Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-29-2004, 04:11 AM

Have 67 GTO that is in the middle of a frame off (my first). Heres my next step and would really like to have some solid data from you the readers. When replying keep in mind I am trying to keep this Goat close to 100% or near as possible. I have read till I am blue in the face and I am more confused mow than I was.
1. I will be replacing and hopefully upgrading the all suspension. Who /where do I get kits that can be counted on to be correct, do what they say, and will not require me to re-enginee it on the fly? This includes springs ETC. I plan on using all orginal parts like control arms. I have read alot about springs and have concerns in this area especially
2. Brakes. Car is equiped with manual drums. I would like to upgrade to manual disc at least in the front. Car will be driven alot, no trailer fairy here and I want to stop as needed. How much will this affect the value of the car?
3. Last and not least, I plan on putting on Cragers (the one thing I just can't keep stock) what size will I be able to put in that I will never have to worry about hitting. I would like to get as much rubber on the road as possible
This GTO has been a two year labor of love and my setup here is limited as is my skillset. I greatly value your thoughts and experience. Dealing with what salesman say and catalogs is not what I want to trust and that shows to be true in many cases by reading the many posts in PY forums

Very Sincerly

Scott

Old 09-29-2004, 04:11 AM

Have 67 GTO that is in the middle of a frame off (my first). Heres my next step and would really like to have some solid data from you the readers. When replying keep in mind I am trying to keep this Goat close to 100% or near as possible. I have read till I am blue in the face and I am more confused mow than I was.
1. I will be replacing and hopefully upgrading the all suspension. Who /where do I get kits that can be counted on to be correct, do what they say, and will not require me to re-enginee it on the fly? This includes springs ETC. I plan on using all orginal parts like control arms. I have read alot about springs and have concerns in this area especially
2. Brakes. Car is equiped with manual drums. I would like to upgrade to manual disc at least in the front. Car will be driven alot, no trailer fairy here and I want to stop as needed. How much will this affect the value of the car?
3. Last and not least, I plan on putting on Cragers (the one thing I just can't keep stock) what size will I be able to put in that I will never have to worry about hitting. I would like to get as much rubber on the road as possible
This GTO has been a two year labor of love and my setup here is limited as is my skillset. I greatly value your thoughts and experience. Dealing with what salesman say and catalogs is not what I want to trust and that shows to be true in many cases by reading the many posts in PY forums

Very Sincerly

Scott

Old 09-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Suspended

no upgrades in the suspension components will be considered 100% correct. Buy Moog, TRW, etc. for the components to rebuild yours. The change to manual discs in 67 means 4 piston setup which is expensive, hard to maintain, and hard to find. the single piston later model is easier to buy and maintain. Put in the power booster if you do the change, you already have deviated from original with any disc upgrade, so why not do it right.

Old 09-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with engineer, go with a Power front disk setup. If you are going to drive the car, and want to keep it streetable there is no question. If you have a desire to return it to original later, you can keep the drums, for replacement, but don't do half a job and end up with a car that needs a lot of foot to stop in an emergency.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:42 AM

Thanks for the help and comments. I guess my last questions would be: Due to the cam being used I am told that vacuum generation will be a issue (sorry wanted a little more power) do the power brake kits require vacuum is so what are my options? Will I have to modify the firewall to install power brakes.
When I mentioned upgrading the suspension I meant from rubber tie rod ends, ball joints, ETC to poly graphite.
I do plan on boxing the few things I have changed so in the event the car is ever sold the orginal parts are available. I do want to be careful with this car as is a zero rust auto, straight as a arrow, and complete. I would hate to find out I made a change (non-reversable change that hurt the resale)that greatly affected its value if it is ever to be sold. The changes I would like to make are for 100% to make it a safer car with a more enjoyable ride. Again thanks so much for the responses they are great help

Scott

Old 09-30-2004, 06:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Scott-
Couple of thoughts here. New bushings are better than old bushings ... whether they are poly or rubber. Poly will handle better - rubber will ride better. Either is a good choice. If you go poly stay with black instead of fluorescent orange/red/etc.
Brakes - I once put a big cam in my automatic equipped car. Didn't work very well. Lot's of high end power, but not much out of the hole. As that's what a muscle car is for I changed it out. It only developed about 11" of vacuum and the power brakes were like manuals. It was very hard to stop. I changed to a RAIII style and it now pulls about 15" and the brakes work extremely well. If you are running below 13" you may need to mount an aux. vacuum tank/motor to feed the booster.