Old 06-26-2011, 05:34 PM

Default Help! Correct wiring for remote battery on street car

I moved my optima battery to the trunk of my 73 TA, and installed a battery box and master two lug (+) cut-off switch for theft and storage purposes. I have 0/2 gauge positive and negative cables to route to the front. I plan to run the positive cable under the car on the drivers side, and the negative on the passenger side

I have read all the posts in the racing section about a remote starter solinoid so the positive cable will only be hot during starting. I plan on using the solenoid and trunk wiring kits from MAD http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/st-1.shtml

I am an idiot when it comes to electrical wiring. Can someone point me to a clean safe way to wire this remote battery, cut off, and solenoid; and connect it correctly and cleanly to the original wiring in the engine bay? Also the ground for a unibody car like my TA?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The kit from MAD is definitely the way to go. It has really good instructions. Although if you just look at the website there, you can pretty much see how it should all go together.
I would( and will, going to be doing this soon myself, already got the "new" package from him, including the trunk mount) also run a ground cable to the trunk floor. and make sure you have one (or more) from the front sheet metal to the ground where the battery cable is, which probably should be the original location the old ground was, just for ease of doing. And one from the engine to the firewall also.

Oh, and use quality components and tools. Not the connectors and crimpers you get in a little kit for $10. Use the Kline tools he recommends. Wiring is easy when you take your time and use good stuff. And never use a smaller (numerically higher) guage wire than he recommends. You can always go bigger, but smaller can cause stuff like fires in some cases.
Wire gauges: the smaller the number, the larger the diameter of wire. Example a 20 gauge wire is smaller than an 18 gauge. Use stranded wire, not solid. And make sure you use automotive quality wire, especially in the engine compartment where there is a chance of oil or gas getting on them, plus that area is much hotter. And use the right size connectors for the wire you are using.

Only issue may be getting ahold of Mark at MAD. He still is the only one answering the phones. But be prepared to spend an hour or more on the phone when you do get him. He really knows his stuff, and likes to share. He told me some stuff that was new to me, and I've been playing with this stuff for a long long time.

Russ

Last edited by russosborne; 06-27-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Russ, I ordered the complete MAD Electrical kit. You are right about Mark. I had to keep calling to get through but he talked my leg off once I got him. He taylors the kit to your exact situation, and is a master at improving the electrical power of your car.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah. I had found his site years ago, and always wanted to use his stuff, but at the time I couldn't afford to. So this year I finally got a car worth doing and had the cash.
Definitely worth the money. I have been really itching to get to it on my Lemans, but I have been waiting until I was sure I wouldn't rush it.

Like I said above, wiring is easy, if you take your time. :-) When you rush is when you make stupid mistakes. Boy, have I learned that lesson a couple of times or so. :-)
There are several on here who know this stuff, so make sure to ask any questions that may come up. One reason I am doing this myself is because I want to KNOW that the wiring is in good shape, and what goes to what if anything does happen down the road.

I am doing a bit more than you, I am changing to a newer flat blade fuse box and moving it to the trunk along with the battery. Will have the relay there for the starter also. So I will be taking the dash wiring and extending it to the trunk. I am just too old and fat to be crawling under the dash to change a fuse anymore. :-(
Going to have one of his insulated terminal blocks in the trunk, and another on the firewall for the front half electrical.

The only thing I don't have yet that I really need is a remote switch for the battery. Kind of ran out of money to spend on the car for a bit. At least that is what my wife told me. :-)

Russ