Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 AM

Default 72 Steering column question!

I have a column shift and have put a shifter on the floor and built a console for it, but i don't liike having the stock column shift steering coulmn.I recently found a 1969 GTO floor steering column and am wondering if it will be a direct swap in my 72 Lemans? If anyone could help you would be saving me a lot of time money and effort so please help! thanks to all!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The '69 GTO F/S column will bolt right in. You will need to swap the small rectangular ignition switchs. The '69 should have a green '69-70 style, while the '72 column shift had the '71-72 style.

If the '69 came from a manual trans GTO, you need to swap the '72's backup light switch onto the '69 column. Last, you'll prob want to swap the '72 lock cylinder into the '69 column. Lock cyl job takes a little time, if not aquainted with removing column lock cylinders, easiast is to find a boneyard or local vendor who disassembles & assembles columns. Want to do it yourself, a Rimac column tool, a small pick & basic hand tools are main tools needed to disassemble & reassemble the upper column.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Default THANK YOU!!

Thanks so much my friend, that is a wealth of knowledge that will same me tons of time and money! So I just need to swap the nuetral safety switch (ignition switch) from my 72 column and rewire it onto the 69 column? that should be pretty easy (ya we'll see) and then swap the tumbler so I can use my keys ya? Thanks again and if anyone else has any input I would love to hear it! Thanks again to all you pull my butt out of the fire yet once again!