THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shipping car to Europe

I am looking in the near future to take a long vacation in Europe - perhaps start in Spain and wander up, or start in Hamburg/Rotterdam and go south. Thought it would be cool to send the Lemans or TA and Air BnB it. Any experiences or potential pitfalls I should look for?

Old 02-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful in the big cities; roads tend to be narrower. Stay out of southern Italy; crazy drivers.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Be careful in the big cities; roads tend to be narrower. Stay out of southern Italy; crazy drivers.
Aviano said something to that effect about the lower end of the boot.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM

All of Italy consists of crazy drivers. I drove my old Z4M around the Colosseum at 2 am just to do it and avoid traffic. It was still an experience. Set aside a cool grand plus for gas. Also, make sure you have a reflective triangle/1st aid kit with a date code/2x reflective vests. Not sure if cars that are in country for a limited time need them, but it may be a requirement.

If you haven't been to Europe before as a driver, definitely get on-line and get familiar with the signs. That would be extremely helpful, especially the right of ways. Either way, sounds like a great trip!

Old 02-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like a bad idea in general.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you should have a better convo with bulletproof..he's stationed over there...get his contact info..i think hes back in the states for a short time...he'd be the guy id talk to..he's been there long enough to really know whats going on

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
All of Italy consists of crazy drivers.

If you haven't been to Europe before as a driver, definitely get on-line and get familiar with the signs. That would be extremely helpful, especially the right of ways. Either way, sounds like a great trip!
Yes, all of Italy. I saw people bump each other in traffic and both just kept on going. Was driving an RV, put my signal on then started to brake and the driver behind crossed the double yellow to pass just as I started to make the left turn. Luckily he only took the mirror off.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Sounds like a bad idea in general.
Totally agree. Too much risk especially if you value your car.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Budget lots of money for gas, and think about insurance.

My driving in Italy story: About 10 years ago, my parents went to Italy, and my dad rented a car. The car spent a week in a parking lot outside Venice. During that week, the car managed to get 3 parking tickets in Rome.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:16 PM

If it was me, I'd ship to Bremerhaven (port city), head east to Hamburg, then Berlin, and then to Munich (and definitely stop at the car museums there). After Munich, head into the Alps and heads towards Innsbruck. At that point, you can decide whether to head south in to Italy, sw into Switzerland/France and then back north to a port.

I like that route mainly because it's autobahn heavy and then the Alps. You can't miss out on that ride. Italy isn't the worst driving in the world and I'm sure you would be fine, but compared to Germany/France/Austria, it can be quite hectic. I would love to get back there in my Tempest. It would be a blast. But you are definitely going to put a dent in your wallet for gas.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in Albuquerque, so crime in Europe does not really bother me all that much... and you only live once.

That said, I had no plans to hit Italy, more like Holland, Deutschland, France and Spain. First bid came in; 2,200 USD to ship via enclosed transport and container to Rotterdam from ABQ. RO-RO's are a bit less but you cannot load up trunk or interior.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:33 AM
Senior Chief

A couple things come to mind; Fuel.. approx 7.8 dollars per gallon currently. NL certain towns (like Rotterdam) have restrictions around cars of a certain age not being allowed to enter them. German towns the same thing and you need an environmental sticker (umwelt plakette).
Look up yourroute through Viamichelin.com and it will give you the adittional tol costs for the routes (France, Spain, Austria) and to go i to Switzerland you need to buy a roadtax sticker before trying to enter the country (and they really check for this at the borders).
Last thing in case you are looking for more shipping options, these people ship cars to NL regularly usa2ned.com

Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some countries have special requirements for what you must carry in your vehicle, such as safety signs, vests, medical kit, etc. I think it's France that requires you to carry a breath analyzer kit. As said above, some of the big cities will not allow you to drive into, or even through them without a special emissions sticker. There may be an exemption for classics (with restrictions), but you'll need to verify.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretread View Post
Italy isn't the worst driving in the world and I'm sure you would be fine, but compared to Germany/France/Austria, it can be quite hectic.
You weren't near Paris then lol. I rented a car and drove around Paris for a week. I can tell you it is the most intense driving I've ever done.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I live in Albuquerque, so crime in Europe does not really bother me all that much... and you only live once.

That said, I had no plans to hit Italy, more like Holland, Deutschland, France and Spain. First bid came in; 2,200 USD to ship via enclosed transport and container to Rotterdam from ABQ. RO-RO's are a bit less but you cannot load up trunk or interior.
I've driven in close to 40 different countries. Southern Italy (south of Rome - Naples, etc) is about the worst. Up there with Middle East and Africa. Netherlands is quite tame and orderly. Germany, too, but stay out of the fast lane in the Autobahn unless you're really hauling @$$. No experience driving in France, but southern Spain was quite nice.

I've got to ship a '72 Alfa Romeo GTV back to the states in a few months; think I'm going to stuff it in a 10' x 20' shipping crate, even though it's a bit more expensive.

Good luck and send details.

Scott

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I've looked into this myself.

Some countries may demand you hold a Carnet de passages en douanes which essentially is a guarantee you will not sell or dispose of the vehicle while it is in a foreign country.

I don't think you have to put any actual money up in advance but you have to be able to show you have sufficient available funds to pay out the taxes & duties which may apply if you were to "forget" to take the car out of the country. It's stamped into your passport at the time of entry but it has to be arranged in advance.

From what I understand, the Carnet is negated once you leave the country. Your passport is stamped and you move onto the next place.

In my case, I have a dream about shipping my '66 Grand Prix to New Zealand for about 4 months. Drive around in my own time, LOTS of car related events in NZ, camp and sightsee and return home. I know I have to lodge a Carnet in NZ to do this. Might happen one day

Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Senior Chief

Sounds like a PITA

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This woman gave me a shipping quote of $675 from Ft Lauderdale to either Rotterdam, or Hamburg- Her company is Get Logistics inc. Her name is Susanne Getten. (954) 536-1471
Car travels in shipping container. I saw 15-20 cars amassed there to be shipped.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Like Bulletproof said stay out of the left lane. Sounds like driving in Europe hasn't changed much. Paris can be hectic. Bremerhaven was our port back in the day. Europe is a great place to visit. I love traveling the USA but Europe is so rich in history you have to go there at least once. For me Alaska this year.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Will they let you drive with US plates on the car, or would you have to get a special tag from the country you enter from where the ship docks? Insurance must be hell too.

It's bad enough driving in US cities or Canada let alone going to Europe. You couldn't pay me to take my GTO over there and drive it. I'd be afraid it would disappear on some dark and dreary night. Just to be safe get a LoJack installed in it Scarebird.

Edit:
Check out the European highways in this link Scarebird. You'll be near some of them.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/trip...d=iehp#image=2

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 02-06-2018 at 11:51 AM.