Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your replys so far. I really appreciate ALL of your help. Here's another one. Fitting my blower intake and you know the story.Nothing fits the way it's supposed to! With the bolt holes lined up on one side, they're off about 1/16 on the other. So I need to elongate the holes a little on both sides. In the past I've used my air grinder with a small, grinding bit that works great on metal but gets plugged up real quick when used on aluminum. What type of (bit) works the best on aluminum? Again, I appreciate your help, Dil

Old 05-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your replys so far. I really appreciate ALL of your help. Here's another one. Fitting my blower intake and you know the story.Nothing fits the way it's supposed to! With the bolt holes lined up on one side, they're off about 1/16 on the other. So I need to elongate the holes a little on both sides. In the past I've used my air grinder with a small, grinding bit that works great on metal but gets plugged up real quick when used on aluminum. What type of (bit) works the best on aluminum? Again, I appreciate your help, Dil

Old 05-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dil, they sell aluminum specific grinding burrs. The are typically large spiral fluted bits. Use auto trans fluid when grinding aluminum.

fasteddy

Old 05-22-2003, 03:05 PM
Senior Chief

I use a carbide steel burr dipped frequently in WD40 or kerosene,works fine.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can get the specific aluminum burrs or a double-cutt carbide burr of varying shpes to do this at Grainger, Mcmaster-Carr, Summit, etc...
I would recommend a carbide double-cutt since you're not removing too much material. Use the cylinder shape w/ a flat or rounded end.
The rounded end will come in more handy for other jobs & radiusing. They come in different lengths and diameters.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just keep brushing the clogged file with your file card. A file card is a file cleaner and cost about 3.00 at the hardware store.

When usure ask. BIGGERISBETTER-78 Catalina 400 .060, 3.73 spool, :TH350. 15 yrs in NHRA tech ret. Check em out, www.nhra.com. or www.ihra.com or to find tracks www.chasinracin.com

Old 05-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taff:
I use a carbide steel burr dipped frequently in WD40 or kerosene,works fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

like Taff said WD-40! works great.

Old 05-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info. I've done a little grinding here and there and was dreading doing this. I used to use a scribe to get the aluminum out from in between the blades, What a pain in the a#@. I tried the WD-40. Wow! I had shavings flying everywhere. It took me less than 10 minutes to ream out 10 holes. Thanks again, Dil