Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM

I have a 75 firebird with standard gages. I found a 77 trans am parts car and removed the ralley gage package. What are the issues with installing the ralley gages into the 75? Will the wire harness work? Are the wires in the harness for the tach and the seperate (to the right) gage package? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 PM

I have a 75 firebird with standard gages. I found a 77 trans am parts car and removed the ralley gage package. What are the issues with installing the ralley gages into the 75? Will the wire harness work? Are the wires in the harness for the tach and the seperate (to the right) gage package? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will need to move around some (more like ALL) wires in the cluster harness plug. You will need a schematic for this, and a Haynes manual has the 77 schematic. You will have to pop the connector pins & wires out of the plastic plug one at a time to relocate them to the right place. You'll need a jeweler's screwdriver for that. In addition, you will need to wire up the fuel/volts cluster, tapping into the fuel signal line (1 of 2 tan wires) and the + 12v (pink).

You will also need to transplant the oil pressure and temp sending units from the T/A, or else buy new ones.

The tach harness is independent from the instrument cluster harness.

There is a dark green wire that goes to the ignition plug under the column. This goes from the temp light to the ignition switch ground contact. Pull this wire from the plug and tape it off unless you want your temp gauge to peg every time you turn the key to start it.

The ground wire going into the instrument cluster plug must be separated from other grounds and routed to its own separate ground. If you don't, there will be electrical "cross-talk" between other circuits. This results in oil press & temp readings to go whacko when you use turn signals, lighter, wipers, etc.

I never investigated the option since I didn't have a full donor car, but I'd be curious if you could transplant the entire dash harness out of the 77 instead of converting the 75 non-gauge harness. Food for thought...

Have fun, and make sure you have your reading glasses prescription up to date so that you can chase all of those little lines in the schematic!