Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-29-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best car cover

Cars coming back soon. I need a car cover that will protect it inside the garage from dust and anything else like if a cat walks on it. I will have the car cover on it but will also have it covered in comforters. I need the absolute best for indoor storage. Car will not be stored outside EVER. Also it won’t have glass in it a few months so again best protection.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, no cats allowed in the garage, EVER.

California car covers are very nice.

https://www.calcarcover.com/

Old 08-29-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a couple California Car Covers too, and was very satisfied with them.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Cars coming back soon. I need a car cover that will protect it inside the garage from dust and anything else like if a cat walks on it. I will have the car cover on it but will also have it covered in comforters. I need the absolute best for indoor storage. Car will not be stored outside EVER. Also it won’t have glass in it a few months so again best protection.
Did you end up going with Maaco ?

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BearGFR who is a member here but mostly on the GTO Forum. He has an expensive show quality paint job on his GTO. He talked about the special car cover he got for it so I asked him about it. He got it from CoverCraft and recommended them. I went ahead and ordered one from Cover Craft for my GTO and have been very pleased with it. I think you'll find their cover will measure up to your standard.

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/vehicle-covers

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 08-29-2021, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Did you end up going with Maaco ?
Ha I wish. Follow my build thread

Old 08-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ha I wish. Follow my build thread
How do you find that ?

Old 08-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
How do you find that ?
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=814778

Old 08-29-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Sorry, no cats allowed in the garage, EVER.

California car covers are very nice.

https://www.calcarcover.com/
I am building a separate garage for my car and shop after this project is over but for the time being it will stay in my house garage which is where the cat food and litter box is. It will stay covered in whatever I buy plus several comforters over it

Old 08-29-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a cat. The cat, her food and her litter box is in the house.

I would never allow a cat the opportunity to climb on any car - daily driver, beater or one of my toy cars.

What happens if you pull the '64 into your garage and the cat jumps up on the car before you cover it? Too late to cover it then...

Old 08-29-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had three from California Car Covers. Two leave lint on when removed, but very soft. One was more of a weather resistant and was thin and left no lint. I then decided to try CoverAnything. It's a weather resistant heavier cover than the CCC I had. Very reasonable too. It's a semi custom fit for my 72 Lemans and called their weatherfit Gold for $130. It's a bit stiff, but may loosen up some as I roll it on and off over time. So far I like it.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Depending what or how long your gonna store it, i use this every winter, you put it in perfect, it comes out perfect, Car jacket is the name. would be a pita ass for eveyday use, but if you need it stored for a few week or over the winter. cant go wrong.

Even for everyday use.........wouldnt be that big of a deal, like a sleeping bag, you drive in and zipper it up..........takes about 3-4 minutes to do if you have enough room.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car jacket pics (1).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	572136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car jacket pics (3).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	572137  

Old 08-29-2021, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can control the cats access. I just lock them out when I’m working. As far as boxes in the house just don’t have a convenient place. Nobody parks in our garage daily or otherwise. Once my building is built it will just have freezers and generator etc in it

Old 08-29-2021, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And here I thought that a garage was intended to put a car in....

Silly me. I've been doing it wrong for decades.

Freezers in the garage? How many? Hope your garage is insulated and climate controlled so that the freezers can operate efficiently. They operate best when the ambient temps are between 50 - 80 degrees.

I can see your electric meter spinning from here when it's 95 degrees (or hotter) and humid outside with a freezer running in a non climate controlled garage.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would talk to your painter and see how long it should sit before putting cover on it.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, definitely let it outgas for at least a few months. It's been a while (almost 2 years) since my car was painted, and on some hot days, I still get a slight whiff of paint when I open the door to go in garage.

Don't put anything on the car other than a cover, nothing on top of the cover. They need to breathe, and added weight can also cause chaffing.

If you're worried about people walking along side of it and brushing against it, that's not a problem. If you're worried about large or heavy objects being banged up against it or dropped on it, then really, nothing is going to help with that and you need to park it somewhere else.

I know it can be nerve-racking with new paint jobs, but you're going to drive it, and that's a higher risk of damage than being parked in your garage. You will get over the new-paint-job-tension in time.

You picked a factory color, have your paint guy give you a touch up bottle, or go buy one off the shelf. You still have to assemble it, and there's a very high probability that you're going to get a scratch/chip or two. Just the way it is, don't let it run your life, or you will never be able to enjoy the car.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just dont want the cats walking on it if they are so inclined. I did buy a 7 layer indoor only cover so I think that will be sufficient. The car is coming back assembled except glass and upholstery so thats one thing I dont have to worry about. As far as anything on it, I didnt know that. I will be using comforters as bump guards on the firewall and fenders when I do the engine install but I will leave them off if thats whats best after the install.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cats walking on the cover is fine, that will be enough protection.

Comforters when installing the engine is fine too, I thought you were thinking of putting the comforters on top of the cover.

Chaffing is a concern though, more so outside in windy conditions, but still a concern.

Try not to lose your cool on the first scratch/chip, it's bound to happen, and can be fairly easily fixed.

Installing an engine over new paint is stressful, to say the least. Even interior work and glass work you run the risk of scratches/chips. It's not just 'glass', you are building out the doors too.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	21D9F2CE-51F1-455F-AA95-D591A8328D6C.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	572176

Nevah trust a barefoot bodyman……..lol

Old 08-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I called California Car Cover for my indoor storage needs and they recommended the 'Plushweave' model. Looks good/soft...and should suit my needs when I get the car back.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400