Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Remember the BG 66 Style Tri-Power Intake?

Here are some pics of one i put together some years ago:

A) It took me 3 tries to get a good Pontiac 6-Shooter out of the BG people but BG-TECH who used to post on the PY Board occasionally, really helped me out with eventually getting a good one. This one has been Ported by Dave Wilcox.

B) The Carbs are not the Barry Grant stuff. They are Competition Series Edelbrock/Holley Mechanical Secondary race carbs, similar to the Race carbs that were supposed to be installed on the Ford 366 NASCAR engines. The carbs were disallowed therefore Edelbrock bought the rights from Holley to sell the carbs to the MOPAR & CHEBBY racers.

3) The Air Cleaner is a Ford 406 Tri-Power type unit (uses Ford Oval Air Cleaner) BUT the Base is machined for a Pontiac Carb spacing.

4) The Linkage I made from Pontiac Pieces for the Normal 65-66 Mechanical Linkage Tri-Powers.

Tom V.

So what "toys" have you come up with? I know Dick B has done the 64 Linkage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BG 6 PACK w SPECIAL CARBS-1.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	432076   Click image for larger version

Name:	BG 6 PACK w SPECIAL CARBS-3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	432077   Click image for larger version

Name:	BG 6 PACK w SPECIAL CARBS-4.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	432078   Click image for larger version

Name:	BG 6 PACK w SPECIAL CARBS-5.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	432079   Click image for larger version

Name:	BG 6 PACK w SPECIAL CARBS-6.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	432080  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that manifold stock height? It appears a little higher than stock.

I believe it was Dave Wilcox that has talked about producing a '66 aluminum manifold, but higher than stock. Do you know anything about that?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Most of it is an optical illusion.
I have one of the first run PY Aluminum Tri-Power intakes and when I compared the two intakes they are very close on the actual Air Horn heights.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,
If one wanted to retrofit 3 Holley's to a 65 Tripower, where could they be purchased?? What CFM's?
I know it would take lots of fabrication, just what would function properly on a warmed over 421?
Thanks

Old 09-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
Tom,
If one wanted to retrofit 3 Holley's to a 65 Tripower, where could they be purchased?? What CFM's?
I know it would take lots of fabrication, just what would function properly on a warmed over 421?
Thanks
PM to you Bill

Tom V.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Is that manifold stock height? It appears a little higher than stock.

I believe it was Dave Wilcox that has talked about producing a '66 aluminum manifold, but higher than stock. Do you know anything about that?
Dave Wilcox wanted to produce a 66 tripower that was set up like a OFFY intake in that you did not have two 4 cylinder manifold pairs firing 180 degrees off from each other. It would have been a 360 type manifold and more of a "squashed flat" Tunnel ram Tri-Power deal.

Tom V.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://tmpcarbs.blogspot.com/p/409-h...x4-set-up.html

Old 11-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

[QUOTE=Tom Vaught;5598361]Here are some pics of one i put together some years ago:

A) It took me 3 tries to get a good Pontiac 6-Shooter out of the BG people but BG-TECH who used to post on the PY Board occasionally, really helped me out with eventually getting a good one.

Yeah...same fellows that sent all my posts to Jeg's when I hammered them on their continued production of carbs with aluminum shavings in the bowls a full year after I called them to address the issue. Tried to get me fired but only got three days off since I wasn't lying about anything. Real sweethearts...those guys!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:28 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
... Dave Wilcox wanted to produce a 66 tripower that was set up like a OFFY intake in that you did not have two 4 cylinder manifold pairs firing 180 degrees off from each other. It would have been a 360 type manifold and more of a "squashed flat" Tunnel ram Tri-Power deal...
Would you call that a single-plane manifold? I've often wondered about the potential of a single-plane Tri-Power for Pontiacs. I'm not aware of such a manifold (other than ancient U-fab log manifolds)l ever being made?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Boost Engineer

All of the OFFY Tri-Power Intakes function like a single plane, Jack, because of the large windows cast into the "divider walls" of the intake. They are like the 'U-fab log manifolds" with the hose connections as far as function but balance better as there is not hose wall friction to delay the cross-flow of the mixture.

Dave's intake would elininate the center divider/windows too. More like a mini plenum under all of the carbs.

Tom V.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:48 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Any real-world info on the performance of a Pontiac with single-plane Tri-Power?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, I have been trying to find a BG six shooter for years now. Do you know anyone that has one they are wanting to sell?
Mike

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Boost Engineer

Mike, I know a very few were sold to Pontiac Guys.

I bought a first run 6 shooter at Norwalk (laying on the ground) for about 1/4th of the price BG wanted and got screwed on that deal.
Basically 1st run and 2nd run stuff had mistakes where you could not bolt the thing up without a lot of rework.

I worked with a PY Member "BG" who worked in BG sales and eventually got a proper intake out of him.
Wilcox ported it for me.

So there ARE Pontiac 6 shooter intakes out there BUT assume that you will need a lot of welding on the thing if you buy one, Mike.
I have no sources/contacts for the manifold after BG was bought by Holley. Should have bought a bunch of BG stuff I did not buy.
If I come across a person selling one I will give you a shout, Mike.

Tom V.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 PM

theres a barry grant 6 shooter on the Indianapolis craigslist, ad dated 1/28,says he's fed up with it askin 1200

Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks, Hope Mike can find the seller and discuss purchase/inspection with him.

Main issue on most of the set-ups was the 275 cfm (SB-CHEBBY) carbs they installed on the intake. 500 cfm 4412 carbs (350 cfm 4 bbl rating) work really well.

Tom V.