THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:43 AM

Default AMD discontinuing many GM parts

This is alarming. I can't figure some of these out like the '68-'70 GTO hoods, '66-'67 Fenders, trunk pans, door shells and skins, gas tanks. I would think they would be good sellers.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/page/...ed-gm-car.html

Old 03-05-2020, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hate to see this, but it makes it clear that in not too many years, restoring one of our beloved old Pontiacs will not be possible. For all those that complain about the quality of repro parts, especially body parts, our hobby would be dead by now without them. I often think, for example, about restoring a carburetor 20 years from now. There will be no kits, gaskets, or other parts manufactured due to lack of demand. Same with engine bearings, gaskets, rings, cams, etc.

I just came from our local machine shop, Appleton Crankshaft, to see a sign on the door--no new work after 2-29-2020--retiring. I spoke with the owner, who said he has not been able to find anyone to take over the business. I've heard that Butler is one year out on engine builds because they are so busy. Some of this simply does not make sense, but it's real!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be a lot of reasons besides lack of sales. Market might be saturated, other companies may be making a better product, they might be clearing out some part numbers to be replaced by a newer, better part.

I suspect some of it is declining interest, some of it as simple as most people with these cars have already restored them, and some of it that several manufacturers are making the same part.

Some good prices on those discontinued items.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Whoa...nice deal on the GTO hood and hinges. Can anyone vouch for the quality/fitment of these hoods?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

The market has really fallen of on repop panel sales in my area. Unless the car is valuable or sentimental it's half price to buy one done. Most of the panels listed on AMD closeout are for full size cars that are falling off in popularity.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, it seems like NOW would be the time to buy a couple of fenders, hoods, etc, and keep them in the attic.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. It was too late to get in on the hood, but I did get a pair of the Corvette bumpers.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if they are high complaint items. Ones where maybe their stampings weren't that good and they didn't want to improve them.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

The drip rail moulding will fit the 64-65 Pontiac A body, hardtop, and it should fit the post. I bought a set and it is a nice kit and it does fit for a good price.

Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Per the owner, these were simply not good movers. Some were items that they didn't have made; they stocked them to have a complete line.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I caught a hotel tonight nearby so I can pick up a trunk floor first thing tomorrow; my travels this week had me running I-85. I was gonna brave Atlanta traffic and get home to LA late tonight, but I'll be rested instead. Unusual that I'm using my own vehicle for this trip, it's my Silverado and not my Roadmaster wagon. Might grab a hood and doors too.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When these parts, especially large sheet metal are reproduced, they are stamped out in quantities of hundreds. 500, 1000 etc. The larger quantity resulting in a lower per unit cost. In the case of 68-70 hoods, and 65-7 hoods, those have been available for over 15 years. Maybe 18 years for the 68-70 hoods. I don't know how many runs they have done, but quite probably the manufacturer does not believe they can make money doing another run. From a business standpoint, I can agree with them, but from a hobby standpoint it is disappointing.

In retrospect, these parts were available almost as long or longer than the GM versions.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate the heads-up, paid off for me. All items were listed at half off and the counter guy threw me another 10% off, whole deal was under a grand.

Scored a complete trunk floor and both doors for our 69 LeMans convertible, and a bonus of the 2 support struts for the 69 Firebird convertible that I didn't know I needed when I go to swap the quarters on that car. They were down to the last 2 or 3 of those. Bought those quarters here a couple months ago.

Only glitch was I didnt know they had moved 30 miles north from Buford to Gainesville.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200306_143832.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	533948  

Old 03-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Appreciate the heads-up, paid off for me. All items were listed at half off and the counter guy threw me another 10% off, whole deal was under a grand.

Scored a complete trunk floor and both doors for our 69 LeMans convertible, and a bonus of the 2 support struts for the 69 Firebird convertible that I didn't know I needed when I go to swap the quarters on that car. They were down to the last 2 or 3 of those. Bought those quarters here a couple months ago.

Only glitch was I didnt know they had moved 30 miles north from Buford to Gainesville.
What did you think about their new digs?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-06-2020, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
When these parts, especially large sheet metal are reproduced, they are stamped out in quantities of hundreds. 500, 1000 etc. The larger quantity resulting in a lower per unit cost. In the case of 68-70 hoods, and 65-7 hoods, those have been available for over 15 years. Maybe 18 years for the 68-70 hoods. I don't know how many runs they have done, but quite probably the manufacturer does not believe they can make money doing another run. From a business standpoint, I can agree with them, but from a hobby standpoint it is disappointing.

In retrospect, these parts were available almost as long or longer than the GM versions.
My guess: reproduction panels are probably made with Kirksite dies, which wear out relatively quickly. Tooiing up to get new dies made costs more money than it's worth, so they discontinue the part after current stock is sold.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
What did you think about their new digs?
I didn't get past the lobby and loading area, but coming up on it was much more impressive than where they were.