Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2022, 05:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When should the GEN light be on?

I've got most of my 68 GTO electrical system hooked up, car starts with key, everything works ... except I'm not ever getting a GEN light on ... under what circumstances should I see it lit?

Right now in the ACC position, no GEN light, in the "Start" position, right before the point the starter engages I get the OIL light and TEMP light on, but no GEN light. With key in just the IGN position I get only OIL light. Bulb is good, tested it. Regulator is OEM original, looked clean and in good working order inside ... but who knows. Printed circuit is new. Engine harness is new, dash harness is original but in great shape. Ignition switch is aftermarket ... with the OEM ignition switch I was getting a flicker out of it when I switched between IGN and ACC, not seeing that now.

I assumed all warning lights should come on when the switch is just past IGN but not starting the engine yet.

I have not tested the charging system yet. Has an original Alternator with new diodes I put in.

Also .. is there any way to test the GEN light, engine off, to attempt to make sure at least the wiring/PCB are good and bypassing other potential problems like Regulator or Ignition switch?

Thanks

Last edited by dataway; 07-05-2022 at 05:40 AM.