Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had a CSI water pump on my 474 for about 4 years now and it has worked perfectly. Sunday, however, while in staging, I watched the temperature gauge(s) go from 155 to 210 in about 15 seconds. Fortunately, I just happened to be staring at the gauges at the time. The water pump had stopped!
By pulling on the wires that go into the bottom of the pump off to the side, the pump would resart and continue to run. A little help from the "racers friend" (duct tape) and I was able to finish out the day without any more problems.
Last night I took the pump motor apart and found a small amount of corrosion on the push-on terminals. After cleaning and reseating, the pump worked fine, but just to be sure, I soldered all the wires on the 5 or 6 push-on connectors inside the pump.
There was no corrosion inside the pump, as if it had been exposed to any dampness, only corrosion on the terminals...... SO, if you've got a CSI pump thats a few years old, you might want to check/solder these wires on as preventative maintenance item. -- Bill --

GT37 3600lbs...as featured on the cover of Pontiac Enthusiast Jan/Feb 2002 DOT/mufflers-all motor
6.49 @ 108
10.14 @ 133

10.09 @ 133
Old 05-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had a CSI water pump on my 474 for about 4 years now and it has worked perfectly. Sunday, however, while in staging, I watched the temperature gauge(s) go from 155 to 210 in about 15 seconds. Fortunately, I just happened to be staring at the gauges at the time. The water pump had stopped!
By pulling on the wires that go into the bottom of the pump off to the side, the pump would resart and continue to run. A little help from the "racers friend" (duct tape) and I was able to finish out the day without any more problems.
Last night I took the pump motor apart and found a small amount of corrosion on the push-on terminals. After cleaning and reseating, the pump worked fine, but just to be sure, I soldered all the wires on the 5 or 6 push-on connectors inside the pump.
There was no corrosion inside the pump, as if it had been exposed to any dampness, only corrosion on the terminals...... SO, if you've got a CSI pump thats a few years old, you might want to check/solder these wires on as preventative maintenance item. -- Bill --

GT37 3600lbs...as featured on the cover of Pontiac Enthusiast Jan/Feb 2002 DOT/mufflers-all motor
6.49 @ 108
10.14 @ 133

10.09 @ 133
Old 05-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Dielectric grease will solve that problem I would think.....we use it where I work, on connections for sensors and such to prevent corrosion.These parts are exposed to a mixture of water and sodium 24hrs a day 5 days a week and 12 hrs a day on saturday and sunday and the stuff works like a dream.
Just an idea....better than having to solder it together.At least this way you can get it apart easy if you need to work on it.
Colin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It might not have been corrosion but Electrolisys. This happens over time when two different metals are touching each other, such as brass lug on wire and post being made of steel.

When usure ask. BIGGERISBETTER-78 Catalina 400 .060, 3.73 spool, :TH350. 15 yrs in NHRA tech ret. Check em out, www.nhra.com. or www.ihra.com or to find tracks www.chasinracin.com

Old 05-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Tikiklubracing,
What does the name stand for and what's the 4 door? The pic is too small to tell.