Old 06-12-2016, 10:52 PM

Default Seeking Advice on Getting A/C Working

'67 GTO, I've owned for 35 years, A/C probably hasn't worked in 20 years. The car has all of the original A/C components still installed. The compressor shows signs of leaking oil at the front behind the clutch, the sight glass in the drier is cracked. I don't believe that there's anything wrong with the condenser or the evaporator. I'd like to get the a/c working again.

I would assume that I'd want a more modern compressor (keeping the original), replace the drier. What else would I need to do to have the A/C working? I don't work on A/C myself. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on how you'd approach this system, what would you do to get the best result? Which refrigerant, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help I get!

EDIT - I realized that I posted this to the 66-67 GTO forum, I meant to post it in Heating & Cooling tech, if someone can move it.

Last edited by Longs; 06-12-2016 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Seeking Advice on Getting A/C Working

Well if your looking for one persons opinion this is what I did, my 66 air unit hadn't worked in years and the original took up so much room under the hood so I went with Vintage Air, absolutely no regrets fairly easy install works great. just my opinion. jd grim 66 gto

Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the original A/C in my 67 but I replaced the A-6 compressor with an S-6. The S-6 is a direct replacement for the A-6 but is lighter and more efficient. To the casual observer it looks like the A-6 but the clutch is different. And, I upgraded the condenser . I think both pieces came from Classic Auto Air in Florida. I also replaced the hoses and POA valve. The POA valve is calibrated to run R-134. Again, from Classic Auto Air.
The one thing I didn't replace is now giving me trouble and that is the vent fan. I bought a new one but haven't had the chance to change it out yet.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would just update it... Get rid of all the moving parts. Use an evaporator out of a 78 firebird, an accumulator out of the same vehicle. Original condenser or after market. An a compressor and brackets out of a 80 or 81 firebird/T/A.

Evaporator new about $100
Accumulator new about $20
R4 Compressor new(not rebuilt) $175
Compressor brackets- hunt for 79-81 301 Firebird or Lemans/Grand Am.
Hoses custom made. Under $100.

I use this set up and my A/C blows ice cold...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars