Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Starter Heat Shield for LB Manifolds ?

Well, I got my long branch manifolds from RARE the other day and getting ready for the installation on my `70 455, but got to wondering. Am I going to need a heat shield for my starter/solenoid ? I don`t have a mini-starter, I have the OEM starter on the car. Did the `69`s with the long branches come from the factory with a heat shield ? If I need one, what works best ? Thanks in advance, Mark

Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Yes it would have come with a heat shield on the starter & yes it would be wise to have one or it will after a time cause you some concerns for hot start problems without the shield. It may not show up right away but it will, it's a Pontiac & one thing we all know from experience is that Pontiac starters don't like excessive heat on them.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 PM

I have the same manifolds on my 69 428 HO, since the originals are very pitted.
I installed 2 heat shields on the solenoid - one to block the heat from the block and the other to block the heat from the manifold. No issues with my starter so far, and I've done quite a bit of thermal cycling on the starter (made 15 passes on 9/13 at the Pure Stock Drags - lots of starting!)

One item - I bought a disconnecting wire harness from Summit so that if the starter does fail, just un-bolt the starter and UNPLUG - no need for wire disconection in a tight space. I also have the wiring routed in some of that high-temp sleeving material; I got that through Summit also.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Default What I did

I used a heat shield blanket that straps on the starter. Does a great job of keeping heat away.

Also be aware with Long Horns at least with originals it was impossible to change out the OEM starter without either lifting engine or taking off the header. I went to a high Torque starter for this reason which is much smaller that OEM