THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Angry flyers vs pens

wild game!

have no idea why the pens keep putting vokoun in the net????? it's like they automatically are losing before the game even starts. no reason fluerry can't play every game, they just sit in the goal crease all game anyways...

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM

Wonder if they all got together after the game and went out for a couple of cold ones!
No love lost there....

Old 02-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
No reason fluerry can't play every game, they just sit in the goal crease all game anyways...
That's a question I've had for a long time, maybe an NHL fan (or someone who played at a pro level) can answer. Whenever the goalie falls on the puck, even if it's only 4 minutes into the game, and they only had 2 shots on him, he takes his mask off and guzzles some Gatorade, and he appears to be sweating. Yet the whole time, he was just standing there.

Is it because of all the equipment he's wearing? Does the goalie actually get hot out on the ice? I know they don't skate, so they don't get any breeze on them, and I know they don't take a break every 2 minutes like the other players, but most of the time they just stand there, and it's friggin' freezing just standing on the ice.

I'll come back to this thread when (and if) the Blackhawks ever lose.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
That's a question I've had for a long time, maybe an NHL fan (or someone who played at a pro level) can answer. Whenever the goalie falls on the puck, even if it's only 4 minutes into the game, and they only had 2 shots on him, he takes his mask off and guzzles some Gatorade, and he appears to be sweating. Yet the whole time, he was just standing there.

Is it because of all the equipment he's wearing? Does the goalie actually get hot out on the ice? I know they don't skate, so they don't get any breeze on them, and I know they don't take a break every 2 minutes like the other players, but most of the time they just stand there, and it's friggin' freezing just standing on the ice.

I'll answer your question when the Islanders win a game.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Thanks Flyers - kept the HABS 1st in the EAST .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A74B0B66C1DF71E7E61A9B2A496.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	313923  

Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Goalies

The only reason I would keep Fleury out of the net and play Vokoun is so when you have to play the Flyers in the playoffs they haven't had the chance to have real game experience against him to be able to dial in their shots and deflections on net. Having said that I also don't believe Bylsma is that sharp. Of course they have game videos to watch to see what his bad habits /weaknesses are but that is no substitute for real game exposure. Ed IMHO Bylsma dropped the ball on that call.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Game was CRAZY
Gotta admit though we got a S**T goal to win and its about time too

Those are the type of Goals that Bryzgalov lets in on a regular basis it seems

GO FLYERS GO

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard fought but the better team won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even though they **** the bed 15 min ago.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Hard fought but the better team won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even though they **** the bed 15 min ago.
Yep big dump tonight

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post

Man o man, you think its easy being or getting to be a pro goalie. Haha, If you want the answer I know some pro goalies who will answer that for you but be ready to get alot of passion in the reply.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It wasn't meant as a slam to NHL goalies. I know they're amazingly quick, with cat-like reflexes, and extremely limber.

I was just asking why goalies seem to perspire so much when they appear to be standing most of the time. Is it because they're always tense, watching the puck, and their muscles and nerves are on the edge for 20 minutes at a time? Is it the equipment they're wearing? Is it the helmet that makes their heads and faces hot?

Seems like back when they just wore a Jason-style mask, they never had a sports bottle on top of their net, so I was wondering if it's the helmet that causes so much sweat.

Again, just curious. and was wondering if anyone could answer the question that's perhaps played goalie at a college, semi-pro, or NHL level.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know why they like to get the sweat before the game starts. Most goalies get the sweat going to get the equipment to stick to their body's better. Feeling of being part of the gear.

Nerves and all that warm-up stuff can get it going faster too. Sweat is like the oil is to cars. Not limited to goalies either.....

Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Goalies

Mike, I will say that the reason they are sweating is because the equipment is hot and heavy. I never gave it much thought and back 20 yrs ago I went in net. I had a whole new respect for the position when the game was over. The equipment is indeed bulky, hot, restrictive etc. It ranks right up there with my bunker gear used for firefighting yet more of a pain in the a$$ to wear. As for sweating all the teams do a light skate/warmup before the game and shoot pucks to warm the goalie up. If your muscles aren't warm and stretched then as you know this can lead to pulls and injuries. a goalie who thinks he has been standing around too much and not really in the game because the play is at the other end of the ice (for most of the period) will skate into the corner and back to his crease during faceoffs to keep warm. As for drinking gatorade when it appears like they haven't been busy or during faceoffs is because of the amount of body fluids they lose during the game. We are told that during a fire in the eirst hour we can lose up to 1 litre of water from our bodies. I remember as a rookie I was always being told to drink water on the way to calls and being that I'm not a big water guy I always asked if we get 5 false alarms in a row and I drink 5 litres when we get a real fire will I be any good with a full belly of water. The answer was the bunker suit was taking the water out of the body regardless of temperature. The other thing is if the goalie is being peppered with shots and there are alot of scrambles in front of him it is a good way to slow the momentum of the game down and get your team back in it. A few years back when Canada lost the gold medal to the Russians in the world juniors a buddy who played in the bigs and I were talking. I asked him what he thought about the Russians scoring several back to back goals and the Canadians couldn't stop their momentum. He loks at me and says "Fitz, if I was coaching I'd reach up in the crowd and grab a baby and throw it on the ice if I had to just to stop the momentum." Now before everyone flips out he was just emphasizing the intensity of the thought process of these guys. He was merely pointing out that the momentum the russians had couldn't have been broken at almost any cost.