Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quality of the Aluminum Tri Powers?

Those of you that have one (or more) of the Aluminum Tri Power Intakes, how is the quality?

Any mods needed to fit properly?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Boost Engineer

The first Gen Aluminum Tri-Powers sold by PY were very good as far as castings and machining went. The BG units had some initial machining (or lack of machining) issues which were resolved by the third run.

I am not sure if the current units are made off shore or not. Most likely they are as the Typical Pontiac stuff is, Edelbrock being the exception as they have their own foundry in the USA.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned a few,my present one did not have the greatest port matchup.Tom

Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the reply.

I am interested in the stock type intakes, not the BGs, unless they make a stock type one.
I was assuming the BGs only work with Holley Type carbs, but please let me know if I'm wrong about that.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just sent mine to CVMS today for port work.I got it from The Parts Place.A lot of casting flashing and pitting,air pockets in the surface around temp sending fitting.Also by choke stove.Also looks as if the mold wasn't fitting together well in spots.The port opening sizes are all different.The smallest was 1.84.Should at least be gasket matched,even for a stock engine.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We've seen several here. All of them (so far) have been excellent. One even had my 12th birthday as a casting date!

We'll be looking close at Goatman's. It will be the first one we've seen not purchased through a Pontiac outlet (Ames and PY). Hopefully, it's the same as the others.

The aluminum version won't make more power "as is". It will, however, like aluminum heads, get you much more for your "porting dollar", as aluminum is much easier to cut than iron...(:-

Jim

Old 01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful of the right valley pan. Look at the timing cover if you use the aftermarket water neck out there too. They coulda made the water neck to fit the non dimpled cover as i have ground them down with plenty of meat in there.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
We've seen several here. All of them (so far) have been excellent. One even had my 12th birthday as a casting date!

We'll be looking close at Goatman's. It will be the first one we've seen not purchased through a Pontiac outlet (Ames and PY). Hopefully, it's the same as the others.

The aluminum version won't make more power "as is". It will, however, like aluminum heads, get you much more for your "porting dollar", as aluminum is much easier to cut than iron...(:-

Jim
I got it from The Parts Place because every place I checked was out of stock.I thought they supplied other vendors.
Anyway, you should get mine Wed. or Thur.along with the end carb bodies.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10-4!

Jim

Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one from the first batch and it is very nice casting (Jim's Birthday). Can't speak for later ones. Mine was modded by CVMS also, very pleased with it. -Jim

Old 01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How many companies are (or were) making repos of the 66 Tri Power Intake, and who are they?

I know Barry Grant is making a "six shooter intake" for Pontiacs, but I assumed it is much different than the original 66. I assume Tom V. meant Barry Grant when he referred to the BG intake is his reply.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
I have one from the first batch and it is very nice casting (Jim's Birthday). Can't speak for later ones. Mine was modded by CVMS also, very pleased with it. -Jim
Your comments about CVMS on these forums is the reason I sent mine for mods.