pulleys to go serpentine with all the shiny alum pulleys & polished brackets. Car also had Vintage a/c added as well. Total outlay on car build was little over 50K. Owner was ready to move on, & couldn't get 20K out of the completed car. It was his money, but I bet he never blows nearly 2K again on those two purchases. Many uninformed purchasers also fall for the "modern" 134A refrigerant selling argument, R12 & R12 substitutes are out there, blow colder and only way to go. Just my .02.
I live in Texas so AC is not optional. Are you suggesting using stock AC brakets and a stock style compressor with the Vintage Air unit? What stock brackets and pulleys (Grooved balancer?) will I need? What stock style compressor would you recommend?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockb455 View Post
I live in Texas so AC is not optional. Are you suggesting using stock AC brackets and a stock style compressor with the Vintage Air unit? What stock brackets and pulleys (Grooved balancer?) will I need? What stock style compressor would you recommend?
I recommend the Sanden compressor.
Vintage Air offers a bracket to mount the Sanden compressor. It is lighter weight, smaller size.
on a Pontiac engine, Part number is 141001-PPA This bracket uses the stock Pontiac pulleys.
Follow link scroll down to # 65 Compressors / Compressor Accessories.
http://www.vintageair.com/catalog.asp
As ol pinion head recommends use R12. The stock system was designed for it.
Even though the Sanden is rated for R134 they will operate on R12 just fine.
At the same time, replace all hoses with new Teflon barrier hose. If you have the original hoses with
the metal fittings Any local automotive AC shop can do this. As long as the metal fittings are not damaged they can be reused.

Last edited by Ollie; 12-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM

Default One last question about AC pulleys

This is an install on a non-AC trans am so I will get all the hoses, sanden compressor, Pontiac bracket, condenser, and Gen IV Magnum unit from Vintage Air.

I have located the additional stock AC pulley that goes on the crank behind the stock WP/PS crank pulley.

Am I correct the the water pump, alternator, and power-steering pulleys stay the same?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
This is an install on a non-AC trans am so I will get all the hoses, Sanden compressor, Pontiac bracket, condenser, and Gen IV Magnum unit from Vintage Air.

I have located the additional stock AC pulley that goes on the crank behind the stock WP/PS crank pulley.

Am I correct the the water pump, alternator, and power-steering pulleys stay the same?
Yes, When you remove the pulleys, there will also be a ring bolted between the pulleys and harmonic balancer.. This is a spacer that spaces the other pulleys the proper distance on cars not equipped with AC. Bolt this spacer in front of the pulleys when you reassemble them.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Restoring a 73 TA and adding Vintage Air to a non-AC car with power steering. All the accessories and pulleys are off the engine currently. Two questions:

1. If I go with stock pulleys, what AC brackets and pulleys will I need to locate, and will I have any problems with alignment, belts, etc.?

2. Would it be smarter and easier to use a March serpentine conversion? These are available in black powder coat so it would not be glaringly non-standard.

Opinions? Suggestions?
FWIW There is a new Sanden compressor model that fits in STOCK A6 Compressor brackets. It retains the stock look and will apparently bolt into the stock brackets AND use the stock A/C hose attachment at the compressor. I understand that what you are doing is not exactly inline with this response but other A/C guys likely will be reading this and perhaps learn something to help themselves with their projects.

I am currently working on a Chevy BBC A/C project on a non Pontiac and heard about this thru some research. Not sure of the details and not sure this is a direction you want to take but if it helps it helps.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ramairowner View Post
FWIW There is a new Sanden compressor model that fits in STOCK A6 Compressor brackets. It retains the stock look and will apparently bolt into the stock brackets AND use the stock A/C hose attachment at the compressor. I understand that what you are doing is not exactly inline with this response but other A/C guys likely will be reading this and perhaps learn something to help themselves with their projects.

I am currently working on a Chevy BBC A/C project on a non Pontiac and heard about this thru some research. Not sure of the details and not sure this is a direction you want to take but if it helps it helps.
I appreciate the info. I am trying to "look original" so this is worth looking into.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the info. I am trying to "look original" so this is worth looking into.
BrockB455 (and any other folks looking at this thread). Here is the info I got from a guy who is very in the know about A/C on A-Body GM cars. I cannot vouch for any of this because I already have my "Standard" Sanden but it sure sounds interesting.

"The Sanden compressor is very much up to the task (Editors Note: the task = running the stock A-Body A/C system) . If you haven't purchased it yet, look at the Pro6ten. It's a direct bolt in replacement for the old A6. No need to change the mounts, pulleys or hose manifold configuration. It uses Sanden internals and is available in black, natural aluminum and polished. Might be a good option for you."

http://www.autoacforum.com/textthrea...AR_MSGDBTABLE=

Last edited by 67ramairowner; 12-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.