The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

How many of you painted your car the original color?and if not ,what was original,and what is it now?

370 Posts and holding...
Old 07-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

How many of you painted your car the original color?and if not ,what was original,and what is it now?

370 Posts and holding...
Old 07-10-2004, 08:07 PM

I am repainting a 66 gto the original fontaine blue. Unless it is a color that really bums you out, I say stay with the origianl. If the car is not matching to begin with go with what you like.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:15 PM

I had my '64 resprayed in the original Grenadier Red color last November. But I never gave a thought to changing the color. Why mess with a red GTO convertible?

Dick

Old 07-11-2004, 06:50 AM

'65 GTO, was Montaro red, changed to Deep Amythist (dark bluish purle color). I like the new color much more, everybody seems to like a red car, never understood that myself.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:46 AM

My 65 GTO was originally montero red and I am doing a complete frame-off restoration and orignal paint was pretty good, but I am having it painted the original color montero red, but everyone has there own thoughts, I do not know why you would want it different then the original color. I look at some of the restorations and am wondering why they are not putting on the pinstripe like originally done.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

My '68 is Springmist Green ,and it is staying Springmist Green ,the reason why I asked is the '65 convertable I had was painted Montero Red ,the original color was Fontaine Blue ,this erked the heck out of me ,I recently attended a meet where a few of the guy's had their car's painted other than original (all of the car's were RED) I just wondered if people stuck to original or if some opted for other than stock color's..."Make the common rare and the rare become common"

370 Posts and holding...
Old 07-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When looking at a car there are three things I consider as far as paint color goes. In order from most desirable to least:

1) original color
2) not original color, but a color available that year
3) aftermarket color

However, there is a grey area for me. I've been considering a repaint of my Verdoro Green '68 to another color offered in '68. The main reason I'm tempted is that it seems like there are quite a few Verdoro Green '68-'69 GTOs and the color is one of those love it or hate it shades. I personally like it, but after 3 Verdoro Green cars and 13 years with this one I might be ready for a change.

What's everyone's opinion on switching from a really common color to a more unusual color offered the same year? Would choosing another green (like Springmist) instead of a completely different color have less of an impact on the value?

My car isn't 100% original but it does have the original engine and it appears stock. I probably wouldn't be laboring over the decision if it didn't have the original engine or was heavily modified.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 07-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been thinking this over for about 2 years. I am doing a frame off restoration on a 68 GTO convertible. The car was originally April gold with a black inteior & top. When I bought it, it was painted 69 carosel red. I am not a big fan of april gold, So I am considering one of the blues offered in 68. My car will never be for sale, at least not in this era of my life, so I am not concerned with original color, but do want an 68 color to keep it looking correct. My last thought was to buy a pint of each color I think I like, Paint some test panels, & then decide.

68ragtop

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 07-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I keep swinging back and forth between an original color on my '70 'vert (Gold) or a sexy new car color that has gobs of pearl.

I'm going to go with the original gold color. I think that factory correct colors look "right" for the old cars.

If there is going to be some customizing, other than the drivetrain, then you would want a snazzier color.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 71 GTO has been painted the original Canyon Copper the two times I've painted it in the 18 yrs I've owned it. If I ever put anything on it other than the CC it'd have to be a color that is just about a perfect match, Ambermist Pearl used on 2000-2001 Dodge Dakota p-u. You don't see many 71's as it is and the Canyon Copper is not seen very often and I have grown fond of that color, now if people would quit saying it's brown, orange, or gold it would be alright. I'm in the slow process of hand sanding the car with intentions of going into it this winter and going through it for hopefully the final time as when done the daily driver status will no longer exist.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been giving this very paint topic a lot of thought lately. My car is now montreau blue. It`s original colour was silver glaze. From owning silver cars before and seeing how it oxidises quickly i`m leary to paint the 67 silver glaze even though it will be BC/CC.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 07-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Senior Chief

My 68 was Solar Red from the factory. I painted it 68 Maroon. I like the color better and so do most people I come in contact with. I'm restoring a 67 Convertable now. It was Tyrol Blue with a white top and Black interior. I'm keeping the original colors for the exterior and top but I'm putting Parchment interior.
Many people belive that changing the colors hurts the value but I have not seen this. I have seen many color change cars sell faster and for more money than original color cars.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to EBJudge

A lot of cars in less desireable colors get painted red (either one from the same year or just one handy) to sell. It's called 'Resale Red' for a reason.
My Judge is the original color and when it gets repainted it will remain it's original color. But then, I like the Stealth quailities of Expresso Brown and the car is all original.
And, I'm not likely to ever be parking next to another one just like mine.
On the other hand, if I was painting a car that was non-original, I would seriously consider painting it in a non-original color. It just wouldn't be Red, maybe a nice blue, like Liberty Blue or Nocturne Blue or Nightwatch Blue or one of the newer colors like Ocean. It would depend on what I wanted for a 'Look At Me!' factor, the more it was modified, the farther from the original color I would go.
My wife and I keep talking about a '57 Safari with a 428 or 455 done in White Diamond Pearlcoat with Candy Apple Red (or maybe some kind of Dark Pearl Red) spears and a leather interior to match. Not great leaps from an original color choice, (Sheffield Gray/Tartan Red or Kenya Ivory/Cordova Red Poly) but far enough to say 'Hey, Look at me. I'm not your average Safari' without shouting it.
IMO, if it's original, keep it original, if it's not, paint it what you like.

'69 Expresso Brown/Gold RAIII Judge HT
'86 Carmine & Black/Red 1.8L NA Sunbird GT Convert.
'03 Montana EXT

Pontiac 1926-2010?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:56 AM

Mine was born castillain bronze and the repaint is castillain bronze. Many have said it will sell better ( if I wanted to sell) if it was a red, blue, yellow, etc. Fast car looking colors.
I like the fact that it is different. Many average John Q Public passerby’s like the color. I think they have all seen enough Red.
Mine is not totally original, but very close, so the originality of the paint and interior combination is a plus, for me anyway.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can never see enough red (and chrome) muscle cars.

Just paint your car the color YOU like and not what anybody else thinks it should be painted.

Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

My 67 is Reg Red, but I'm thinking of going with a more modern, eye-catching red.

My 68 will keep its original Verdero Green/April Gold paint scheme, mostly because the car is so original, but also because I've yet to see another!

My brother has an original Mayfair Maize 68 that he needs to paint for resale, but hasnt yet decided if he can stick with that stock color. Who buys a Mayfair Maize hotrod? Only a select few, intstead of the masses.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

My '67 was originally Linden Green w black top and interior. It's now white (professionally done in the 80's). I'm doing a complete body-off (not $how, but nice Sunday driver) and plan on going Plum Mist with parchment inside and on top.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Man, its YOUR car. Paint it whatever YOU like. Your the one who has to be happy with it. Of course, if its not red it should be.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '67 was originally Silver Glaze. It was already repainted Regimental Red when I bought it. Never liked the '67 silver anyways. Regimental works for me. I think if I ever wanted to go Concourse with it, I'd rather change the data plate from P to R than paint it Silver Glaze.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com