Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT
Thumbs up Need help with a Ariens Snow Blower

I haven't used it in a few years. It has a new battery, new belt, I changed all the hoses, rebuilt the carb, dropped the gas tank, flushed it out and cleaned all the contacts.
The primer push button doesn't seem to do anything. I bought a new rubber button today thinking that was the problem. It is hooked up to the carb. I don't understand how that get's fuel to the carb. It has an electric push button start which kicks over very strong. I can start it right away if I pour fuel into the primer tube which goes to the carb. It will start right away then die. I also checked the spark plug, it looks clean but it does not get any spark. Not sure if that is another problem or THE problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The model number is: 932023
It has a 4HP Tecumseh motor

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to jtheisen

Any chance you over looked the inline fuel shut off valve?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done that

George

Old 08-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it starts when you pour gas down the carb then it isn't an ignition problem. It sounds to me like you missed a clogged jet when you rebuilt the carb maybe. If the primer bulb doesn't work then there might be a problem with the suction hose? Is the hose cracked or the clamp loose on it? Does this snow blower have one of the small diaphragm fuel pumps on it? If it does then maybe the diaphragm has a hole in it? These are a few things to look at.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Chief

Jims right. No ignition problems.

I have had this problem and it's usually the jet in the float bowl. Could also be a stuck float or, if there's a needle screw in the bottom of the float bowl, that could be turned in too far. Either way, should be an easy fix.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The small hose for the primer did not have a clamp on either end. I assumed that was the way it is supposed to be. I will clamp it tomorrow and try that.
I bought a new spark plug today and that was not it. It does not get any spark though when I pull the plug boot off and put a screw driver next to it. Not sure if that is the proper way to check for spark like you would a car..
I did not notice the inline fuel shut off valve, it was open. Took it off blew it out with my compressor, so it is clear.
I am not sure where to look for a fuel pump on it. I don't think it has one as I don't recall seeing anything else, where would I look and what does it look like?
It does have a needle screw in the bottom. I remember it being tightened in all the way. Possibly the problem?
I just don't understand the purpose of the rubber primer. It has a little breather hole in the middle and it is hooked up to the carb. My weed wacker has a rubber primer with no hole in it which you can see it filling up with fuel as you prime it. I thought that was the way they are supposed to work.
Either way, I am on it and will try everything you guys mentioned tomorrow.
Thanks to all

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would say if there is a hole in the middle of the primer ball you might have found the problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I thought it was too, but I bought a new one and was told they are supposed to have a breather, go figure..

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you take the float bowl down down (if there is one) was there gas in the float bowl? If not the needle and seat are stuck. Smack the side of the carb with a wooden block, but not hard enough to break anything and see if gas starts flowing. If there is gas in the float bowl, then you have a jet blocked up. Remove the carb and clean the jets out with a welding tip cleaner. Start with a small one and work your way up until it doesn't fit in the carb anymore. It's hard for me to troubleshoot over the computer. I'm a hands on kind of guy.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM

I believe that type of primer setup only shoots air into the float bowl which forces the fuel up thru the main jet. Are you getting gas where the fuel hose connects to the carb?

Old 08-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is one hose which goes straight from the gas tank to the carb.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM

back out the needle screw(main jet) that is all the way in on the bottom of the bowl about 3/4-1 turn from seat and see if that works...

Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM me and Ill give you the 888 # for Ariens
Ive found they bend over backwards to help.
Ive even had them send me free parts for my 2 Ariens products
one is a 16 HP garden tractor thats 30 yrs old, the other a Zero turn mower.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:09 PM

Note that there were two fuel bowl designs on the 8hp engines that I know of. I ended up rebuilding my carb myself since the 100 bucks they wanted for the rebuilt/new one through the dealer seemed a bit much.

It comes with a bunch of little brass or copper welch plugs to let you remove the old ones to clean out all the little nooks and crannies.

I also had a problem with the fuel lines loosening around the fittings. Had a problem once with the fuel valve sticking closed. There is a strainer somewhere too for that.

The primer problem is likely the hose going to the carb from the primer and it is a bit of a pita to change. With the electric start I don't think they even recommend priming.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest
Post AHH the Tecumseh carb questions!!!

Well YVEYANT, to answer your main question the Tecumseh carb has many issues. Yours is that the carb is most likely GUMMED up. Not allowing the float inside to drop. Therefore there is no gas getting into the carb. This is the opposite of the other problem associated with this carb. Going into the garage and seeing gas on the floor, because the nipple will not seal and it floods. I had this problem awhile ago. There is a link below, as some other guys have had this problem and made a nice fix-it page. If you have any questions as to ho to do this, please dont hesitate to PM me. I can give you my phone number and go over this. The linkage is a PITA!!!!!!.

Dave

http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fixit/...arb/tcarb.html

The Burb Files
Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I took the carb apart yesterday and found that the needle is sticking. I think I have to replace the small white rubber O-ring.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rebuid kit arrived yesterday from Tecumseh. I took the carb apart, rebuilt it completely. I figured I had a good sign of progress when I pressed the primer button and saw gas in the carb for the first time. When I tried to start it, gas started spraying out of the muffler in small amounts but enough to tell me something was not right. It will not start obviously as I guess it is flooding? I tried messing with the adjustments with no luck. I am wondering if I did not put the linkage back right as it has a few combinations to go with or maybe something else is not right. I am thinking I just don't have the adjustments right. I replaced the spark plug and tried to get spark but I get nothing.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It may be flooded. Try turning it over several revolutions with the plug out. Then install a fresh plug, and see if that helps.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I should be rebuilding mine today or tomorrow. I will take a video/picture to send top you. Mine right now is currently flooding as well.

The Burb Files
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it's spraying gas out the exhaust either the needle and seat are not seating or the float is adjusted too high. If you didn't bend the tang on the float when you reinstalled it, then the needle valve might have some trash in it. First thing to try it so use a pair of vise grips and clamp the fuel line shut and start the engine. Let the carb run out of gas. This will let the float hang all the way down and when you open the vise grips the initial onrush of fuel might get the piece of trash out of the needle valve. Now if that small piece of trash does not clog a jet you'll be fine. Obviuously the best thing to do is take the float bowl off and work the float up and down to make sure gas comes in when the float is down and stops when the float is up. This is easy if you can get the bowl off without removing the carb. Remember to have the vise grips handy so that you can stop the flow of fuel when you are removing and replacing the fuel bowl.