Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2020, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Best source for a rebuilt Quadrajet?

This car is special to me my dad & I drove 5 hours to purchase this car as a father son project in the late 80s. I bought it off of my dad in 05 so I have a lot of good memories with this car. It is a 1979 Trans Am the car has a 5 speed manual (.67 OD)factory 3:42 rear gears. The engine is a 455 4 bolt steel main caps, 670 heads ported by butler (255cfm intake)stainless steel, valves, Harland/sharp roller rockers , heat risers blocked off.
Ross custom pistons to give 10.5 compression. This engine was built in the 90s before the flood of aftermarket rods, then the only choice was super duty rods or crower, it has SD rods, the cam is a crane hydraulic cam around 470s lift. The intake is a GM ram air IV .My dad & I had this engine dynoed it made 430 horse power 550 ft. Lbs. I have taken it to the strip it ran 12.10s

Here is my dilemma it’s not fun to drive with the Holley double pump carb, it has no choke & it is very cold blooded. I want to go back to using a quadrajet with some type of electric choke. I don’t have any cores to have built I want to buy one that I can just bolt on my intake is made for a quadrajet , any good sources? I was looking at a company Quadra Jet Power does anybody have any experiences with them?or can point me in the right direction? I want to drive this car & enjoy it a little bit , I am going to loose the headers & go with SD cast exhaust manifolds as well.I want to drive this car this summer, Thanks , Mark