Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Ran a spool with 4:11s in a 2500 lb 1931 Ford coupe with a 455 Pontiac, a street racer special. Its do able but a royal pain and agree with all the other post. I busted both axles at last track outing and went back to a reg posi.. Just a cruiser car now

Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

5+ years on a 8 3/4 full spool stock axles
Mostly street miles 3.91 gear 3800+ lbs runs high 11s

Never had a problem, but all my cars have spools

Old 01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks.
It sounds like I really don't want the spool. I already have one offer to trade for a non spool open diff on a Mustang site I am on.
Hopefully I can find one more local.
Russ

Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what rear do you have now?
Pontiac jeff is selling DIY posi units under 500$.
that's the route that I would take.
you'll kill yourself with a spool the first time you get caught in the rain.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, like I have said a few times now, I am not going to use the spool. Although there seems to be a decent split between those who say like you do, and those who say they have run them on the street for years. ??? Too much confusion for my simple brain.

I currently have an 8.2 with like 2.56 gears (yuck), but the thing is I don't want that. I want a Ford 9 inch, and that is what I am buying. It has 3.90 gears which is right in the middle of my desired range. I will just have to replace the spool. Maybe with an Auburn differential, or I may have to go cheap right now and just use an open diff.

I had considered and was even looking around for a Buick or Olds 1972 corp 8.5, but that still wasn't what I really wanted. Since I am able to buy one, I want to buy what I want.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Russ, just to give you an idea of how tough it is to run a locked rear axle on the street. One of my former mechanics had a 12 bolt in his 71 Le Mans with a welded spider gears which is the same as a spool or a mini spool (formerly in one of my dirt cars). At one point it didn't run and we were pushing it by hand, he went to steer it into the service bay and as soon as he turned the wheel it felt as though he stomped on the brakes. That's how much it puts the tires in a bind on a corner. We had to use my wrecker to push it through the turn as 2 of us pushing it couldn't overcome the tires being in a bind. As Mick said it's really hard on axles too, especially on asphalt.

Do as your planning, install your open rear axle and convert it to some type of posi when your able, your car will be a pleasure to drive instead of a hazard..................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why, when you tell us how tight things are, and about your health problems and all this struggling your having; are you hell bent for a ford rear that will require more money to purchase; then more yet to modify to fit your car and suit your needs?
doesn't sound like you'd be blowing up the 8.2 or whatever you have any time soon.
"because that's what I want" you said.
well, ok.

Last edited by F ROCK; 01-14-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe you missed my recent post about getting a tax refund soon? That is going to allow me to pretty much do the car as I want it, except for the engine and paint. I don't want to spend money or effort twice if I can avoid it.

The 9 inch is already modified for an A body car. It was listed for sale on here by another member. It has a spool, which is what led me to revive this thread. The spool will be going away one way or another. I was just wanting to make absolutely sure that the spool wouldn't be a good idea before spending money on replacing it. I was going to buy brand new, but this deal, even with replacing the spool, is better. Or at least less expensive.

Health problems, yeah I had a heart attack. I have tried to make it clear that I am fully (more or less) back to where I was before, with the exception of getting tired more easily. It did wake the eff out of me though, and made me realise that I need to get stuff done that I want to instead of piddling about for years. Also trying to get my health where it should be. Eating less and stopping (per dr's orders) one of my anti depressants is causing me to be a bit grouchy. Sorry.

I honestly didn't mean to cause anyone confusion but apparently I have. Sorry.

Russ

Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a mini spool on the street in a 73 Ventura for a few years. As mentioned above, it was impossible to push if the steering wheel was turned the slightest amount, and it was hard on the axles. This wasn't a daily driver, but a street/strip car that ran high 12s. I put it in after I broke the locker I had in it at first, and didn't have the funds to put another locker or a posi in it. Actual driving didn't bother me (never in the rain), but the car did break a couple of axle shafts. I don't know for sure that they broke because of stress from the spool (they both broke at the track. Once at launch and once hitting second gear). Eventually, I put a Moser 12 bolt in it, so that solved both issues. Either way, if you can avoid it, and it appears you can, I wouldn't do it...

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am